General iOS 7 Jailbreak: What's going on?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Thepoobear, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Too much fragmented discussion about the truth. I thought this could have a thread dedicated to it, with links to sources and such, as well as thoughts from some of the veterans here.

Please tell us what you know and what's the worst that could happen? I've just jailbroken 2 iphone 5 on ios7.0.4. Went fine without any problem. I'm now considering restoring both but would like more information first.

Seems like we need to clear up what COULD be done to us in the event that evasi0n has gone to the dark side? No wild theories please, just good advice.

2. stage5 macrumors member

Well if you need advice, I'd say restore both back completely and have nothing to do with the jailbreak until everything has come to light.

It doesn't even properly work with Cydia and has caused a lot of boot looping for some.

3. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

jailbroke, had loop problems, restored my ipad and now staying away until we know whats going on

4. macornomac macrumors 6502

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

We need to see the official statement from the team to see whats really happened here.

Then move on from that point.

6. pat park macrumors 6502a

From what I've read on Twitter and reddit:
    There is a back door exploit that uploads your private user information to a Chinese server.

The Evasi0n team had made some deal with a Chinese company in regard to this JB. not sure what the deal was exactly, but it seems to have been done to serve Chinese users and was only being installed on Chinese versions of the JB.

Pod2g is supposedly shutting down the shady aspects of this JB, but it's not clear what or when he is doing it.

Saurik has posted his unhappiness with the whole mess on Twitter.

I JB'd this morning, but after reading all of these concerns, decided to restore my phone to its previous back up (I.e. Remove jailbreak) and see how everything plays out.

Besides, none of the JB tweaks were working anyways. The ones I normally use were not updated for iOS 7, so it all seems kind of pointless to Jailbreak right now anyways.

7. Thepoobear thread starter macrumors 6502

So how dangerous could it be to just leave the jailbreak as is and wait for their statement? I couldn't see them actually building a virus into this or a CC number stealing scheme of the sorts...Not with how public this is.

Seems that the OTHER App Store is just a Cydia style App Store for the Chinese. I don't see how it could effect the rest of us?

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

its the reason apple provides beta software to the developers prior to a public release.

imagine if apple just released ios7 to the masses, there would be no apps that worked with it. not stable, full of bugs.

thats what this jailbreak does, the lead guy, saurik, had no clue. if considered a veteran at all, i say wait till the dust settles before installing.

9. pat park macrumors 6502a

I guess the fear could be if this exploit has the ability to upload your personal data. That is one of the claims being thrown around (no confirmation). There is some chatter after looking at the binary data, some info is being uploaded to a Chinese server. That is what concerned me and not seeing anything refuting it, has led me to restore until a clear explanation is presented.

Plus, the whole pirated Chinese App Store thing kinda made me feel weird.

10. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well its safe to say, the evasion team probably changed the jb scene forever, and not in a good way.

11. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Dear Jailbreak Community,

We are deeply troubled by the rumors and speculation surrounding our iOS 7 jailbreak. We would like to present the whole story to you.

Most of the concern surrounds the inclusion of the Chinese App Store Taig. In the course of developing the iOS 7 jailbreak, we were approached by the company with an offer of partnership in offering Taig bundled with the jailbreak in China. Taig is a Chinese App Store written in Chinese. tailored and, we believe, well suited to meet the needs of users for the Chinese market. Users are not locked into Taig. Cydia can also be installed and Taig removed afterwards. It would be deeply hypocritical to remove choice from the user in the course of jailbreaking.

Taig has never asked us to disclose our exploits to them, let alone sell them. We were simply asked to bundle their third-party app store in China in a similar way we bundle and distribute Cydia around the world as an additional App Store, and in a similar way to how previous jailbreaks like blackra1n have bundled non-Cydia stores.

Of course, the safety and security of our users is a paramount concern, and due to the amount of close scrutiny by security professionals around the world, we offer one of the lower risk programs available for download on the Internet. We are saddened by the accusations that we would ever do such a thing, or sell weaponized exploits. If anyone ever attempted to include malware in a jailbreak, we are confident that the many security experts combing through jailbreak software would find it. The binaries are obfuscated for a similar reason to why we have in the past compiled in Cydia rather than including it as a separate file. We wish to secure the integrity of the jailbreak and discourage its use by third parties who may in fact wish to weaponize it. The obfuscation is of course not intended to deflect serious analysis by security professionals (who have quickly already fully analyzed and discussed the contents of the jailbreak), it is simply intended to prevent easy repackaging by other parties.

Preventing piracy is also extremely important to us. We are deeply sorry and embarrassed about the piracy that was seen today. All of us have spoken out vehemently against piracy in the past. We don’t believe it’s right for developers to not get paid for their work. In our agreement with Taig, we contractually bind them to not have piracy in their store. This was an extremely important precondition of working with them. In entering the agreement with them, we had hoped and continue to hope that our cooperation with Taig will improve the piracy situation in China. Many App Stores within China, including those run by large corporations, have many issues with pirated software. Promoting an app store that is required not to have piracy with our jailbreak, we believe, will help developers.

We are very upset that despite our agreement and review by their team, piracy was found in the store. It was not acceptable and they have been strenuously working to resolve the problem in good faith, and have removed all instances of it that we have brought to their attention. We are happy that it was not overlooked by the community. We’ve been so heads down working on the code that we didn’t see this. We are sorry. We will continue to monitor this issue and work to resolve it completely. Taig will be pulled from the jailbreak if it cannot be resolved.

Many of you have also wondered why this jailbreak was released without Cydia and MobileSubstrate being updated for iOS 7. After we received the offer from Taig, we informed Saurik, our friend, of our decision to accept the offer. SaurikIT had been in talks with Chinese companies regarding potential partnerships, made a counteroffer. We believe they share our views on how a relationship with companies in China currently utilizing jailbreaking might benefit everyone in the community. Unfortunately, the negotiations did not work out. A few days later, we received information that SaurikIT was working with another group to release a jailbreak ahead of us. We decided to release, knowing that Cydia, MobileSubstrate, and jailbreak tweaks would be updated after a few days, just as it always has in the course of jailbreaking.

Yes, we have benefitted financially from our work, just as many others in the jailbreak community have, including tweak developers, repo owners, etc. Any jailbreak from us will always be free to the users but we believe we have a right to be compensated in an ethical way, just as any other developer. However, the interests of the community will always be the most important thing to us. When releasing the jailbreak, we pledged all our donations to foundations supporting the interests of the community. We are deeply upset at how we have inadvertently distressed the community and we are focused on fixing it.

We love the jailbreak community and you motivate us to do this work. Having a choice and freeing your device is important.

We hope you understand and we thank you for all of your support.

evad3rs

12. fark macrumors regular

Public? You mean the largely unknown people who worked on this? Naive, much?

The developers, not just Saurik, were kept in the dark. Doesn't that cause you to ask why? This release has been like no other jb released in the past several years. Why?

Maybe the code isn't in the iOS jb code but the program you install on your desktop/laptop to install the jb code.

Wake up.

13. p0x macrumors member

A few users proved this untrue. You can track the IP address with the JB. Their are no weird outgoing connections unless you have the cracked App Store installed.

14. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

I'm just going to stay jailbroken and not freak out about this. Though I have no evidence, I really doubt that personal data is being uploaded to China.

Eventually the updates will come and all will be right in the jailbreak world.