iOS 7 Flickr Integration - Total Fail

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rhino89, Sep 13, 2013.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

I was so excited that Flickr integration is possible with iOS 7 - but now that I have it up on my 4S, it's a fail (just like the message and email sharing of photos...

You are limited to sharing 10 photos. After that, the Flickr option disappears from the sharing menu that pops up. Seriously? Who uploads 10 vacation photos?

I guess we have to stick to just using the app and uploading it that way...

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So you're saying there is an option to do it the way you want and always has been...and probably just as fast...:confused:

I find their built-in options are there for nothing more than convenience and quick uploads. Take one shot and you want it on there to share.

3. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

I get what you're saying, but then why integrate facebook when there's always been a facebook app that you can just use? It's as if you were limited to 50 characters on a facebook status post if you tried doing it the integrated way. It's not hard to open the app and do it the old way, but if you're going to integrate, it helps users if you make the integration deeper. Emailing photos is the same problem - good luck emailing more than 10 photos to someone, you know?

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

an app is a TOTAL FAIL because you can only upload 10 pictures at a time? How is that a total fail?

BTW nobody cares about your hundreds of very similar, blurry pictures of your feet, your kids, and water.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

The limit for emails is 5 :(

6. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

For exactly the same reason I said...so one could give a quick update without having to open the app...but those features for Facebook and Twitter are gone now from the notification center. :(

I do quick uploads (photos) to both Facebook and Twitter all the time, but that doesn't mean I want to go in the app.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

honestly though, if I'm going to be more polite, might I suggest Dropbox? It's a lot easier to get them online that way.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Can't you just use the Flickr app (which is now pretty good) when you need to do heavy loading? I think that is better anyway, if you want to create sets, tags, etc.

Having simple way for easy posting of occasional snapshots to your Flickr stream is probably the main use case for the Flickr integration. I'm not sure why they intentionally limited it to 10 photos, but I don't think it's a big deal.

----------

A thing that actually happened to me-

My father-in-law was complaining that his computer wasn't working, the internet didn't work, etc. After walking through it with him, I figured out the problem was Mail.app on his Mac. The specific issue was that he had sent some emails with photos...turns out his outbox was trying to sending emails with over a 100 full-sized photos each, and it was bogging everything down.

I'm not saying 10 photos is the right cut-off (off the top of my head I would pick 20 or so), but they probably limit it so people don't make mistakes like this. Any more than 10-15 and I'm probably using the Flickr app because I'll likely want to put them all in a set.

OTOH there's no point in limiting a Facebook post to 50 characters, because hey they're just individual characters, not multi-MB files.

----------

Flickr is a very popular site for sharing photos. You can post to groups, friends and family can follow you, there are tags and EXIF's, etc. It's just a totally different thing than Dropbox. Plus Flickr now gives you 1 TB of storage for even the free accounts.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I know, but it's quicker to upload everything at once to dropbox and batch add them to flickr from the desktop, because if you're serious about your photos, I can hope you wouldn't mind managing them from the desktop.

You could also think of photo stream, OP, if the people in your life have apple devices :)

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

At least with emails there's a workaround where can just check a bunch of photos in the Photos app and then Copy and paste them into an email.

11. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Ah I see, that makes sense.

I haven't turned on automatic upload because I have a lot of random/junk photos in my roll, but I should probably try it sometime.

13. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Anyone wanting to email more than 5 photos, in one email, to someone else should first make certain that the receiver is okay with their doing such.

Personally, I'd not be happy to have someone send an email overloaded with photos and have it bogging up my email, but that's just me.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Mmm... I only check with people if they're not using Gmail. I also judge them for it. :rolleyes:

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

LMAO! Nice!

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

iPhone lets you resize them to a more manageable size before it sends, jeez.

The receiver is responsible for managing their inbox. They're not obliged to keep the email after they've viewed/saved any photos they want.