Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I tried iPhone 4 with iOS6 and iOS7 to test and websites load roughly the same amount of time. A few seconds later, no issue, if it took mins extra, then that's a problem.

Boot time is not an issue, it's loading more data, so of course it will take longer. Once it's loaded it's great to use.

Perception is the biggest problem, you use an i5 and i4, of course the i4 will feel poor in comparison because it's what you are used to. It's not that bad at all. I think if it's that bad, just sell it, buy a 4S from ebay.

No, your expecting the world from a 4 year old phone. Basically iOS has been updated, it's a touch slower than before. Big deal! I am happy they just updated it.

Please read my post in its entirety. My father doesn't own an i5, he owns an i4 and has never used an i5. He immediately thought his phone sucked the moment iOS7 installed, and 7.1.1 hasn't made a massive difference. It is more than a touch slower, it's frustratingly so and a chore to use. As for the website loading times, I was talking specifically about data-intensive sites such as a newspaper website. Just doing a quick google isn't mind-wrenchingly slower, but loading up a big newspaper website (which my father does several times a day) takes at least three times as long compared to the i5 running iOS7.1.1
It must be said that I feel the same site would have loaded up faster when my i5 ran iOS6, but I digress.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Please read my post in its entirety. My father doesn't own an i5, he owns an i4 and has never used an i5. He immediately thought his phone sucked the moment iOS7 installed, and 7.1.1 hasn't made a massive difference. It is more than a touch slower, it's frustratingly so and a chore to use. As for the website loading times, I was talking specifically about data-intensive sites such as a newspaper website. Just doing a quick google isn't mind-wrenchingly slower, but loading up a big newspaper website (which my father does several times a day) takes at least three times as long compared to the i5 running iOS7.1.1
It must be said that I feel the same site would have loaded up faster when my i5 ran iOS6, but I digress.

Can you run a Speedtest on your phone and your dad's?

My wife's iPhone 5 has speeds around 35-45 Mbps on Wifi.
My iPhone 4 reads 7-17Mbps
my iPad2 is 30-40Mbps
Macbook Pro 90-100Mbps
and iMac with direct connection is around 110-120Mbps

So, along with it being slow when not connecting to the internet, add in that and it is slower yet!!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Can you run a Speedtest on your phone and your dad's?

My wife's iPhone 5 has speeds around 35-45 Mbps on Wifi.
My iPhone 4 reads 7-17Mbps
my iPad2 is 30-40Mbps
Macbook Pro 90-100Mbps
and iMac with direct connection is around 110-120Mbps

So, along with it being slow when not connecting to the internet, add in that and it is slower yet!!

I mentioned this in my posts also. Both of us were connected to the same router, and the download speed was 30Mbps. Whatever the failings of the WiFi connection, the i4 was at least three times slower.

Nobody will ever convince me that this is a random issue, or that there is some hardware issue. The i4 is a frustrating device when running iOS7, when it was perfectly fine on 6.1.4

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I mentioned this in my posts also. Both of us were connected to the same router, and the download speed was 30Mbps. Whatever the failings of the WiFi connection, the i4 was at least three times slower.

Nobody will ever convince me that this is a random issue, or that there is some hardware issue. The i4 is a frustrating device when running iOS7, when it was perfectly fine on 6.1.4

No. I was just trying to say that the online/WiFi connection might also be hindered. I wasn't sure if you speed tested the WiFi.

all of my tests were done one after another within 10 minutes to get an average for each using the same router and incoming (minimum) 105Mbps speed but each device seemed to only pick up an average (as noted in my post) and that the iPhone 4 always downloaded the slower speeds.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No. I was just trying to say that the online/WiFi connection might also be hindered. I wasn't sure if you speed tested the WiFi.

all of my tests were done one after another within 10 minutes to get an average for each using the same router and incoming (minimum) 105Mbps speed but each device seemed to only pick up an average (as noted in my post) and that the iPhone 4 always downloaded the slower speeds.
So you are saying iPhone 4 always did this exact thing (even with iOS 6 or 5), or that you are seeing this now with iOS 7 on iPhone 4?

----------

Iphone 4 users, set up the ios as new, disable the animations, keep only three rows of apps on any page and also folders to be more organizedand your 4 will somehow be a bit better. And about the keyboard, when it pops up on my retina mini it lags so it's not a hardware problem it's a software problem. On iphone 4 also disable everything you don't need, but I mean EVERYTHING and somehow disabling transparency makes the iphone laggy, no button shapes, and no "on/off" labels on those little green switches in the settings app.
So what will all/any of this do ultimately?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
So you are saying iPhone 4 always did this exact thing (even with iOS 6 or 5), or that you are seeing this now with iOS 7 on iPhone 4?

----------

So what will all/any of this do ultimately?

