ios 7 maps absolutely infuriating

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by oplix, Sep 18, 2013.

1. oplix, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

oplix Suspended

oplix

Thankfully apple maps is hidden away far enough where I won't ever accidentally use it but heres some REAL gripes.

Please no threats to kill me because of my complains. I know there's plenty of you here, yes you exist, I don't need you to come here with your self righteous rhetoric.

Ok first one is pretty obvious. A lot slower performance vs ios 6 on iphone 5. Chugging animations which make me feel like my phone is from 8 years ago.

Heres the one that actually made me make this thread because it is so ridiculous that Steve Jobs (I know don't mention the lord's name in vain) would cringe so hard his head might explode:

I used Maps to make a search. Ok great it came up with results. Ok now what? I don't want them there. Lets see..exhaust every single button in the entire app. Nope nothing. No easy way to clear the results. Not even a hard way. It's just not there.

(edit) This is a bug that surfaces under god knows what circumstances. When I opened maps it didn't have my last search in the field. It was blank and there was no way to clear it.

And here's the clear button's tag team partner. The automatic giant blue radius that shows my approximate location when I never asked it to locate me. Ya I pressed the locate button. Then I pressed it again..and some more. It won't go away.

It's so ingenious..because it's such a far departure of Apple's standards that it even makes iOS 6.0 apple maps look good.

2. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

You had me until you said this which automatically invalidates your complaint. If you want to be taken seriously don't say rubbish like that. Its getting tiresome now.

3. abc123 macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure if I completely understood your complaint with the search feature in iOS7. If I search for coffee it pops up with a bunch of coffee places near me but to get rid of the results all I need to do is hit the x in the corner of the search box. It seems pretty simple which is why I'm wondering if I misunderstood what your particular problem is.

The location beacon I don't think goes away. I don't personally have an issue with that but I can see how if you use the maps zoomed out a lot it would get in the way.

edit to add that I actually find the iOS7 maps to be a great update to the really cruddy iOS6 maps. I still haven't used them to actually navigate anywhere so I guess we will see soon enough.

4. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Ok the X is a bug. That's clear now. Your other point is it not bothering you? So you are telling me that a giant blue overlay over an area you might be interested in examining is working as intended? I don't understand.

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I have not noticed slowness, but faster on my iPhone 5. You may want to go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh ...Apple seems to be enabling these by default, but they could be bogging things down. It's also possible you have another app that is somehow using location services or bogging the processor down. At one point I had an app I wasn't using that turned location services on for iOS 7, even when it wasn't in use. One way to check this is to go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services and check to see what is using it (scroll to bottom for what the different color arrows mean).

To clear your search, just clear the text in the status bar by pressing the grey circle "x" on the right end of the text box.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want your location when using maps. I'm confused as to what you mean here. ...but, pressing the location button puts your location at center, simply moving the map around or resizing it will move that blue dot, change what you see...does this help? (iOS 6 had a similar blue radius, but, it was perhaps more subtle, the iOS 7 radius is translucent, though. ...I happen to like it better, and I use maps while driving a lot.)

6. abc123 macrumors 6502

Yes it doesn't bother me because I only use the maps zoomed very close to the streets at which point the overlay becomes transparent and doesn't really get in the way at all. That said, I do think the solid dot when zoomed out can get in the way and is a bit large. Zoom out far enough and it is the size of a city, most people already know which city they are in so perhaps isn't needed at certain zoom levels. In summary, for my use it doesn't bother me but I can see how it would be annoying to others, such as yourself :)

I also think you'd have a more open conversation with members here and probably have more people agree with your points if you were a little less hostile. Assuming that we were going to threaten to kill you and then insulting a dead man isn't necessarily the most polite way to ask a question or give an opinion.

7. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Uh ya. It's pretty much a given that it could be annoying to others. Like EVERYONE who actually has to experience this as an "upgrade".