iOS 7 on the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tigress666, Sep 14, 2014.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I know I'm really late to the party but I'm thinking of maybe finally updating my iPad 2 to iOS 7 before it is too late. I didn't before cause it was getting old and Apple devices tend to have a reputation of not running new OS's well when they get about 2 years old.

Anyways, does the iPad 2 run iOS 7 decently (and does it affect battery life much)?

I really am loathe to try the new OS, I'm almost sure now it won't run well on the 2 (hasn't apple this year decided to stop making the 2?). Maybe if I hear good things but definitely not trying without hearing how well it does.

So any thoughts?

2. RiderX macrumors regular

No problem here. Runs smooth, battery is great as always, even after 3.5 years and heavy use.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Go for it. Theres really not much of a speed difference and the features trumps the hold off any day. Better yet, get iOS 8 (or 8.1) since some apps might require it especially for extensibility.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I own an iPad 2 and upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7. If I had to do it over again, I would have stayed on iOS 6. IMO, iOS 7 is an uneven experience on pretty much every iPad. My iPad 3 is still running iOS 5 and i'm not upgrading. I know better, lol. Fool me once is all I have to say.

My Air is running iOS 7 because that's what it came with. After reading some of the iOS 8 comments, i'm going to wait it out before deciding to upgrade my Air.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Both of my daughters have iPad 2s and they seem to be happy with iOS 7 on them. I expect iOS 8 to run well too. The iPad 2 is a heckuva tablet!

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Love iOS 7 on my iPad 2. Runs smoothly and lots of nice features.

7. peridot macrumors member

iOS 7 on my iPad 2 works great too! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

8. RiderX macrumors regular

I just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8. I wanted to try it out quickly as long I can go back to iOS 7 from my backup.

After playing a few hours with all my apps: works better than expected. Safari seems to be slightly faster, everything else is smooth as before. Can't understand the folks who say it is unusable. I have a few GB free, maybe that helps.

I made the update using iTunes. So far happy.

(Small bug though: OpenVPN sometimes disconnects and does not reconnect. Still trying to figure out a solution).

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

oldmacs

Go ahead, I did the same thing for my Dad. He hated iOS 7 to start with so he never upgraded from iOS 6, but he doesn't mind it now on his iPhone 5, so I decided to update him before iOS 8 came out, to avoid performance issues, but maintain better compatibility/security.

Its marginally slower for him, but he's more than satisfied.