Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
So I've come to terms with the majority of the changes in iOS 7 and have finally updated my iPhone from 6.1.3 to 7.1.2. (I was one of those folks who early adopted iOS 7, hated it, and downgraded while I still could. Been on iOS 6 until today.)

My biggest issue was the awkwardness of the music app. Small pebbles to some folks, but I use my phone like an iPod pretty heavily at work and the redesign was just very awkward to me. I won't go into a rant here, there's already plenty of posts about that. What I will ask is this:

After one year of 7 being the new iOS standard, is there really still no proper fix for managing the Artist Pictures in the music app?

I'm talking when you first open the app, you see a bloated list of all the artists in the phone with an oversized graphic image of the band/singer/random album cover to the left. I hated this feature when 7 was released last year, and can deal with it today if there was a way to at least manage the pictures selected myself.

Can I select what image represents each artist without jailbreaking my phone? I'm assuming not, as I've dug through the Settings and did a few basic Google searches for the answer with no success.

Some of the pictures Apple selects are so random or weird to me. For example:

I have a small album of John Williams' classic music from Star Wars on my phone. That's it. Yet, Apple has decided to represent this work from Williams with the cover of his score to.... Home Alone?! Do i really need to look at Macauley Culkin every time I want to locate John Williams? (attached a pic for reference)

I'm assuming there's been no advancements on this (small) issue, but I wish there was. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    496 KB · Views: 180

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
Dude, touch iPods/iPhones can't even add a currently playing song to an on-the-go playlist without editing a playlist and browsing to the song currently playing (iPod classic, no problem). :rolleyes:

Pretty sure Apple hasn't given much intelligent thought to the music app since 2006.

I wish I could go back to JB 6.1.2.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
They gave it enough thought in iOS 7 to essentially break it. And haven't seemed to address any of the issues a year later.

I'm not getting rid of my 4th gen Touch anytime soon.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
My preference would be no album art at all and thus more artists on a page and less scrolling.

I have a thousand preferences that won't get addressed for the app, I'm just trying to figure out how to work with what it is.

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Hi Robby,

I share a lot of your frustrations, couldn't find a suitable 3rd party alternative, and decide to develop my own.

Cesium has just been submitted to the App Store, and should be available in a couple weeks. You can check out @CesiumApp on Twitter for updates.

Cheers!
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.