iOS 7 ideas

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by lowlypeace, Sep 20, 2012.

1. lowlypeace macrumors member

one of the main disadvantages of iOS is the lack of widgets and customisation.

when you look at it they do actually already kind of have a widget on screen, the calendar app updates to tell you the day and date.

Now wouldn't it be good and simple to do a similar thing with the weather app?
    instead of a dead sun and 23, simply integrate a 5 hourly or 1 hourly update relating to location info, and have it change - that would be really cool.

I would also like to see the ability to replace a 4 square of icons with a twitter feed app or new app, or a 3 along by 2 down icon group. This would be really cool and long over due.

And of course a small media control widget for the tune in radio app or music

At this point android allows all these features, and now allows running mini videos on top while doing other tasks, its just a shame android is not as responsive and laggy - iOS is a smoother and more responsive experience, but they really need to improve customisation with widgets

also the option to allow the home screen to rotate into landscape is needed and a reduction in icons size to allow 5 on the dock in portrait.

2. JesalTV Guest

There is an awful lot that Apple need to do for iOS 7.

But in fairness it seems to go that when they do a major hardware update for the iPhone (3G, 4), the following year they do more to the iOS (3GS, 4S).

3. WDSnav91 macrumors member

I have just a few ideas:
    1. Automatically update my apps so I don't have to. I mean SERIOUSLY! android has had this feature for several years. Catch up Apple!
    2. Only download app data that has changed to save bandwidth aka delta updates like you get for iOS already.
    3. Have more home-screens to use for app people like me that like to have LOTS of apps.
    4. Get rid of the search page on the home menu and put it somewhere else. I mean who really uses it? It is much faster to swipe to get to my apps rather than type out the app name. The search page is useless and just clutter.
    5. Allow us to put folders within folders.
    6. Allow us to see and close running background processes like you can on android. I know we have the multi-tasking tray but that doesn't get rid of everything even though you have closed all the apps; they can still run on the system.
    7. Limit active processes and maybe even delay them to prevent apps from crashing due to so many processes running then you have to restart the device.

4. lowlypeace, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

lowlypeace thread starter macrumors member

I just had another 2 great ideas which would carry over iPad style usage

swipe one thumb or finger up to access all running apps - swipe down from middle or anywhere on screen to bring down notifications, rather than just the very top

and why not just have say 5 or 7 screens of apps and then once you scroll past that go into most recent application which would be paused like in the iPad, then to get back to home screen just swipe to the left - or they could do two finger pinch. Then you could swipe right or left between apps like in the iPad
    although lots of apps now utilise the swipe in-app - you could reduce the in-app swipe command to the middle portion, say 60% - meaning a full screen swipe from edge to edge would initiate app switching

another idea would be double tap anywhere on screen to go to most recent app

5. lukin2006 macrumors newbie

Allow us to make calls from bluetooth earpiece when phone is locked.

6. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

This is happening in iOS 6

7. nickn macrumors 6502

Only for the OS itself, not individual apps.

8. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

-Better Maps (better POI/3D data)
    -Control more of phone with Siri, allow access to API (toggle bluetooth, wifi, "call dad on speaker", "skype dad")
    -UI refinements. I'd like to see a flatter UI. The sort of glossy, 3D gradient bar at the top is getting a bit tired. Also on the lock screen. I hate the lock screen now. I used to love it.
    -auto closing apps that are not running (i am so OCD about this)
    -better way to switch between apps that are running, preferably with screenshot (i really liked how webOS looked when doing this)
    -Do not disturb based on location/attached to certain events in calendar
    -bluetooth and WIFI toggle on first screen of settings page (like airplane mode and DND)
    -combined search bar and address bar in safari
    -images of contacts in phone/messages/email app

9. chisasba macrumors member

Quick reply for texting. I can't understand why people fancy unlocking their phone and opening an app just to close it and lock it again a few seconds later.

And let me remove apps I find useless like stocks, newsstand, etc..

10. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Two big things that are starting to stand out for me are Set Default App....

Chrome.
    Google Maps (When they release it)
    YouTube App

And

Better Multitasking. We say it every year but c'mon. Apple's Expose would be perfect certainly on the iPad but just a simple view like Android for the iPhone would be fine! - Let me swipe apps away to quit the app!

11. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

iPhone. 3GS is likey not going too get ios 7 iPhone 4 may have a small ch of getting ios 7

12. JoeyCloverfield, Sep 20, 2012

JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Assign Default Apps (Web Browser, Mail Application, Music Player, Weather App)
    Hide built-in apps (or at least an option to hide Newstand/Passbook unless I have an application that actually utilizes them.)
    Notification-Center-based-reply: If I get a message, when I drop down Notification Center I want to be able to reply from there. Meaning I don't have to open the Messages app or leave my current application. (Allow 3rd party apps to do this as well.)
    Sync individual notifications
    Clear individual notifications
    New iPad Notification Center UI: It looks awkward to me. It should adopt OS X Mountain Lion's design where it comes in from the side and looks as if it's in back of the content.
    Better Multitasking UI: I'm okay with the suspended-state-multitasking used in iOS, but I want a better UI. I'll even settle for a "Close All" button.
    "Top Sites" in Safari
    Improved iCloud Back-up: Currently iCloud is used to back-up all data. I would like the ability to back-up data on a per-app basis. For example: If I delete Temple Run from my phone and decide to install it a month later, I want the ability to choose to retrieve the data I backed-up. (This is will be an OS feature and not one developers would have to integrate into their apps like they have to now.)
    Safari Gestures: Swipe with 3 fingers to go to the next tab or to go back. Something along those lines.
    Improved App Discovery: I know they have "Genius" but it doesn't seem like enough. Perhaps allow time-filters on the Top Charts. For Example: Top of the Week (as in the top apps that were released this week)

PS. The features are in the order I thought of them. :)

13. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My thoughts from a prior thread:

Ultimately, I believe the future lies in automation. Siri and Google Now are steps in the right direction, but it needs to go further and be smarter. If the phone/OS can learn my habits, understand my needs in various situations, and present useful tools or information...killer. This is not simply an application, but a system-wide aggregator of features and functions to help make my life easier.

