iOS 7 - Opinions on how Apple went sideways

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Black Magic, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

iOS 7 is an interesting release from Apple with some great features and some head scratching design features IMHO. Let's take a gander on what mistakes were made.

1. The design is truly a copy of Yahoo Weather App. This is good and bad. Bad because the icons they used instead of the Yahoo flat style are absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure they could have used the Yahoo Weather icon style icons because they appear to have no border and would clash with the third party installed icons. I think this is one decision that bit them in the ass when they decided on going the Yahoo Weather route. If this was the first iOS release, this would have allowed them to use the Yahoo icons as well.

2. Control Center is a foobar. Why do we have it? iPhone has great battery life and having quick access to those settings is nice but they are not something you really toggle on and off all the time like Android phones. Maybe I'm the exception but this feature I feel is not needed and comes across as uninspired/me tooish feature.

3. No new or true must have features outside of call and text blocking.

I also don't understand why they felt the need to throw out little jabs at Scott F. It's all subjective but his design of iOS 6 blows away iOS 7 currently, Android, and WP8. In fact, if I was a competing company, I would snatch him up.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If so, we maybe witnessing the start of a decline. I truly believe Steve Jobs would have never released iOS 7 in it's current state.

Your thoughts?

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

From first glance my major issues are with

• the icon appearance, which I think risks scaring off many upgraders cause they won't recognize things, and I refer to app internal icons as well
    • The even worse Game Center
    • The placement of Control Center (I'm fine with having it for those that feel they need it so much)
    • The, in my view, unnecessary moving wallpaper
    • The continued presence of 'widget apps' like weather and stocks. Just let us download what we need
    • The fonts. Too light I feel for general readability. Keep it but a thicker and/or darker version

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

They literally did everything that everyone has been complaining about and clamoring for 2+ years.

OMG THE SKY IS FALLING STEVE WOULDN'T HAVE ALLOWED THIS DOOMED.

If you want to stay in 2010, go ahead. The rest of us are moving on.

:cool:

4. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

The icons and design are personal preference. Just because you think they're "atrocious" doesn't mean everyone else does. I'll leave this one be because I happen to like them.

Control Center is a new feature and is a must have for a lot of people. Bluetooth is usually the biggest battery drain, and wifi to an extent. Being able to toggle those off is great for increasing battery life while on the go. And the expanded buttons for flash light, air drop, air play, etc are a bonus to a have in one convenient location accessible while in any app.

Photo App revamp is a new feature. Collections is a huge addition and must have for people that primarily take photos with their iPhone.

iTunes Radio is also another feature. Sure, there were other services from Pandora, Spotify, etc. but this is one that is built in to iOS and has greater functionality. I'll be using it over Pandora for sure.

There are loads of other smaller things that add up to make a nice list of additions and changes.

It is a sign of things to come. This is the new iOS. They won't change back to the old design and format because a small portion of people don't like it. You can truly believe that but we'll never know what Job's would have thought of this iOS iteration. I had heard that Job's had influence on the plans for iOS up through later versions before he passed, so it could be this was some of his ideas put in to effect. But this is the official announcement for the new direction of iOS. Complaining about it won't make them change their focus. If you don't like it, don't upgrade.

5. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

The "rest" of you could have moved on by downloading a dream board theme that looks 100x better than this childish one on iOS 7.

Meh.

6. matttye macrumors 601

Complaining will make it all better!

7. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I guess some of you just want to hear that everything is rainbows and butterflies. Let's stick our head in the sand and all the problems will go away.

In reality, this is how most things in the world get fixed. Criticism. Why did Apple make this current change? People were complaining. Please think before you post.

8. matttye macrumors 601

iOS 7 - Opinions on how Apple went sideways

Apple has a feedback link. You don't have to whine about it here where Apple aren't going to read it like petulant children.

If you don't like it don't bloody use it!!

9. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Disagree on the Yahoo! comment.
    The Yahoo! app is MUCH MORE polished in terms of the "fit and finish" the app provides.

