General iOS 7 GM to be released 02/09/13 as beta ends?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Risco, Sep 2, 2013.

1. batting1000 macrumors 604

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Doubtful. It's Labor Day. America is sleeping. Call back later.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

our friends across the pond put the day first in the date. today is 2 september 2013.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

I know. I was merely stating that it's already that date and nothing has and nothing will be released today.

5. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

I am from the UK, so I typed it correct…...

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The article says nothing about it releasing on September 2nd (or Feb 9th).

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Technically that isn't true. A GM can be released before a public release. And with iOS often is. So developers can lock their final updates, test them and submit them to go live on or very shortly after public release.

Rather like the traditional use of the term GM for the locked version that would be pressed to disk, the GM of iOS is locked and loaded on new device models. So by releasing it now the developers can be sure their stuff works for those that buy a new model iPhone and load it, avoiding negative reviews and such.

Nothing happened today because it is a national holiday in the US but a beta 7 that is in effect the final 'locked' version (barring any last minute discovered major bug) could go out tomorrow. With the public release 2-4 weeks away

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Except Apple hasn't released the GM before the press event for any other version of iOS.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Sure they have. They just don't label it as the GM.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Lol, what are you talking about? They've never released the GM before a press event.

11. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

What does that have to do with anything? Betas always expire after the next one (or two) have been released.

13. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

GM tomorrow?

Reports are saying we'll get the iOS 7 GM tomorrow. Personally, I doubt it, but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility. I think it depends on two things: First, whether the GM is ready. If it is, then I think it depends on how much attention Apple wants to give iOS 7 at the iPhone event.

They may have some surprises in the GM that they plan to unveil at the Event. If so, we won't see the GM until that day.

But it's also possible that the GM looks exactly like beta 6 with the bugs squashed. In that case, why wait? Indeed, Apple might want the iPhone event to focus exclusively on the iPhone. They might not want the unveiling of the final version of iOS 7 to steal any of the iPhone's thunder. If they release the GM a week ahead of time, it'll be old news by the time of the Event, and all attention can be given to the new iPhone(s).

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

14. RJCP macrumors 6502

Well, those working 5C's that surfaced today up and running must be using the version of iOS that Apple will next release to developers.

My guess is a GM for iPhone seeded to developers this week and availability for public download next week.

Beta 7 will probably continue the iPad optimisation process and a GM should become available at the same time as the iPad media event.

I have no idea how beta 6 is behaving on iPads though, and how far it is from being ready. People's feedback regarding beta 6 on iPhone seems to be mostly positive.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Link?

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

I highly doubt it. Apple has never released a GM prior to an event where the updates availability / launch date will be announced.

----------

There are no links or reports. It's just people hoping it'll be out tomorrow / this week.

17. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Please read the topic of the thread before making a comment.

Thanks.

18. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Hasn't it been confirmed somewhere on this forum that it's out on September 9th?

19. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Beta 3 has just expired and we are on number 6. Makes your point kind of irrelevant doesn't it?

20. DariusX macrumors regular

I thought that was the same site that claimed the release of GM to be today?

App Advice = click bait

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

They also scheduled a post to be made live for when beta 7 was rumored to come out. The post was made public and beta 7 was never released.

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp