iOS 7 icons that you dislike?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by imaginex20, Jun 10, 2013.

1. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Icons I dislike in iOS 7:

1. Calendar
    2. Stocks
    3. Compass
    4. Safari

Seriously, whats up with the calendar icon? Can it even be considered an icon? haha a 3 y/o can do better. Also the stocks app makes my phone look like I have a hole in my screen. Other than that I like the overall update of iOS 7.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

all of them

gamecenter
    camera
    phone
    mail
    appstore
    itunes

are the worst offenders

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Basically all of them. Game Center the most.

I just don't get why they had to go that far on any of them.

4. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

I hate the new icons too but we don't have to keep making new threads about them.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

they are all shockingly horrifying.

i really cant understand how a company renowned for its aesthetic beauty fail to make something as trivial as decent icons.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Why do the teeth in the Settings app gear have to be so thin? Unless you're close, it just appears to be circles. Looks more like some Sci-fi icon than a gear.

7. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

the calendar is ok, but

newsstand
    game center - I don't know why they did that, it doesnt match the style and it is neither flat nor minimalistic

reminders
    notes
    settings

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

feels so out of place. no consistency in design whatsoever

9. irDigital0l Guest

Calendar
    Reminders
    Game Center
    Compass
    Settings
    Safari
    Newsstand

Music should be more orange

10. washburn macrumors 6502

11. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Agree, maybe Jony Ive isn't the God people make him out to be, and instead an un-inspired, over-hyped designer?

12. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Safari and Settings are pretty bad, don't mind the rest.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't like any of them, but the ones without any white are worse (camera, stocks, settings, compass). The other icons are so much like pop art with bright colors and pops of white, that the dark, ugly ones are even uglier.

I think the stocks icon is probably the worst. It looks like an EKG reading to me.

14. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Settings
    Safari
    Newstand
    AppStore
    Notes
    Mail
    Phone
    Calendar
    FaceTime

and

The Dock
    The yellow text in notes
    The thin system font
    The new switch control. (Off looks disabled rather than off)

15. mumph macrumors regular

I dislike all of them. As a designer I find it quite shocking that there is no one at Apple with sound knowledge of designing icons.

They have done EVERYTHING to a grid. Grids are good, but they need to be flexible. For the icons, there is clearly no flexibility whatsoever. Note the clock icon. It looks ok, its not offensive, now look at the iTunes icon. Its the same sized circle as the clock but having that thin a border that close to the edge of the icon gives it an uncomfortable appearance. They should draw the border slightly thicker and inwards if they insist on being so close to the edge.

That way the outer edge is still the same as the clock et al but the icon feels more secure. Some of the icons are so weak they look like you could wipe them off with your finger. The photos icon for example is terrible. It says nothing at all about what it represents. If it didnt say Photos underneath you would have no clue as to what it was. The same for settings - I mean what the hell is that thing on the settings icon? It looks like a bath plug hole or the back of a hairdryer?!

The compass and stocks icons are simply black squares. They will DEFINITELY need to be kept on separate screens as they look exactly the same on quick glance.

Going back to the circles, Safari is TERRIBLE. Again far too close to the edge giving you an uneasy feeling. You kind of don't want to touch it. It needs a border around the circle and not the flimsy one like on iTunes as I mentioned earlier.

The minimal style is very much my style when it comes to my work but you have to match it to the project. The iOS7 icons are incredibly weak, inconsistent despite the grid, non descriptive and ruin what should be a great iOS7 update. They are for a touch screen, but I dont want to touch these icons, because they seem flimsy and ambiguous.

16. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Safari
    Game Center
    Photos
    Contacts

Interestingly I find that the Calender icon works well with just a white background. But Safari for example just looks like it's not finished yet. Game Center, including the app's main screen, doesn't fit in AT ALL with the rest of the OS. It's glossy bubbles are highly contrasted to the flat, white textures found in iOS 7.

Apple will most likely change a few icons during beta.

17. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

• Game Centre, because the 3D look is soooo flat, NOT.
    • Find My Friends, it still has bloody stitching! :eek:

18. Andy-V macrumors 6502

I like the overall new UI but many of the icons are literally jaw droppingly bad. The safari icon, the iTunes/App Store icons. And then... Newsstand. What on earth.

I really really hope they change those.

19. Motawa macrumors 6502