I wish I knew if it always happened or is new with iOS7.
Also, as another kicker for me is I just recently switched Internet providers and, as such, I have a new modem too which could be another source of WiFi signal conflict.

What I am saying is perhaps the signal to the iPhone 4 (be it a new thing or an always thing) could be slower than the iPhone 5. *as is currently the case with my phone and my wife's. Again, unsure if this is new or if this is caused by iOS7 on certain models OR just our new Modem/Router.

But something to test. to see if part of the slow-down is WiFi related.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

I did read your post. You have an i5, your father has an i4. For you to comment I have to assume you have used both phones, again, perception will play a part as you are used to the i5, so the i4 will automatically seem much much slower.

The only way to check would be to run a speed test on both phones. Although you have a fast connection, the phones will download at different speeds (due to the chips they use). I would be very surprised if both have exactly the same download speed (the iPhone 5S has newer, more efficient wireless chips).

The only way to verify news websites loading slow is to use an iPhone 4 with iOS6 and one with iOS7 on the same connection loading the same website. Or paste the website, may someone can test it here.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I did read your post. You have an i5, your father has an i4. For you to comment I have to assume you have used both phones, again, perception will play a part as you are used to the i5, so the i4 will automatically seem much much slower.

The only way to check would be to run a speed test on both phones. Although you have a fast connection, the phones will download at different speeds (due to the chips they use). I would be very surprised if both have exactly the same download speed (the iPhone 5S has newer, more efficient wireless chips).

The only way to verify news websites loading slow is to use an iPhone 4 with iOS6 and one with iOS7 on the same connection loading the same website. Or paste the website, may someone can test it here.

We don't need stats to prove that the i4 runs significantly worse with iOS7 than it did with iOS6. My dad has never used my i5, I dare not let him because he will think even less of his phone than he does now. He noticed how poorly the iPhone 4 ran as soon as he installed iOS7. His viewpoint is based solely on his experience of using the same phone with both iOS6 and iOS7.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
We don't need stats to prove that the i4 runs significantly worse with iOS7 than it did with iOS6. My dad has never used my i5, I dare not let him because he will think even less of his phone than he does now. He noticed how poorly the iPhone 4 ran as soon as he installed iOS7. His viewpoint is based solely on his experience of using the same phone with both iOS6 and iOS7.

Well, yeah we do. We need proof/evidence to confirm this. If it's as slow, painfully awful to use, do some testing and report it to Apple.

Websites used
Speed test (run 3 times and get an average)
iPhone model and os

Just saying the iPhone feels slow compared to before. Doesn't really prove anything. You need to back it up with some proof.

Mine feels about the same as before, a tad slower now and then, but not as bad as everyone makes out.

Perception plays a key. I bet if there was no problem and someone started a thread saying safari is so slow now (even though it wasn't for example) people would be convinced it was slow. I guarantee.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well, yeah we do. We need proof/evidence to confirm this. If it's as slow, painfully awful to use, do some testing and report it to Apple.

Websites used
iPhone model and os

Just saying the iPhone feels slow compared to before. Doesn't really prove anything. You need to back it up with some proof.

Mine feels about the same as before, a tad slower now and then, but not as bad as everyone makes out.

Perception plays a key. I bet if there was no problem and someone started a thread saying safari is so slow now (even though it wasn't for example) people would be convinced it was slow. I guarantee.

It's nothing to do with perception. As soon as 7.0 was installed, the phone became dreadful to use. It remained dreadful to use right up until 7.1, which then *slightly* improved matters. It is still an absolute dog though compared to how it ran with iOS6. Lots of people agree, some don't. That's a subjective thing regarding how much people are prepared to put up with, and how much 'running the latest o/s' and getting control centre sweetens the deal for them. Speed and frustration-less usability is the no.1 requirement for me, and certainly for my father. Where the iPhone 4 is concerned, in my experience iOS7 doesn't deliver. Sending info to Apple at this stage in the game is pointless. They have already long since forgotten about the iPhone 5, let alone the i4.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Websites used
iPhone model and os

That's how it feels to you, but that doesn't mean that's how it feels to others. If they believe it's worse for them then what do you know it's actually worse for them, and it doesn't mean anything that it's not worse for someone else. It really is that simple.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It's nothing to do with perception. As soon as 7.0 was installed, the phone became dreadful to use. It remained dreadful to use right up until 7.1, which then *slightly* improved matters. It is still an absolute dog though compared to how it ran with iOS6. Lots of people agree, some don't. That's a subjective thing regarding how much people are prepared to put up with, and how much 'running the latest o/s' and getting control centre sweetens the deal for them. Speed and frustration-less usability is the no.1 requirement for me, and certainly for my father. Where the iPhone 4 is concerned, in my experience iOS7 doesn't deliver. Sending info to Apple at this stage in the game is pointless. They have already long since forgotten about the iPhone 5, let alone the i4.

