iOS 7 Map

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Badrottie, May 23, 2014.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I turned off LTE and I checked map with GPS. it still moving as I ride on the bus. How does it work? I thought it is cool. :apple:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What? You turned off LTE, I'm assuming you still have 3G? Any data connection will do..

Weird question.

3. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

What do you mean "Weird question.":apple:

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why would it be expected that GPS won't work without LTE?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I don't understand the point of the question? Why would turning off KtE matter? As long as you have any data connection it will work. 3G, edge, LTE, whatever.

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Plus it can probably work if you turn off data/wifi entirely, to a certain degree, if the local area is cached.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

Because we don't understand why you think that it shouldn't move.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

You are leaving too many variables unspecified.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Assuming you meant you turned data off as in no connection at all the route is preloaded. If you were to travel off the route (even just stopping for food or gas) and it tried to reroute it would fail.

Once the route is loaded it's relying on GPS so a internet data connection is not required.

10. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Okay many of you people think I am STUPID about LTE/4G/3G/2G and WIFI or whatever! Whenever I go out I ALWAYS turn off 4G/wifi (I only have 250MB data plan) I never use LTE on my AIR so it is completely OFF. I know that GPS requires to use 4G/LTE/WIFI! Now I am not completely sure how it works maybe my AIR connected to other wifi (because I know my Clearwire Spot is off) when I play around with iOS Map!
    If you think I am STILL STUPID! Then fine. :apple:

11. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Doesn't GPS work without Wifi or Mobile Data...

12. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Yup. I've got an old HTC Incredible that I keep to use for offline maps. No data, not even cell is on since it's not activated I keep it in airplane mode but with GPS on. I have an offline maps app that I have used to download my entire state, and surrounding states I go to should my main phone get messed up, or I'm in a no signal area. Works great!

As for the map under normal circumstances it will cache the area you're around or the route you have started so it will work for a bit offline no problem. It can always get your coordinates regardless of data/cell/anything, just GPS and a view of the sky.

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

No it doesn't

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

An assisted-GPS, which is in the iPhone, doesn't require a data connection. Data only helps pin point the inital location quicker, for the GPS.

Otherwise a GPS would be pointless, as you couldn't use it in areas without internet. You know, those areas where you'd like a GPS. :rolleyes:

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can use GPS while in Airplane mode, but it will just take longer to locate you. The GPS chip in the iPhone is an assisted GPS chip, therefore it will still work without internet connectivity, but it will be much faster when connected to WiFi/3G/4G/LTE.

Edit: My Bad T'hain beat me to it, didn't read all the way down.

16. corygreenwell macrumors member

I was so confused about this as well when I was traveling through Japan and noticed that Maps was tracking my location while I was in airplane mode and had no internet connectivity. I did intermittently connect so perhaps I cached the area long enough to function, though often it was tracking me miles away from the location of my last connection.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Shouldn't something like Airplane mode disable all radios/connectivity, including GPS?

18. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Look at all of the unnecessary bashing and yelling in this thread.

This forum used to be a great place to go to to talk apple products.

Now, it's unbearable.

Sad.

19. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I am sorry. I am little confused. iOS Map is not GPS or something? Like someone else said GPS does not require LTE/4G/3G/2G/wifi? :apple:

20. afsnyder macrumors 65816

GPS is global position system. All it is is your location. iOS Maps application uses your location from the GPS. The maps app can save maps if you've viewed them recently and you will still be able to navigate it with your phones GPS. If you turn off data and wifi, the GPS will still function but slower than if you had data on.

21. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I got it. Thank you afsnyder :apple:

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

GPS is passive (receive only).

23. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Airplane mode will turn it off but nothing to stop you then going back in to just turn GPS back on.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where/how would you turn it back on?

25. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Used to turn it back on...appears now that its all under Privacy and it appears to stay on even if Airplane mode is on.