iOS 7 made me use Apple's apps more again

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MBX, Jul 18, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

In iOS7 I think Apple's own apps are gaining the spotlight again. Better UI especially.

- Actually now I think Apple's maps are better than Google's. Smoother and in certain cases even better with it actually showing the field of direction you're looking at (in Google's it's just a dot).

- I again switched back to Safari from Chrome previously.

- Now I think Siri is actually really cool and clean and very useful. Replaced my usage of Google Now/ Voice.

- In iOS7 i switched back to official mail app (used mailbox app previously).

- As well as using the Weather app as my standard Weather app again.

- Even though iTunes Radio won't completely replace Spotify I tend to use Apple's iTunes radio more often now.

- The new Calculator app replaced my previous third party Calc app.

- Finally Calendar is much better now too and I switched back from a different Calendar/ tasking app.

In those regards I think Apple did a great job and the iOS7 is bringing back some love to their own apps.

2. MountainJew macrumors member

MountainJew

You know what? I think you have a point! I never used the weather app at all before iOS 7, and now I can't stop using it every day to check the temperature and forecast for the week. I just love seeing the beautiful interface design that they've introduced in that app. It's undoubtedly superb :)

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I had the exact opposite reaction -- I was using mostly stock apps before, but now I'm thinking I may have to go looking for alternatives to many of them. Notes is especially bad, with the illegible yellow font for UI text. I also liked the icons in the old Weather app better than the thin lines in the new one. Personal preference, I guess.

4. c0LdFire macrumors regular

The weather app in particular, while gorgeous, still pisses me off with its lack of a radar. Until then I have to use alternatives.

5. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I've started using Safari and Contacts instead of the third-party apps I was using. I really like how they both look and perform.

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Same with me, although I'm still using Mailbox.

I was thinking that it might just be the newness factor that's making me use the stock apps often, or if they're actually better than other third party equivalents. I don't even want to hide newstand and game center. :p

7. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I agree that the weather app could use radar, but I wouldn't say that it's pissing me off. Honestly, there are a lot of weather apps that display much less information by design than Apple's, so I think this is just down to personal preference.

I will say that it annoys me in Calendar that I can't see what appointments I have on a day in month view without switching to day view. I will often say "Is that appointment on Friday the 25th or the following Friday?" Finding out was very easy in iOS 6, less so in iOS 7.

8. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

You can see Events in month view in beta 3. It's a little dot under the date number.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not really that, a list of events--basically a month view with an agenda view below it (as was the case in the Calendar app in iOS 6 and before).

10. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Apple maps have always being superior, snappier and better

the problem is not the way they look or run the problem is information on them is dreadful.

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

People will mock you for saying that, but you're absolutely right. It's a back end problem with maps. The front end (the app itself) is fine. When they finally fix everything on the back end, it will be a good product.

12. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

they will mock me because they are blind isheeps I love apple as well but not everything must be accepted. sure apple maps might work fine for the US but for the rest of the world are simply a catastrophe.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I never thought radar would be such a big deal in my weather app until I started using Yahoo weather.... now I would love to see that option placed in the native weather app.

14. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

Most of those I can understand, as Apple revamped a lot of its apps with iOS 7, but what I can't understand is why you'd switch from Mailbox back to Mail.

Mail in iOS 7 is virtually identical to what it was in iOS 6. Aside from the visuals and the fact that you can swipe back instead of having to hit the back button, it's basically the same thing as Mail from iOS 6.

iOS 7 Mail doesn't even come close to the functionality that Mailbox offers.

15. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

True true, it has mostly to do because Mailbox app isn't properly working on iOS7 in my case and also the UI isn't updated yet. So maybe once that happens I may switch again as I like Mailbox' tasks.

But what also is better right now with standard Mail app is the lock screen integration + Siri as well.

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

You get to list view by hitting the search icon. But yes, a split view like Fantastical is much more useful.

I hope Fantastical updates their UI to be more iOS7 like.

17. ominx macrumors 6502

Search is faster and has been streamlined. Much more efficient IMO.

18. bgro macrumors 6502a

I actually like the reminders app better now after first hating it. Much easier to get to the list I want.

They completely f'd up Calendar IMO. If they choose to leave out the split view (month with dots and agenda) then this is a complete step backwards. I've switched to a third party app for the first time ever due to this.

Notes is pretty bad too..the app is virtually unchanged since ios1.

19. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I agree about the calendar app. It was a lot more useful with the split month view.

20. portishead macrumors 65816

You're only going to get mocked because of using a stupid term like blind isheeps. I doubt many care if you like Apple maps or not.

21. applemoon macrumors member

Apple's apps are surprisingly bad. I mean with all that money you think they would be on the cutting edge. :/

But no, their apps are mediocre at best.

22. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I'm surprised you switched Calculator apps, the one Apple includes is absolutely terrible. Even what Samsung included with the Galaxy S 2 was miles better.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Terrible how?

24. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

There's no tape, and it doesn't allow multiple operations in one line.

25. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

The thing is that not many people actually care about a radar. So I'm sure they avoid it in order to avoid increasing the complexity, and it can even confuse some users.