Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I love the new iOS, but the bright colours and abundance of white makes text hard to read in certain places. Even worse, using an iDevice just got 100x harder to look at in the dark—a problem I already face before iOS 7. An automatic, time-based night mode that dims and/or darkens the overall UI would be greatly appreciated, I think.

Can any of you beta developers send Apple feedback about this?

Oohehe

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly.

Add to that iOS 6 and below are what coalesce with the black iPhone due to their darker natures while iOS 7 seems to be more fitting for the white iPhone with all it's razzledazzle.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm not a dev so I haven't played with iOS 7 yet, but based on the keynote at WWDC I agree. Seems like it would hurt the eyes at nighttime, plus I rather enjoy darker themes. Would be sick to see a black / slate theme.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I love the new iOS, but the bright colours and abundance of white makes text hard to read in certain places. Even worse, using an iDevice just got 100x harder to look at in the dark—a problem I already face before iOS 7. An automatic, time-based night mode that dims and/or darkens the overall UI would be greatly appreciated, I think.

I would love that as well. Wasn't there a guy who said he saw iOS 7 in action Pre WWDC and that it had a white theme but there was also one with a darker color set? I believe it was front page of this site. Anywho, hopefully in a future beta! And I will send the suggestion over Apples way ;-)

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I would love that as well. Wasn't there a guy who said he saw iOS 7 in action Pre WWDC and that it had a white theme but there was also one with a darker color set? I believe it was front page of this site. Anywho, hopefully in a future beta! And I will send the suggestion over Apples way ;-)
Yeah, I think I read that too. They have a night mode for navigation, so maybe the the darker theme would change based on the time.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
That would make sense and would give the phone even more "vitality". Having something like F.lux would also be useful because the screen is too bright and blue even at the lowest setting at night.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
100% agree with you all, probably because of all the white in ios 7.

here a solution, I configured triple click to invert colors from the accessibility menu, heres your dark theme!

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I agree and they could go a step beyond this. Why not use the ambient light sensor to detect low light and adjust the contrast and brightness of the UI and screen to make for comfortable viewing? A step up from auto brightness because it changes the actual UI.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

Why not something in between, like shaded gray that can be used all the day. Just like in iOS 6 and OSX.

One theme is better than two... Minimalism. I have to teach something to sir John Ive about balance between form-functionallity-beautyness.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
Under general, accessibility, you can make test bolder and invert the colors. That's the most I have seen it helped my old age eyes.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
If there was a night mode (Where iOS 7 backdrop turns from mainly white to black) it would resemble Windows Phone too much. (Dark theme, light theme).
But it would be a great addition imo.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Yes, a night mode would definitely be welcome, iOS 7 is good but it just feels so bright all the time. Having a night/dark mode would help with this.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I couldn't agree more. It looks very nice on the white iPhone which covers the Apple website, but on a black iPhone (which the majority are) it looks very out of place. I feel like the excessive white look is going to get ripped on when the update is officially released.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I agree wholeheartedly.

Add to that iOS 6 and below are what coalesce with the black iPhone due to their darker natures while iOS 7 seems to be more fitting for the white iPhone with all it's razzledazzle.

Agreed

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I couldn't agree more. It looks very nice on the white iPhone which covers the Apple website, but on a black iPhone (which the majority are) it looks very out of place. I feel like the excessive white look is going to get ripped on when the update is officially released.

I recall reading something about the darker theme mentioned somewhere above too. It's possible that they might give the black iPhone a different color scheme (kind of like the iPod nanos with their different colored backgrounds).

But I do think that a night mode would be a great idea.

appleguru98

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Atlanta, GA
It would be amazing to have a night version. I have dark backgrounds in the first place because I don't like bright things on electronics. I have the iOS 7 beta, and some of the menus still blind me at night when my brightness is down at the lowest setting.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
100% agree with you all, probably because of all the white in ios 7.

here a solution, I configured triple click to invert colors from the accessibility menu, heres your dark theme!

I know on the current iOS I use this as a cheap night mode in apps that have a bright background (iBooks, Maps, etc)

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

Looks good on a black phone to me.

2013-06-10-19_22_02-Apple-iOS-7-Features.jpg

Gl8Mvk5.jpg

dwYthjr.jpg

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
Looks good on a black phone to me.

I don't mind it on my black 5, but that control centre, damn is that hideous IMO. The white frosted glass just doesn't work for me.

Edit:
ikdT0KP.png

dYL9pFG.png

I don't understand this massive contrast in styles.

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Haha awesome how the community spotted this back in June, yet Apple still released this in September. The colour scheme is very pretty and I do like iOS 7 but it is too bright even during normal daylight. When I look at my phone in the dark it feels like I'm looking at the sun through night vision binoculars. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.