You clearly won't be happy so I would advise selling the iPhone 4 on eBay - Buy iPhone 4S - Problem solved!

----------

That's how it feels to you, but that doesn't mean that's how it feels to others. If they believe it's worse for them then what do you know it's actually worse for them, and it doesn't mean anything that it's not worse for someone else. It really is that simple.

Lots of fuss over nothing. Trust me, I would be the first to kick up a fuss if my phone took 3 mins to load a webpage but it doesn't. It pretty much the same as before with iOS6.

Honestly, a load of fuss over nothing.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You clearly won't be happy so I would advise selling the iPhone 4 on eBay - Buy iPhone 4S - Problem solved!

----------

Lots of fuss over nothing. Trust me, I would be the first to kick up a fuss if my phone took 3 mins to load a webpage but it doesn't. It pretty much the same as before with iOS6.

Er, ok. So the solution to Apple ruining a perfectly good phone with one of their software updates is to buy a new one? That's a perfectly acceptable situation is it?
FYI, the operation of the phone is in NO WAY comparable to how it performed with iOS6. You're deluding yourself.
Anyway, there is no point bleating on. It is what it is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

To you lots of fuss over nothing, to someone else it's not nothing. Just because you have your opinion about it doesn't mean it's like that or should be like that for everyone. How is it that people don't see that or just ignore that. It's beyond common sense (as in simpler).

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Er, ok. So the solution to Apple ruining a perfectly good phone with one of their software updates is to buy a new one? That's a perfectly acceptable situation is it?
FYI, the operation of the phone is in NO WAY comparable to how it performed with iOS6. You're deluding yourself.
Anyway, there is no point bleating on. It is what it is.

They haven't ruined it. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS7. Works fine to me, as it does for other people.

If you have issues or it doesn't meet your expectations, get some proof, back up your argument and let Apple know about it. Complaining on here is not going to fix anything.

Options:

1. Gather some evidence it has real issues with iOS7 and report them to Apple (testing against iOS6 on an iPhone 4 with exactly the same setup). To confirm there is an actually problem.
2. Wait till Apple provide another firmware update
3. Still not happy? Sell the phone and buy another one (iPhone 4S for example) which runs iOS7 much better

----------

To you lots of fuss over nothing, to someone else it's not nothing. Just because you have your opinion about it doesn't mean it's like that or should be like that for everyone. How is it that people don't see that or just ignore that. It's beyond common sense (as in simpler).

That's correct!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
They haven't ruined it. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS7. Works fine to me, as it does for other people.

3. Still not happy? Sell the phone and buy another one (iPhone 4S for example) which runs iOS7 much better

So on the one hand you're saying that iOS7 works perfectly well, and on the other you're saying that my father should sell it and buy an iPhone 4S which runs iOS7 much better? Doesn't that basically say that therefore the i4 runs iOS7 much worse than the 4S, which presumably runs it worse than the 5 and 5S? So indeed the iPhone 4 runs it pretty badly, and certainly it's the worst of the bunch?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
So on the one hand you're saying that iOS7 works perfectly well, and on the other you're saying that my father should sell it and buy an iPhone 4S which runs iOS7 much better? Doesn't that basically say that therefore the i4 runs iOS7 much worse than the 4S, which presumably runs it worse than the 5 and 5S? So indeed the iPhone 4 runs it pretty badly, and certainly it's the worst of the bunch?

No. (did you actually read my post? lol) It runs fine on iPhone 4. But if you are not happy after reporting the issues to Apple and with the latest firmware updates, your option would be to upgrade to a newer faster iPhone, iPhone 4S would be ideal. Cheap and runs iOS7. Of course it runs better than an iPhone 4, it's dual core, better GPU but comparable to an iPhone 5, without the extra cost.

I am assuming this is not good enough though. Either Apple need to offer an option to downgrade to iOS6 or make iOS7 runs the same as on one of the newer phones.

Damn Apple. Providing an os update to a 4 year old phone, then making it run worse than their dual core iPhone 4S. How dare they! How dare they! hehehe

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No. (did you actually read my post? lol) It runs fine on iPhone 4. But if you are not happy after reporting the issues to Apple and with the latest firmware updates, your option would be to upgrade to a newer faster iPhone, iPhone 4S would be ideal. Cheap and runs iOS7. Of course it runs better than an iPhone 4, it's dual core, better GPU but comparable to an iPhone 5, without the extra cost.

I am assuming this is not good enough though. Either Apple need to offer an option to downgrade to iOS6 or make iOS7 runs the same as on one of the newer phones.

