iOS 7 is not ready for release. Not even close.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by darkgoob, Sep 16, 2013.

1. darkgoob macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs would have never let this out.

iOS 7 is so full of little problems and issues in the GM that it makes me sick to think what will happen at release day. Almost all the bugs I reported to Apple throughout the process did not get addressed. Everything from gestures not being recognized during animations, to apps not accepting touches for a second or more after switching apps, to UIPickerView being broken in the latest XCode, UISegmentedView ignoring tint selected in Interface Builder and drawing all messed up, poorly organized preferences for text display (all hidden away in Accessibility three layers deep), default preferences for Location Services and background activity killing batteries, auto-scrolling not working when you try to extend your text selection off the bottom of the screen, moving the insertion point does not place it where you tap (but places it at the end or beginning of a word), apps that were quit on purpose still reopen after restarting the device, background parallax motion looks terrible and only has one layer (and has a noticeable motion detection dead-zone after a period of stillness, causing the effect to be very inconsistent and jerky), new camera app interface is kludgy, you have to double-swipe down in many apps to get to the Notifications Center now (or double-swipe up to get to the Control Center) which is an annoying extra step, there's no way to have an alarm that requires passcode entry to shut off anymore, there's still no way to change brightness from minimum to maximum without using the touch-screen (but if you're in the sun you can't see it at all if the brightness is on minimum, making this a huge pain), white text of the lock screen clock is invisible against white parts of background image...

Over-all I like iOS 7 after using it for awhile but IT'S NOT READY FOR FREAKING RELEASE!! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't worry Apple is already testing 7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.1

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/15/ios-7-0-1-ios-7-0-2-and-ios-7-1-already-seeing-widespread-testing-inside-apple/

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

They're already working on the fixes. I agree, it's not ready for a release but they had a hardware product that has a specific launch date. Apple knew this would happen so they moved people off Mavericks on to mobile and it still wasn't enough to deliver a polished product. Growing pains ahead I guess.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

stopped reading after "Steve Jobs would have never let this out."

How soon you forget about all the crappy things Steve Jobs let happen.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Surely you aren't referencing Mobile Me or the Motorola Rokr. Or the iPod HiFi. The original Apple TV (I think I have one still booting). Or the hockey puck mouse. Steve Jobs was PERFECT.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I have been using it extensively for the last five days and have not had any problems. I did not use any of the previous beta builds so I am looking at it with fresh eyes.

7. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

This is why I won't be installing 7 this week. I want to know that a good number of existing bugs are sorted out before I delete 6, which has been very stable.

8. scottytwo macrumors member

Whether its a GM or not, it isn't actually released yet....

9. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

Here is what I think. GM this time around had to be a balance between release ready and production supply ready. Apple believes the 5C and 5S are going to be such big hits they need to have a supply available to support there world wide release. Due to this, the "bar" had to be lowered for GM quality. The gamble Apple is taking is that any issues with GM will be ironed out with 7.0.1, 7.0.2 or 7.1 close to release day. Personally, my fingers are crossed.

:)

10. pMad macrumors regular

What is wrong with the HiFi?
    I got mine at Target on clearance for $60.
    I use it daily and it sounds great.

11. atlchamp macrumors 6502a

the question is how soon do those new patches come out?? I agree with 7.0 not being ready, i experience a lot of bugs

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whenever Apple decides to release them. No particular set or expected time really.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

14. xtwentyseven macrumors member

Why do people still say this? I don't hear every complaint about Obama start with "George Washington would have never let people's cell phone records get shared..." It's out of context, you never knew Washington or Jobs personally, and neither was infallible. If you hate Apple or their newest product, voice your opinion, but what does it have to do with a man that died 2 years ago? Maybe he would have hated it. Maybe he put it on the company's roadmap. You don't know. It's ridiculous the number of times this is uttered by people who have no clue.

Incidentally, my apologies if you did know him, and he told you about his plans for Apple's future.

15. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

From Apple's own website:

"iOS7 - Ahead of its time. Yet almost here."

Says it all really :D

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

For $60, nothing. For $350, everything. I think maybe the Bose Bluetooth system is that expensive now! but it's a LOT smaller and may or may not sound better.

17. darkgoob thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, Jobs let a lot of crappy things out. Ahem. Let me rephrase:

On his best day Steve Jobs wouldn't have let this out. Anyway.

Sorry about my blustery post, as a stockholder, I guess i just want a bit more.. tightness in a major release. I guess most of my complaints were not deemed important enough to push back the release. Priorities.

Well, it's a solid OS update nonetheless. I just want to see it do well, and not get bogged down by the voraciously anti-Apple press as they pick it apart on 'technicalities' that will be addressed within a matter of weeks. Perhaps it's because I remember the Maps fiasco all to well.

