iOS 7 Map

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I turned off LTE and I checked map with GPS. it still moving as I ride on the bus. How does it work? I thought it is cool. :apple:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would it be expected that GPS won't work without LTE?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Plus it can probably work if you turn off data/wifi entirely, to a certain degree, if the local area is cached.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I turned off LTE and I checked map with GPS. it still moving as I ride on the bus. How does it work? I thought it is cool. :apple:

Assuming you meant you turned data off as in no connection at all the route is preloaded. If you were to travel off the route (even just stopping for food or gas) and it tried to reroute it would fail.

Once the route is loaded it's relying on GPS so a internet data connection is not required.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Okay many of you people think I am STUPID about LTE/4G/3G/2G and WIFI or whatever! Whenever I go out I ALWAYS turn off 4G/wifi (I only have 250MB data plan) I never use LTE on my AIR so it is completely OFF. I know that GPS requires to use 4G/LTE/WIFI! Now I am not completely sure how it works maybe my AIR connected to other wifi (because I know my Clearwire Spot is off) when I play around with iOS Map!
If you think I am STILL STUPID! Then fine. :apple:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Doesn't GPS work without Wifi or Mobile Data...
Yup. I've got an old HTC Incredible that I keep to use for offline maps. No data, not even cell is on since it's not activated I keep it in airplane mode but with GPS on. I have an offline maps app that I have used to download my entire state, and surrounding states I go to should my main phone get messed up, or I'm in a no signal area. Works great!

As for the map under normal circumstances it will cache the area you're around or the route you have started so it will work for a bit offline no problem. It can always get your coordinates regardless of data/cell/anything, just GPS and a view of the sky.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Okay many of you people think I am STUPID about LTE/4G/3G/2G and WIFI or whatever! Whenever I go out I ALWAYS turn off 4G/wifi (I only have 250MB data plan) I never use LTE on my AIR so it is completely OFF. I know that GPS requires to use 4G/LTE/WIFI! Now I am not completely sure how it works maybe my AIR connected to other wifi (because I know my Clearwire Spot is off) when I play around with iOS Map!
If you think I am STILL STUPID! Then fine. :apple:
An assisted-GPS, which is in the iPhone, doesn't require a data connection. Data only helps pin point the inital location quicker, for the GPS.

Otherwise a GPS would be pointless, as you couldn't use it in areas without internet. You know, those areas where you'd like a GPS. :rolleyes:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I know that GPS requires to use 4G/LTE/WIFI!
You can use GPS while in Airplane mode, but it will just take longer to locate you. The GPS chip in the iPhone is an assisted GPS chip, therefore it will still work without internet connectivity, but it will be much faster when connected to WiFi/3G/4G/LTE.

Edit: My Bad T'hain beat me to it, didn't read all the way down.

corygreenwell

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I was so confused about this as well when I was traveling through Japan and noticed that Maps was tracking my location while I was in airplane mode and had no internet connectivity. I did intermittently connect so perhaps I cached the area long enough to function, though often it was tracking me miles away from the location of my last connection.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Shouldn't something like Airplane mode disable all radios/connectivity, including GPS?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Look at all of the unnecessary bashing and yelling in this thread.

This forum used to be a great place to go to to talk apple products.

Now, it's unbearable.

Sad.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am sorry. I am little confused. iOS Map is not GPS or something? Like someone else said GPS does not require LTE/4G/3G/2G/wifi? :apple:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I am sorry. I am little confused. iOS Map is not GPS or something? Like someone else said GPS does not require LTE/4G/3G/2G/wifi? :apple:
GPS is global position system. All it is is your location. iOS Maps application uses your location from the GPS. The maps app can save maps if you've viewed them recently and you will still be able to navigate it with your phones GPS. If you turn off data and wifi, the GPS will still function but slower than if you had data on.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
GPS is global position system. All it is is your location. iOS Maps application uses your location from the GPS. The maps app can save maps if you've viewed them recently and you will still be able to navigate it with your phones GPS. If you turn off data and wifi, the GPS will still function but slower than if you had data on.
I got it. Thank you afsnyder :apple: