iPad iOS 7 on ipad 4 & iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by prism, Sep 21, 2013.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

I installed the new OS on both my ipad 4 and the iPhone 5. Didn't do a clean install. The performance difference is night and day. On the iPhone 5 it is smooth as silk, totally fluid. On the ipad 4, it is jittery and feels like a beta release. I feel that if I did not have the iphone 5 to compare with, I probably wouldn't have noticed the relative "slowness" on the ipad 4.
    I originally bought the ipad 3 when it came out but was lucky enough to sell it at almost cost when the ipad 4 was announced. I hope that when the ipad 5 is released that the 4 doesn't suddenly become the new stepchild because Apple decided to skip optimizing the iOS for it.

2. AWflorida macrumors newbie

AWflorida

I did not do a clean install on either of my devices and was disappointed with the performance of IOS 7. I think I will do a clean install and see if that helps. Thanks for the post!

3. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I don't think Apple can afford to do that. If they do, they stand risking a lot of the goodwill that they have gained thus far. Speaking for myself, if I find that Apple does do what you fear, they I would probably swear off Apple products because this kind of decision-making would rock my confidence in Apple's ability to support recent products. Having said that, I think the more likely scenario is that Apple will release an update (probably timed with the release of the iPad 5) that will optimize iOS7 for the iPad. They may even do that before the iPad 5 releases to be able to focus on the new gen.

4. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope you are right, but I also fear that Apple does not care much about alienating a small subset of their customers. They did it with the iPad 3, they could repeat it with the 4.

5. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Ummm...yeah....true. Reminds me of the **** Microsoft did with their Win Phone 7 customers. But if you think about it, the move from iPad 3 to 4 was not as different as that from 4-5 - both in terms of hardware and, more importantly, in terms of hardware.