People, Apple needs to go back on the offensive, advertising wise. I'm tired of all these milquetoast commercials of kids flopping on beds and hipsters gazing out across New York harbor and all this crud. I want Apple to take Android and Windows Phone to task by showing all the things iOS devices can do that the others can't... by highlighting the technical inferiority of those platforms for many applications... I feel like Apple is trying to take the high road right now but I would like to see them get after it again. I kinda miss the Mac vs. PC commercials.

----------

Oh... iOS 7 is very usable and stable, it's not that. It's a very solid product in most respects.

But I demand nothing short of perfection. I want it to be better in every way than iOS 6. It feels to me like they were afraid to make changes to the organization of where things are placed in the system so that people who know how to use iOS 6 will not be confused in trying to find things. And they won't have to retrain their tech support people as much.

However they really really should not have two completely different places in the System Preferences where the appearance of Text can be manipulated. Stuff like that.

If it's half baked or even 95% baked the Fandroids are going to rip it a new one and it will never live that down. Six months after Maps had been fixed up, the media was still referring to Maps as "much-maligned" and even "broken". I'm a die-hard Apple user since 1984 but I know enough of these Fandroids who have no lives and spend their existence commenting on blogs tearing apart anything Apple, because it's the only thing that brings meaning to their pathetic lives. And they will go after the slightest arguable flaws of iOS 7. It should therefore be flawless before release, and so well-polished that no one argue there is a single thing wrong with it without looking like a complete idiot.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm also not in charge of a multi-billion-dollar cell phone company that is cranking millions and millions of phones out, and updates out to hundreds of millions of users. So what do I know? LOL. I'm just a complainer right?

Everyone will love iOS 7 and there won't be a fiasco like there was with Maps. And no one will lose their VP position this time. Right guys? Just release it.

#orings #challenger #titanic #iceberg etc.

18. nonamelive macrumors member

nonamelive

The animation delay really pissed me off. There are also a couple of minor UI problems relating to iOS 6 apps running on iOS 7.

19. bandrews macrumors 6502a

How could you forget Ping?

20. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I haven't used the GM, but based on what I've read the past few days, it's being released probably a couple of weeks before it should've been.

7.1 will likely be what .0 should have been.

----------

Just a few weeks ago, there were probably zillions of complaints about the flaws in 6. :)

----------

Yeah, but they had a deadline to meet, and delivered a relatively polished version of 7 as a GM, all things considered.

You could always wait for .1. I hear iOS 6 works reasonably well.

21. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I think to say, "not even close" is an exaggeration, but the OP is correct in that this is definitely not a polished release.

Even before confirmation of 7.0.1 7.0.2 and 7.1 in the press, I and I'm sure many others, were of the opinion that we'll see quick patching upgrades post release on Wednesday.

Has there been an official announcement of a delay to the iPad version as I understand it's much worse than on iPhone / iPod?

22. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

As a lover of iOS 7 since the first beta, I have to agree.

I thought Beta 6 was stable and the GM hasn't caused many issues on my 4S, but after using it now for nearly a week, I have to say that there are still too many bugs to call this a GM.

Hopefully 7.0.1 will come out within a few weeks to correct the remaining issues.

23. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I really haven't noticed any issues using mine.

Also the reason the app won't respond to touch gestures for a second or two after you switch to it is because you're only shown an "image" for that period while the app actually loads.

24. CharlieBrown-DE macrumors member

Reading all these topics, I will do (for the second time since my iPhone 3G) a DFU clean install. Maybe this avoids some of the problems... :)

25. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

This contradicts your headline...you make it sound like "iOS 7 crashes, it's so buggy". Are you trying to get the negative bloggers going?

I will say, from what I've read about, and experienced, it's pretty solid on iPhone 5 clean installs, but, from what I've read, not as ready on iPads.

iOS 7 is a major change, it's not going to be perfect at .0, mr perfectionist. And every iOS is worked on in unison with the next iPhone (& iPads), so iOS 7 will likely be smoothest on iPhone 5s. BTW, you do realize some of the things you mention have to do with apps, not iOS? ...And some things work that way in iOS 6 also.

I recall major wifi issues with my iPad, ( I think it was iOS 5.0?), unable to maintain an Internet connection, not minor glitches, like the things you talk about. So quit picking on the new management!

I'm still guessing they will hold iOS 7 back for iPads until new iPads come out next month. I don't recall Apple specifically stating what devices iOS 7 would be available for on the 18th. They will likely get a newer build, probably iOS 7.0.1. (Apple.com Store tab, iPads still have iOS 6 screenshots).