iOS 7 Gmail Account

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by viorelgn, Dec 8, 2013.

1. viorelgn, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

viorelgn macrumors 6502

viorelgn

How to set up my gmail account correctly to receive badge icon push notification alerts ?
    I already have gmail app, but I'd like to use Mail. Because Gmail app is not opening web pages in Safari and Google discontiuned the use of exchange.

2. tateu macrumors 6502

Push notifications and the badge icon are two different things. If you do not have an older device that was grandfathered into gmail's exchange service than you cannot get push notifications to the Apple mail app. Personally, I use the gmail app to receive push notifications and have the regular mail app set up as manual fetch.

3. viorelgn thread starter macrumors 6502

viorelgn

I have iPhone 5S

4. tateu macrumors 6502

You cannot get push notifications for gmail through Apple's mail app, then.

5. viorelgn thread starter macrumors 6502

viorelgn

Tell me another good client for gmail ! not gmail app ! Sparrow its ok ?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's the issue with the Gmail app again?

----------

Mailbox.

7. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

According to his first post, the only issue he seems to have with the gmail app is that it "does not open links in Safari." It does though. It initially opens links in an in app browser but has the option to open links in Safari. I assume he either does not know that he can open them in Safari or just prefers that they open immediately in Safari without going through the extra step.

8. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Mailbox is an awesome app, it is integrated with Dropbox so if you use that as well that is a huge plus. The only problem with Mailbox is that it only works with gmail, and I have a Yahoo account I also use and I would like to keep all of the emails in one app so I have settled with Molto, which is nice but I thought mailbox was a little better.