iOS 7 on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by watchthisspace, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Again, I think it's relative. Compared to a 4S or 5, it's slower. However, I think it's far from 'annoying' or 'choppy.'. YMMV, I guess.

2. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Any reason the homescreen lags when scrolling?

Biggest annoyance of all

3. nalk7 macrumors regular

For an update I just made some tea and the lock screen countdown was working this time. :D

4. ncvikingx97 macrumors member

Bummer. I tried restoring , but it just caused me to have to have to connect to itunes, where I didnt have itubes 11.1. Now my ph I be is a brick until I call verizon lol.

5. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that you mention in, I always thought iOS:6 took ages before I could start speaking on call, where as with iOS:7 so far as soon as I press, accept, I can talk.

Another member mentioned letting the iPhone to cache everything and then it should speed up. Give a night to charge and do it's thing. It has sped up some things for me.

For a 3 year old device, it's doing well. I personally have an eye for jittery animations and lag because I'm a bit of a hardcore gamer and notice these things. But so far it's been perfect acceptable. The animation duration could be quicker. I like opening something, BAM it's open (for an example)

I have a jitter here and there, only when moving fast between pages.

Today I will be putting the phone through a typical day (occasional checking of emails, facebook, etc) and see how the battery life is.

6. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Am I going mad or does the animated clock icon cause the homescreen lag?

I am testing it now...

Clock on homescreen, and then clock hidden in a folder.

I seriously feel it doesn't lag when scrolling when it's in a folder. Can anyone else try?

7. fortheus macrumors regular

GM performs better on my iphone4 so far compared with beta6

8. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

I installed yesterday. It was laggy initially. Once everything from my backup was restored and it finished whatever it was doing (indexing?) it's now smooth again. Just like iOS6.

10. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I am very OCD about lags.

Trust me - if you DFU restore iOS7 onto your iPhone 4 it is VERY smooth... just leave it for a few hours to fully restore (iCloud takes hours).

Can someone please test though - I think the clock app is causing homescreen swiping lag... if you didn't notice it is animated now. Try swiping back and forth to the homescreen which has the clock on it, and then try again with the clock app in a folder (so it's no longer animated).

11. hazuki macrumors regular

please tell me more about "DFU restore"
    thank you!

12. danb77 macrumors 6502

So now I am starting to get torn. The slowness of text entry in Safari, in turning on from standby, and in other areas is starting to niggle.

This *feels* much slower than iOS6, and is starting to frustrate me. I am contemplating reverting back to iOS 6 while it is still possible.

iOS 6 was also not perfect and I might be exaggerating the extent of the difference though. Does anyone have two iPhone 4s they can test side by side to compare performance?

That would be heroic!

13. watchthisspace, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

DFU mode restore requires putting the iPhone into DFU mode then restoring via iTunes

Here's a link on how to get your iPhone into restore mode: http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode

I'm quite OCD about performance and for the most part notice these things. The text entry in Safari does lag for me, mostly when it's bringing up history. And yeah I notice the waking from Standby being a bit lengthy.

I have noticed that in Safari when switches between portrait and landscape mode the transition animation is super smooth. I found it to stutter slightly in iOS:6

I have also updated my gallery to also include a days usage for me.

I cannot stress enough though that the only time my iPhone was 'on charge' was when I plugged in my iPhone to export the photo onto my PC. The battery wouldn't of charged more than 2%.

Attached Files:

14. danb77 macrumors 6502

Yes - certain things are much smoother! I think making calls is much smoother than ios 6 - I always had a lag on answer which was annoying. Zero lag on answer in ios 7.

I do trust Apple to iron out these remaining performance issues in ios 7. My only worry is when they will stop allowing downgrades to ios 6. Does anyone know when they normally do this?

15. Nikcomp macrumors newbie

Let the Iphone sit for 30 minutes

Been using Gold Master for Iphone 4. I would wait 30-60 minutes before using after you start your icloud sync. Honestly the animations are jittery but the actual performance seems smoother than IOS 6. Its "way" better than IOS7 beta 6 which to me really wasn't usable. Good job overall supporting such an old phone by Apple.:)

16. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

iOS natively now detects song titles on iPhone 4?

17. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Seems like many of the observations about iOS 7 and the 4 have been about animations. I wish Apple would either adjust them for older devices or give the option to not have them. I remember on my 3G (which I mistakenly updated the phone to iOS4) there was a jail break to speed animations. At least the speed gave the illusion the phone was working smoother!

18. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I gotta say - Safari for me is the big win.

On iOS6 it just felt so god damn slow, I hated it. Stopped even using Safari in the end, but on iOS7 it is super smooth

19. danb77 macrumors 6502

Browsing is smooth but tab button and omnibar are slow.....

20. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I had that jailbreak tweak too on my phone. It did make the phone look a lot snappier.

21. mRta03 macrumors newbie

Does anyone knows how to enable "Frequent Locations" on iPhone 4? I've been gathering some information about it on Google and I still don't understand how we enable the service. It would be really nice to use the traffic information on the Notification Center.

On general, there's a little lag when you press the Home button to unlock the phone, and some here and there while operating the phone. I guess it's ok if you think it's an iPhone 4. Either way, I never expected that something so clean and beautiful would be on this old phone.

And there's no AirDrop too, such a shame.

22. danb77 macrumors 6502

So - just for the comparison I threw iOS 6.1.3 back on my iPhone 4. And was blown away how smooth and responsive it felt! iOS 6 just feels "right" on the phone. iOS 7 at the moment feels like I'm expecting too much of the thing. OK, it's not quite Windows Vista, but it is more sluggish than I am used to with this product.

So… for the time being I have decided to stay down at 6.1.3. Give me a shout if 7 gets snappier!

23. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

It used to exist back in beta 1 or 2, but they removed it at some point AFAIK. Didn't found it that useful anyway, it just kept telling me how long I'd need to get to my uni because that's apparently the place I frequent the most. And believe me, I know how long it takes me to get there, I don't need my phone telling me.

24. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

After calling 2 people, it finally named a song that was playing. I don't think my accent helps.

25. Purant macrumors 6502

It's much better than beta 6, but it's still slow.

To clarify, most things are okay (a bit slower and stuttery than ios6 but acceptable) and some things are WAY too slow. Example, drop down lists in safari take quite a while to become responsive. Performance in games is noticeably slower.

I found beta 6 unusable, GM is usable but not great.