iOS 7 iPhone 5 back up restore fail!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gstarrd, Jul 1, 2013.

1. gstarrd, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

gstarrd macrumors newbie

hey guys, wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem im having, im usualy pretty good at solving this stuff but cant seem to find any solutions to this one

ive been running ios 7 since i became possible to download as a ipsw, ive been running it on my 5 and 4s, and my girlfriends 5
    now apart from the usual glitching i have been enjoying it, it isint the best on the 4s but since beta 2 has been running alot more smoothly,
    i havent had any problems but a couple of days ago her touch screen refused to respond to any touch, she couldnt access the phone at all, tried everything but nothing worked so i done a restore to ios 7 beta 1 and it was fine, and yes a restore it didnt ask me to activate ? so anyway i proceeded to update to beta 2 and the phone worked untill last night where she wasnt able to access the app store, unable to access app store,

i had a similar problem last year and i put the date forward a few months opened the app store put the date back and it started working again so done it with the 5 as soon as i put the date forward phone crashed restarted and i was hit with the activation screen so i put it in dfu restored to 6.1.4 and back to ios 7 no probz apart from when i tryed a backup restore it would countdown from around 11 mins and when is gets to the last second it shows a message, itunes could not restore the iphone " steph's iphone " because a error occurred

it dosent show any error code, ive tried it about 30 times now no luck tried updating to beta 2 no luck, tried on the 6.1.4 but get hit with the software to old, i tried restoring the ios7 but get hit with the activation screen before i can get to the back up screen, tried bypassing the activation screen but it dosent bypass on the itunes screen so i hate to say it but im stuck !.

so i was thinking maybe the restore files empty or there a problem with it so downloaded the free version off dr.fone and opened the itunes back up restore file and i can view everything as it was before we had these issues, everything is there nothing seems corrupt but it just wont restore back to the phone, as you can imagine she is pretty pissed its about 3-4 years of photos on the phone,i dont even have a option for a older back up.
    any help welcome thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't get through this large paragraph, but from what I can tell, you "found" the ipsw file for iOS 7 BETA and it became buggy so you did a backup and restore but the restore process didn't work.

My advice, if I am reading this correctly, is to restore the iPhone 4S to 6.1.3 and the 5 to 6.1.4. Reinstall iOS 7 BETA at your own risk but remember, it would be best if you registered your UDID through the developer portal. Not sure if that is the cause of your issues, but make sure you're registered. You should not have to **** with something so much that you need to set dates forward and backward nor install 30 (really?) times without luck.

Final thought, if you installed a BETA version of software you got off the internet (not from a developer or from the portal itself as a developer) then you did this at your own risk and you were foolish not to back up 3-4 years of photos. Who the heck has 3-4 years of photos on an iPhone that they never backed up.

3. gstarrd thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, yeah sorry about the story, i installed the software to 3 of my phones, 2 iphone 5 and a 4s, long story short, on 1 iphone 5 it caused a few problems, restored the software but when i tried to restore the back up data i wouldnt restore, it says everytime a error occured. i can access the back up data using the dr.fone software on my laptop and everything is there as it should be but when i tryed to restore it to the phone i just get the itunes could not restore the iphone because a error occured. and i cant get any of my data onto the phone. the other 2 phones are working fine no problems at all it just seems to be this one i am having a issue with

4. BlankStar macrumors regular

Wall of text crits you.
    You die.

There is this thing called "return" or "enter" on the keyboard. It starts a new line. Works awesome for creating a thing called "paragraphs" and makes a text easier to read...

I didn't take the time to read your tsunami of words, but I can give you this advice:
    • always use "update" instead of "restore" when possible.
    • When trying to update from beta 1 to beta 2: reset all settings on the iPhone in the settings.app

5. gstarrd thread starter macrumors newbie

i have done what u stated all ready but no luck.

there dosent seem to be a issue getting the software running my issue is trying to get the back up restore to work it gets to 100% and says itunes could not restore the iphone because a error occurred. there seems to be a issue putting my data back on the iphone from the back up

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Probably not the solution you want but if her content is that valuable that she can't live without it then maybe avoid using the phone until beta-3.
    If the restore won't work going backward then it should work going forward with the next beta.
    Or the backup is corrupt and you can try one of the 3rd party backup extractors to salvage what you can.