For example, my morning routine looks like this:
    1. Wake up at 5:30 AM
    2. Check my social networks for new content since I went to bed the night before
    3. Throw on some clothes
    4. Take the dogs for a walk
    5. Jump on the treadmill for my workout
    6. Shower/shave
    7. Eat breakfast, watch ESPN
    8. Walk to my office for work

I want my device to do this:
    1. Based on usage, location, and time-based events, learn what I do on a regular basis
    2. Turn on my alarm on weekdays for 5:30 unless I say otherwise
    3. Set Do Not Disturb to shut off at 5:30 based on said schedule
    4. Integrate with the NEST app to start cooling/warming the house based on my alarm schedule
    5. Upon turning off the alarm, present me with some highlights from social networks, RSS, news, and the weather. "Good morning, Brian. Here's what's going on today."
    6. Arm my house alarm when I step out to walk the dogs
    7. Upon arriving home from the dog walk, display playlist options and goals from my nutrition/exercise tracking app in preparation for my workout and breakfast
    8. 5-10 minutes before work, remind me of my calendar events and task list for the day
    9. Set the sound/vibrate/notification profile based on location/time for work

I could go on throughout the day, but you get the idea. Everything above is something that can happen today in various apps and internet services. It just needs to be tied together and presented appropriately.

14. chizzer2003 macrumors member

15. 2IS macrumors 68030

I use it ALL the time. It's not just for finding apps

16. MacPro23, Sep 20, 2012

MacPro23 macrumors member

I would like to see:

• The ability to set default apps
    • Expanded AirPrint support for all network printers
    • The ability to download files from Safari
    • Safari Extensions
    • Full Screen Safari on iPad
    • Live-Updating App Icons
    • Unified Safari Search/URL Bar
    • Google Search defaulting to encrypted search (https)
    • Be able to stream iTunes movies/TV shows over 3G/4G
    • Public Transit/Walking directions in Apple Maps
    • Improved Siri
    • Re-downloading of iTunes-purchased Ringtones
    • All iPhone stock apps on iPad and redesigned
    • iDisk for iCloud
    • Ability to hide stock apps
    • Improved JavaScript engine for third party apps/browsers
    • Allow alternate browsers to use their own engine
    • No restrictions for 3G/4G use
    • Close all apps on multitasking bar
    • Apple YouTube-competitor
    • Automatic App Updates
    • Better Multitasking

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would love to see multiple accounts, especially for iPad. I'm sure plenty of households by a iPad with a couple of people who have iTunes accounts. Allow user switching like on Mac so each person can use his/her own info.

Allow me to record my dang calls, too!

18. Anotoneher macrumors member

Here's an idea... how about we finally take the 73 degrees off the Weather icon so I can stop being teased when it's actually 110 outside :D

19. ddkilzer macrumors newbie

Safari is able to download files, but you must have an app installed to handle the type of file downloaded. DropBox, GoodReader and other general file utility apps will accept most types of downloaded files.

Safari in iOS 6 should be using secure Google search URLs now when you use the search field.

20. Tar Sniffer, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

Less Pre-Installed Apps: I feel that iOS has to many pre-installed apps at the moment. First off, I would get rid of the Compass app and let it live or die on the App Store. Second, I would do away with the Weather and Stock apps by fully integrating them into Notification Centre. I imagine they would look mostly the same as they are now in NC, but when you tap the weather or stock box it would expand and display graphs or the weekly forecasts for other cities.

Improved Weather: I've heard a lot of people complain about how inaccurate Yahoo Weather is, and have seen it off as much as 10 Celsius on numerous occasions. I would therefore love it if Apple actually use the forecasts given by each nations Bureau of Meteorology.

Remove Newsstand: Like so many others I hate that Newsstand folder. Therefore I hope they merge it with iBooks or at least keep it hidden until a newsstand related app is installed.

A Native Dictionary App: This one is self explanatory. A translation feature would also be nice.

Update the blue pop-up boxes: I personally find the blue pop-up boxes to be extremely tacky. A lack transparent black box would look much nicer.

Battery Alert Banner: This is long over due. The current pop-up is very annoying, particularly when playing a game.

UI fixes: iOS 6 introduced some pretty bad design choices. I would like to see the elegant white status bar be returned as the new grey, blue and black colours are just depressing and inconsistent. Also bring back the old Music App colour scheme and return the Phone keypad or create something more sexy since the new one is TACKY.

Social Network Hide Option: I'm not opposed to Social Networks being integrated in iOS, but for those of us that don't use them their presence are just clutter in certain menus, such as when I'm trying to share photos. A simple option in the Settings to hide their appearance would be very helpful.

OS X Additions: Introduce the new Mountain Lion dock and uni-bar in Safari.

21. Cobster macrumors member

Apple should try something new...try to check the "wants" from all the users... i'm sure there are a lot of good ideas flowting around...

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Themes and the ability to place icons where ever I want. And now, we have to say bring back Google maps (hopefully, it will be in the app store by then).