iOS 7 changes

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Perfect Score, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Perfect Score macrumors member

Perfect Score

Our team is currently in the midst of building a football pool app for iOS 6. (Hopefully it'll be approved and out before the changeover happens..) With the news of iOS7 being released on Sep 10, I wanted to see what you guys think the impact could be.

The app store seems to be similar with a few aesthetics changes. The phone interface seems to be massively overhauled. There may be a number of backend changes.

Bottom line - how much rework do you guys anticipate will be required for the new OS? What will be your major concern? And how challenging do you think it will be to work with iOS7?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I suggest asking questions like this at devforums.apple.com, where the NDA doesn't prohibit those that have the answer from communicating with you.

3. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

We are on the fence now with our apps. The tools aren't approved for release yet, so you can't use Xcode 5 for production work, and Xcode 5 changes your storyboards and XIBs in a way that's not backwards compatible with iOS 6.

Also, Apps built with Xcode 5 seem to have lots more layout problems than those built with Xcode 4.6, even if you don't change anything.

We're doing limited testing in Xcode 5 on a branch, and mostly building our apps with Xcode 4.6.3, installing our apps on iOS 7 devices using iTunes.

So far everything looks good.

4. Perfect Score thread starter macrumors member

Perfect Score

Thank you guys for the response.

@ArtofWarfare - I'll check out devforums.apple.com. I assume all developers that has iOS7 beta signed NDAs so they can't get specific about their learnings?

@DuncanC - Can you elaborate on the layout problems on Xcode 5 vs Xcode 4.6? This is exactly the kind of problem I don't like to hear (but need to find out) :eek:

Though it's good that you say Xcode 5 branch is going smoothly.

5. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I just tried to use Xcode 5 with an app built for iOS 6 and yeah, it looks like a mess. I ran it in the iOS7 simulator and it was all messed up in terms of layout. Opening your app in Xcode 5 and running it in the simulator is not representative of how an iOS6 app will run on iOS7.

Just remember this. If you submit your app now as an iOS6 app, it'll run on iOS 7 like an iOS6 app. Old style status bar, keyboard, buttons etc.

Knowing it'll work OK in iOS7 means you can take your time getting used to Xcode 5 (maybe even wait for it to come out of beta) and then work on optimising it for iOS7.

6. xStep macrumors 68000

A team at our client is testing such an situation. A quip from one of the testers is they are seeing some problems. I haven't had any time to look further. So, do test older SDK based apps on iOS 7 because you may still find unexpected behavior.

7. Roman Oparin, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014

Roman Oparin macrumors newbie

Desprite the NDA, there are lots of material, even the logs of changes. In short:

- Standard UI elements will look differently in iOS 7

[​IMG]

- Applications using UDID will be banned from AppStore
    - MAC address seize to exist as a unique identifier
    - New permissions will be required: to initiate sound recording; to initiate video recording (China only).
    - Will forbidden to create subclasses based on classes of AddressBookUI framework
    - The UIViewGroupOpacity key will be enabled by default.