Just an example, there is "dual" transparency within the app. What I mean by that is that the background is faded but then the info tiles are "frosted glass". This provides a significant upgrade in the ability to read info/contrast of text.

Secondly, the info panels are not edge to edge. This provides a "higher end" look that is more polished but also doesn't look as cheap.

Third, the colors within the app are much more pleasing to the eye. The Yahoo! app uses more "traditional" colors instead of the pastels Apple has gone with. This also give the app a much higher end look.

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It is the yahoo weather app and it says so on the bottom.

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Well, complaining about "ios is stale" did work in the end, right?

Now you have your android on iPhone, yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to list my iPhone and grab a nexus instead. Funny how WWDC worked the other way for me lol. Will see what happens next year.

12. NewYork88 macrumors member

NewYork88

I agree ,I love it ,they fixed or added what I needed and then some.....Plus Beta 1 is smoother than any Android phone I've owned(the last 2 were a Droid DNA and GS3)

13. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

If you don't like the criticism don't bloody read it too.

People are not allowed to say why they hate it but they are allowed to say why they love it eh?

Double standards ftw?

14. Razeus macrumors 601

iOS 7 is all about changing the way it looks, NOT works. There's like 3 features I would like and those are minimal. Where's default apps? Where's integration with other apps? Where's multi-user accounts for iPad?

iOS7 is just a Facelift with some plain features attached. And the color scheme they are using are a wee-bit too girly/feminine.

15. matttye macrumors 601

Apple does what it wants..people have been calling iOS stale since the 3GS, and they brought out another three phones before changing the OS drastically.

Please do. I don't know why you feel the need to tell everyone though. This isn't a support group. Just do it.

----------

I'm just saying if you don't like it, why waste your time posting about it? It would surely be better to spend your time doing something you like rather than posting about something you don't like.

I don't like metal music but I'm not going to join a metal forum to tell everyone how much I dislike the music. That's just pointless.

16. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

What I was trying to say is the design of iOS 7 in general with the layers and all that appears to be base on the yahoo Weather App.

17. V900 macrumors newbie

Besides the above issues, Apple also (for what reason I can't imagine) has chosen to ignore some of the most basic UI rules.
    (Just look at the icons, for crying out loud.. An icon is meant to be a visual representation of something. How are a couple of colluded blobs a representation of games?!?)

If you go inside the apps, for example, you'll quickly notice how poorly the buttons are handled. It's often hard to see whether its an actual action button, or just a description or text field.

Inside the developers guidelines, Apple is actually recommending developers to use colors to indicate an action instead of visual clues.

It's a mindbendingly awful decision right there. (Esp. If you're colorblind)

18. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Like I mentioned above, iOS 7 entire gui design feels like it took cues from the existing Yahoo Weather App.

19. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

The integration with other apps baffles me. With android you could install an app say Instagram. And from the camera app you can immedialty share to Instagram as it plays nicely with the android os. You would think that the new iOS would allow developers to develope an app, that once installed integrates more fully with the os.

20. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Oh cmon, go preach this to everyone else, i am willing to wire you $500000 if the entire forum doesn't become a ghost town once they follow your "advice".

Apple buckled under pressure and gave up and this is clearly the end result. And I have every right to proclaim this as much as you do for "not they didn't".

Grow up and move on.

21. matttye macrumors 601

That final sentence is what you need to do instead of your incessant whining!

22. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Mattye,

Your presence in this thread has brought little to no value. Why are you here? You are way off topic and derailing the conversation. We get it. You don't like people complaining about stuff you love. Please move on.

23. matttye macrumors 601

This entire thread brings no value to the forum, so my posts in it bringing little to no value is hardly surprising now is it?

24. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Same applies to you. Go ahead.

----------

The "bawwwww i cannot upgrade my iPhone at AT&T" threads don't bring any value either. Stop the hypocrisy ok?

You want to be forum police? Then go do it all over, not just pick and choose.

25. matttye macrumors 601

I've never once posted a thread about AT&T.