Damn Apple. Providing an os update to a 4 year old phone, then making it run worse than their dual core iPhone 4S. How dare they! How dare they! hehehe

You're completely missing the point. The phone was working perfectly well and my father was very happy with it. Then the iOS7 'update' arrived, which severely curtailed his enjoyment of the phone. Your reply to this is what does he expect, it's an old POS phone so he should just go out and buy a new one?
My point is that Apple shouldn't be pushing updates onto hardware which cannot handle it. The i4 cannot handle it in my opinion. Sure it 'works' but it's a frustrating experience now. It's very slow and feels like an outdated piece of tech which needs binning ASAP. So why should my father be happy to go from a perfectly working device to one which he feels the need to upgrade ASAP, all 20 minutes after an Apple update? Fair much?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
You're completely missing the point. The phone was working perfectly well and my father was very happy with it. Then the iOS7 'update' arrived, which severely curtailed his enjoyment of the phone. Your reply to this is what does he expect, it's an old POS phone so he should just go out and buy a new one?
My point is that Apple shouldn't be pushing updates onto hardware which cannot handle it. The i4 cannot handle it in my opinion. Sure it 'works' but it's a frustrating experience now. It's very slow and feels like an outdated piece of tech which needs binning ASAP. So why should my father be happy to go from a perfectly working device to one which he feels the need to upgrade ASAP, all 20 minutes after an Apple update? Fair much?

I have an iphone 4 on 7.1.1 and an ipad mini retina which is a high end ios 7 device and I still think that 7 runs ok on iphone 4. Just restore the iphone, keep only 3 rows of icons per page and disable everything you don't use, or your father.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I just erased the podcast app. It works terrible on the iPhone 4 and the so-called "sync" is a mess. I miss being able to go to specific chapters in my iTunes-bought audiobooks. Besides these two problems I haven't any other problems with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an iphone 4 on 7.1.1 and an ipad mini retina which is a high end ios 7 device and I still think that 7 runs ok on iphone 4. Just restore the iphone, keep only 3 rows of icons per page and disable everything you don't use, or your father.
So basically make the phone half as useful by disabling a bunch of stuff and worrying about how many apps or how many apps per page there are just to get it decently useful...when it was more than that on iOS 6 without crippling anything and constantly limiting yourself to what you can do or worrying about how many app icons you have on which pages. That certainly sounds like fun.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
So basically make the phone half as useful by disabling a bunch of stuff and worrying about how many apps or how many apps per page there are just to get it decently useful...when it was more than that on iOS 6 without crippling anything and constantly limiting yourself to what you can do or worrying about how many app icons you have on which pages. That certainly sounds like fun.

I said "disable everything you don't NEED" not "don't unlock the phone". And what's bad in having 3 rows of apps?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I said "disable everything you don't NEED" not "don't unlock the phone". And what's bad in having 3 rows of apps?
So just to use the phone (forget actually enjoying it), don't do anything you might actually want or enjoy, only what you "NEED" nothing more. You paid all that money for it and enjoyed and used whatever you wanted with iOS 6 but now you for to limit yourself just to have the phone functioning decently enough because Apple decided it supposedly should run iOS 7. Add to that that for whatever reason you should now think and worry about how many icons you have on any given screen--sounds simple of course, but the fact that you even would need to pay attention and spend any time on something silly like just to supposedly have a functional phone is...well...silly.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
So just to use the phone (forget actually enjoying it), don't do anything you might actually want or enjoy, only what you "NEED" nothing more. You paid all that money for it and enjoyed and used whatever you wanted with iOS 6 but now you for to limit yourself just to have the phone functioning decently enough because Apple decided it supposedly should run iOS 7. Add to that that for whatever reason you should now think and worry about how many icons you have on any given screen--sounds simple of course, but the fact that you even would need to pay attention and spend any time on something silly like just to supposedly have a functional phone is...well...silly.

No, not like that, you don't see my point here, let me help you understand: I don't use Facetime so I disable it, i don't use imessge so I disable it, I don't want to use photostream so... guess what? I DISABLE IT. Do you see my point here? I do this on 6 too. The only thing that bugs me is the lag I get when I scroll through albums and in settings app, that's it, that lag just kills me sometimes so that's why every time a new ios 7 version comes out, I upgrade and if I don't like it I downgrade but some users don't have this option to downgrade.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, not like that, you don't see my point here, let me help you understand: I don't use Facetime so I disable it, i don't use imessge so I disable it, I don't want to use photostream so... guess what? I DISABLE IT. Do you see my point here? I do this on 6 too. The only thing that bugs me is the lag I get when I scroll through albums and in settings app, that's it, that lag just kills me sometimes so that's why every time a new ios 7 version comes out, I upgrade and if I don't like it I downgrade but some users don't have this option to downgrade.
Most people use a lot of those things so they wouldn't disable them, which means not much would change for them as they wouldn't be disabling those things that you imply would help in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.