Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ram27

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Or at least, it seems to.

Look how it...reversed the gloss, or something, on the Sleep Cycle icon.

4SbP6uc.jpg

This is what the icon normally looks like.

ryyfxnR.png

It was last updated in March, so it's not a newer version.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It couldn't have added the drop shadow to the clock, though. It's changed from an inner shadow to a drop shadow. Weird.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iPads show slightly different (developer provided) icons than the iPhone version of the app? So all universal apps would come with two icons. Perhaps because there's no gloss, it's showing this version?

I might be completely wrong :D

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
As most developers know, Apple adds an option for you to "add a layer" gloss to your icon via xcode settings. All Apple has done is removed this.

So apps that have this setting ticked in xcode, will have their gloss removed. Some apps use their own designed gloss, some don't. That's why you see inconsistencies.

Strang0r

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
A couple of my icons are broken.... I tired deleting and reinstalling but they are still broken. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372181888.190743.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372181897.672124.jpg

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
this was covered in a podcast I was listening to. Apparently the Dunkin Donuts app icon is completely different on iOS 7 and no one knows why LOL.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
As most developers know, Apple adds an option for you to "add a layer" gloss to your icon via xcode settings. All Apple has done is removed this.

So apps that have this setting ticked in xcode, will have their gloss removed. Some apps use their own designed gloss, some don't. That's why you see inconsistencies.

Re-quoting myself so you guys can see the answer.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Re-quoting myself so you guys can see the answer.

That doesn't explain how the clock's hands went from having rounded edges to having straight edges. There's more going on here besides a simple gloss removal automation.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
That doesn't explain how the clock's hands went from having rounded edges to having straight edges. There's more going on here besides a simple gloss removal automation.

You realize the icons you see in the App Store (or on iTunes on your PC) are NOT the app icons you see on your homescreen?

I mean yes, most designers match both the iTunes-Large.png(or w/e it's called) and the icon64.png(or w/e it's called, can't remember off hand) but some do not.

That's why you are seeing differences. The iTunes/App Store icons are SEPARATE from the iOS springboard icons but are usually designed to match eachother, not always the case.

So yes, this is just a case of Apple removing the gloss effect from icons that have it enabled on the springboard. The developers with their own custom designed gloss will not see this change.

Last edited:

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Some icons have the gloss added within the icon and then in the applications plist definition, instruct apple not to add a gloss... Which would explain why some icons have the gloss even though iOS 7 removes the gloss effect.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

You are showing a screen shot of the App Store. When submitting an app, multiple icons must be submitted, and the large App Store icon is different than the icon you see on your home screen. It's possible that they did not have a large icon when that requirement was made and had to make a new one (but still used the old small app icons that already existed). That's what I had to do with my app.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
On a slightly related note, I hope twitter change their icon soon. I hated it before but now it also looks out of place. I never understood why they didn't use a flat icon like the majority of their design work is! :confused:

vcao

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
On a slightly related note, I hope twitter change their icon soon. I hated it before but now it also looks out of place. I never understood why they didn't use a flat icon like the majority of their design work is! :confused:

ha! I just tweeted at them this after noon to get their act together

Strang0r

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
My chrome icon shows fine... Try hardbooting...

Tried a hard reboot, didn't fix it.

Deleted the apps and then did another hard reboot. Same thing happened again once the apps were reinstalled.

Its strange as they show the correct icon while downloading and installing but as soon as it finishes the install the icon breaks... Chrome's icon seems to show a tiny preview of a blank tab and Clash of the Clans just has a black icon.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
iBooks is still glossy in b2.

Check these:

So yes, this is just a case of Apple removing the gloss effect from icons that have it enabled on the springboard. The developers with their own custom designed gloss will not see this change.

Some icons have the gloss added within the icon and then in the applications plist definition, instruct apple not to add a gloss... Which would explain why some icons have the gloss even though iOS 7 removes the gloss effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.