7. gstarrd thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think the issue is the actual back up, i have used one of the 3rd party extractors and i can view everything in the file and everything is there. usually itunes would state if the back up was corrupt ? or atleast give me a error code but nothing.

the software i was using to extract was just a demo version so i could only view the files, but if there is no other option i will just need to buy the full version to extract the data.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, I can't tell if OP is trying to restore an iOS 7 backup to iOS 6. If he is, that won't work.

If the device is on iOS 7, and the backup doesn't work, you have a corrupt backup. Sorry, it happens.

As another poster said, you should always copy your pictures to your computer instead of relying on your iOS backup.

That said, since you have a program that lets you look through your backup, doesn't it let you extract the pictures? If the one you have doesn't have that function, then find one that does. You may have to pay for it, but that's the price for not backing things up.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I told you what you needed to do but I don't think you're reading. If we can get through your first post then you can get through ours. ;)

With your iPhone 4S, you need to restore to iOS 6.1.3. You can then use whatever legitimate or illegitimate copy of iOS 7 you have, but you need to get the phone working. My advice is to get back to the most stable and publicly released OS for the phone.

For the iPhone 5 you will go back to 6.1.4. Again, reinstall iOS 7 at your own risk, but you need to get the phone functional first. You can continue to try to restore using your backup, but clearly this is a colossal waste of time.

10. zhandri macrumors 6502

so did you try to reinstall 6.1.4 from a backup or from an apple ipsw file? you need to get the old firmware on the phone. so i'd try reinstalling a clean 6.1.4 from the ipsw phone and then try to back up with your backup file

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-6.1.4-for-iphone-5-direct-links/

what's the problem with the activation? is it stuck because the UDID isn't registered for the beta?

11. gstarrd thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry the issue is the iphone 5, it is back to working order on 6.1.4.

the iphone 5 back up is ios7 software so it will not restore to the 6.1.4 because the software is to old

if i update to ios 7 again the phone is still fully functional but if i try to restore the back up i get the error.

everything is fine the only problem i have is trying to restore my data back onto the iphone 5

the program i was using to view the data inside the back up file is a demo so i can only view if i want to extract the files i have to buy which i will if cant get the back up to restore back onto the phone

zhandri : i have installed the original software back on the iphone through itunes 6.1.4, i cant restore the back up when i am on 6.1.4 because it is to old. the activation problem is solved it was because i was trying different things to get the restore to work

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So buy it already -- what are you waiting for?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It would be so easy if you read what people wrote.

Once you restore to the current public release of the OS for your iPhone what makes you think you can restore the backup you made from the beta release of iOS 7 to iOS 6.1.4? Your backup made on iOS 7 will not work in iOS 6.1.4.

As I have stated, your next step is to reinstall iOS 7 from 6.1.4. Your restore is ****ed. The risk you take when you play with beta versions of software. It sounds like you do not understand this or you simply choose not to read.

Don't play with beta versions you found online unless you understand the risks.

14. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Curious...

Did your girlfriend know the risks of iOS 7 Beta?

15. gstarrd thread starter macrumors newbie

I all ready knew that you could not restore to a older software before i wrote this forum. I did say that i gave it a try and got the firmware to old error.
    I posted this thread hoping there may be a solution that some one may know so i could restore the data back on to the iphone 5. Ios 7 obviously

But not everything can be fixed easily i thought i would just ask first before spending £50-60 which is better than spending the money and then finding out there was a way to do it.

Yeah she knew the risks but to be honest i didnt think this would happen. Ive had it on my 2 phones since it was available and ive had no problems. Few apps not working and the odd restart but thats it

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just for future reference, where you went wrong was

Betas have an expiration date, you probably put the date past the expiration date.

Also, saying you and your gf knew the risks but you didn't think this will happen is rather contradictory. It could run smoothly on a 100 iPhones and fail on the 101st one. That is what "risk" means.

17. BlankStar macrumors regular

A good advice;

Never ever ever ever ever ever install beta software on your wife/girlfriend her iDevice. They will rip out your hearth and eat it in front of you while you die if their beloved game doesn't work.

I got iOS7 on my iPhone, my wife has iOS6 and I just told her I couldn't install it on her 4S because it's a white one and they are not supported yet.

18. zhandri macrumors 6502

I got iOS7 on my iPhone, my wife has iOS6 and I just told her I couldn't install it on her 4S because it's a white one and they are not supported yet.[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D