iOS 7 font complain

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Dreamer2go, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

in Beta 3, the regular Helvetica Neue was used, such as the lock screen's info on the top of the screen. In the home screen, Helvetica Neue Ultra Light was used. Inconsistency here.

Then the Notification center uses the regular font too (or is it just "light")?

That really destroyed the "cleanliness" of the iOS 7 now. Especially the app store uses the regular font too.
    The Ultralight wasn't that hard to read to begin with...

I wish we can have an option to use the lighter Helvetica Neue Ultra Light font.
    Anyone agrees?

2. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Apple uses ultralight and people complain.

They remove it, people complain.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I agree. We already have the ability to set dynamic text size, which will affect future apps that implement this text format. It seems silly that this slider doesn't also manipulate the system font.

4. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I actually hate the font. Too slim. I like a bolder font and I like the buttons to be bigger as well.

5. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

It's always going to be like that. Get used to it :D

6. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Turn on bold text option in settings/general/accessibility, I think it looks best being bolder, but I also think app level settings would be better.

7. Dreamer2go thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually didn't complain on the beta 1's font... I thought it matches the simplicity. I just hope there is an option to slim it down... just like there is an option to make it all bold.

8. Janschi macrumors newbie

I 2nd that.

9. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

When in reality, most of the people don't even care that the font is thicker by merely a few pixels.

10. larry918 macrumors regular

Honestly, the UI changes in iOS 7 (including the font) are what made me decide to upgrade. Apple usually knows what they're doing, just use it for a while longer and it'll grow on you. I even messed around with some code in ML to change the default font on my Notes app to Helvetica Neue Ultralight :)

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

People are gonna complain either way

They're mostly older people too :p

12. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I hope Apple don't listen to you. Gone are the days of iOS 6! :)

13. mumph macrumors regular

When it comes to type, typefaces have different weights for a reason. Neue Helvetica for example starts at Ultra light or Ultra Thin I can't remember which is the thinner and then gets bolder right up to Ultra Black.

Having a single weight font on everything will cause more problems than having differing weights. The different weights are used to denote hierarchy. Emboldened type is usually used to highlight more important aspects amongst similar type. However, it is also used when light type at small sizes simply becomes to thin to be legible. So the smaller type gets, the bolder it needs to be to retain legibility, when done well most people cant tell the difference.

This is why you will find, Im guessing (I havent had a real good look at iOS7 yet) that the larger type is Ultra Light and the smaller type is used in varying degrees of heavier weight. It's a fine balance and also kind of a hypocritical in places but it is necessary for the different weights.

I'm working on my own site at the moment and dealing with this as we speak. I have 300 weight for titles and headers and 500 weight for body copy (smaller type) but to the eye everything looks 300 when viewed relatively.

14. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Everything should be Ultralight. The font size and bold options are already implemented for those who have trouble seeing it.

15. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

:confused:

Helvetica Neue Ultra Light is used very infrequently in iOS7. The system font was originally Helvetica Neue Light and it was switched to Helvetica Neue Regular. Ultra Light is only used in places like the time on the lock screen, the temperature in weather, etc. It's very/I] light, totally illegible at normal sizes.

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I had to do this on the iPad mini. The text looks ok without it apart from under the icons on the home screen. They just look shocking and pixellated, much worse than iOS 6, without bold enabled.

17. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Personally, I hope to see Comic Sans used throughout by the time the GM hits.

----------

This is what I don't understand. Everyone was complaining about the font being too thin. But there are options not only to increase the size of the font but also to increase the font weight. Now they removed the light font altogether and there are no options available to those who preferred it.

18. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The font size option only applies to the font in certain places. It is not a system wide setting.

19. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

They should at least keep the carrier/battery/wifi icon/etc size consistent between the home screen and lock screen.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yeah, don't you just hate those old people. They just complain, complain, complain.

The reason is that they're not as smart and cool and as aesthetically sophisticated as the younger people.

Actually, I think most of those old people should be killed, or at least made to keep their gummy old mouths' shut.

Just one man's opinion, of course...:p :D

:rolleyes: ;)

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Glad you said what everyone was thinking ;)

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've heard that some cultures used to put their old people out on ice flows after their usefulness had passed. Just sayin' :p

23. zone23 macrumors 68000

I just make the font bold, problem solved for me.

24. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Well I am 33 and not old. Just not a fan of super thin fonts.

25. PaulOBrain macrumors regular