iOS 7 Contacts App

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

As much as I like iOS 7 I'm still not sure why Apple hasn't revamped the Contacts App.

1. You cannot add a contact group from the device itself. I found out you can do it from iCloud however.

2. If I add 2 groups "Family" and "Restaurants" there is no easy way to move around between the groups. the current workflow is:

- Open contacts app
    - Tap the "groups" link at the top left
    - Tap the group you wish to view.

Repeat these steps every time you wish to see a subset of your contacts.

For example as a work around I'm putting the word "restaurant" in front of every restaurant I have in my contacts. e.g. Restaurant Malbec, Restaurant Hugo's, Restaurant Mari Vanna so that they all show up in the "R's".

Either I'm missing something or Apple just hasn't thought too much about this.

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

A way to swipe between groups would be useful. I guess we can post feedback and hope Apple listens.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, Apple ruined the very easy to use Contacts app when they released iOS6.
    It worked much better in iOS5.

4. AMPoulos macrumors newbie

AMPoulos

Contacts (formally Address Book) is a bit more user intuitive, but not without a few obvious flaws.

Creating a customized label name in iOS 6 is a PITA. You must scroll past the default names list, and then go all the way to the end of the custom names to get to the Add Custom Label choice, where finally a Text Entry Box opens. iOS 7 is an improvement in that the Add Custom Label choice is at the beginning of the custom name list, at least on my iPad.

However, another misstep in Apple's software proofing shows up in iOS 7 when the Custom Label list order is displayed chronologically, rather than alphabetically. Try searching that way if the list is long. So I guess it still is a PITA, and maybe even more useless. It's faster to just re-create the label.

What is still most troubling to me concerning the new mobile OS is the graphic interface, or lack of. The Contacts application depicts how pathetic it looks, feeling somewhat like there is degree of toxicity to it. Up until this point after 25+ treasured years computing with Apple products, this really has affected my belief in their ability to define and produce a genuinely user friendly GUI like those of the past. What a disappoint to think that iOS 7 met Apple's approval.

anotheR ouT-oF-characteR desigN usE iN contactS anD elsewherE iS texT phraseS/labelS withouT firsT letteR worD capitalizatioN. i don'T quitE geT thE purposE oF noT Formalizing texT iN applicationS withiN formatteD pageS. iS thiS aN unwritteN desigN laW?

add photo Add Photo home Home add phone Add Phone add email Add Email add address Add Address add birthday Add Birthday add date Add Date add related name Add Related Name add social profile Add Social Profile add instant message Add Instant Message