iOS 7 from an Android users perspective.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Southernboyj, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Southernboyj, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I was a longtime iPhone user, I've owned every single one that's been released.
    However, last year I started getting bored with iOS and felt extremely underwhelmed with iOS 6.

I switched to Android. I did however, keep my iPad and I use several Macs. I've used multiple Android devices but I'm currently using an HTC One. It is running Cyanogenmod 10.1 which is essentially a stock version of Android 4.2.2. I thought Android 4.2 was miles ahead of iOS 6.

When I saw iOS 7, one of the first things I noticed about it, apart from the new UI was that most of it's features are basically features Android already had. Such as the quick controls. That being said, as a consumer.. I don't care. I like it. I think Jony Ive did an exceptional job on the new UI.

To me, the new UI looks a lot more Android-like. Whether you guys want to admit it or not. It's like Jelly Bean and iOS had a baby. I love that though. It almost feels like the best of both worlds. It's truly making me want to carry an iPhone again.

I still wish Apple would release an iPhone with a bigger display, but they're optimizing their screen real estate to kind of make up for that.

To wrap up, I really like the new interface and it's making me heavily consider switching back to iOS. Apple did a spectacular job. The only thing apart from screen size I'd miss is the stock JB keyboard and it's swyping ability.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Thanks for the balanced perspective. It is always good to hear.

I think it is time for everyone to move on from thinking that it is a zero sum game. I am willing to admit that features have been borrowed or lifted completely, nor does it bother me when Android or Windows Phone gain a hot new feature.

I prefer iOS and am glad it is moving forward. I don't really care if someone prefers something different than I do. It is their money.

*tip of the hat to Ive and the gang*

3. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I have to totally agree with you.

I'm seriously thinking about the next iphone.

I know I'll get it if

A. Screen is bigger
    B. It's jailbroken

Get those 2 together and I'll own my first iphone I've had in a long time

Ios is finally catching up

4. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

I read a good write up about this on mashable. They said that companies borrowing features from each other is a sign that the industry has matured and that consumers now know what they want their phones to do.

http://mashable.com/2013/06/10/ios-7-perfecting-mobile-os/

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

This update has made me extremely excited. I don't understand why users get so angry when companies borrow features from each other. When they do they, we win.

If Google takes a feature from iOS and improves it, then Apple could also implement similar improvements. The result is many people having great experiences.

When Ice Cream Sandwich released, it was a major step forward that Jelly Bean polished. Android had improved a lot. With iOS 7, I have the same feeling for iPhones.

For the past year, when one of my friends are using an iPhone, I've felt like they're missing out on a ton of features. That bridge narrowed today.

The only 2 things I hope for in the future from Apple are:

1. A bigger display
    2. Opening up API's (Which Tim Cook said will happen)

6. cualexander macrumors 6502a

The opening up is what I had hoped for, but I'm not seeing it happening anytime soon. Apple really needs to let people pick a default browser, and share things between other apps, if they want to beat Android. I switched to Android briefly after having owned every iPhone, and I liked those features. I left Android because the battery life was horrible at the time, but at the rate they are changing, Apple is getting further behind. By the time iOS 7 is actually released, there will be so many new Android phones it will look outdated.