iOS 7 performance on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Beaverman3001, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

Hello all, I am not using iOS 7 yet. I was thinking about purchasing either a 4th gen iPad or iPad mini soon and wanted to inquire how good/bad the performance is on these models, particularly the iPad mini? I know it is beta so there will be things wrong that make performance hard to judge, I just worry about buying a mini now and it not being capable after a year.

2. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

It's laggy on my iPad 4 (Beta 3) keyboard lags, animation lags. Hopefully that'll be fixed in beta 4/5/6/7.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

The new iPads will be out later this year, might want to wait.

4. gglittle macrumors regular

Did you do a Reset All Settings, or Erase All Content and Settings? I had a laggy keyboard which was rectified by using erase.

5. Beaverman3001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about that, just worried a new mini won't release this year. Might try and hold out, just hard when you have the itch to buy :p

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

They'll probably release it. It's the Retina display which may or may not be included.

7. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I had lag on my iPad mini. I ended up going back to iOS 6. I am one that hopes it gets fixed also. We will see.

8. Visubversa macrumors newbie

I have it on my iPad mini, and I love it. I really don't have anything stronger to compare it to, but I can at least say confidently that I have had far less problems on my mini and my iPhone 4 than 90% of the people here. iOS 7 has a couple of hiccups here and there on both devices, but I haven't had a single crash, or anything major since beta 3 came. As far as holding out for a new one.. I'd say why wait. As much as I'd like a retina display, I can't really see how they could without changing the form factor of something that's so nice to hold now. It would suck up too much power, meaning bigger battery, meaning thicker shell needed. If anything it'll be a Mini S and just be a little faster. To say it needs a retina display is to say what it has now needs improvement, and honestly, it's not that bad at all.

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I did a clean install on an iPad mini and it performs very well indeed - better than I was expecting for an early beta. There are small moments of lag but nothing too intrusive and I would expect final code without the associated logging to run very smoothly on the currently iPad mini. To summarise, I haven't seen anything in the beta that put me off running an iPad mini with IOS 7.

10. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Yes to the beta thing you said, it's hard to tell, if you buy an iPad today, you will be good for at least two years, and the final version of iOS 7 will run as it is supposed to be.

Now, saying that, I would wait, in 2-3 months Apple will launch the new iPhone and some new iPads, they might include a "secret" new feature for those, so yeah, I would wait.

11. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Beta 3 working great on my iPad 3. No clean install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Beta 3 was unusable on my iPad 3, clean install.
    Laggy wasn't the word for it.
    If I put my finger, even near the screen, it would crash.

Been using it with my iPhone 5 for 2 weeks without serious issue, nice and snappy on there.

Hoping beta4 fixes the iPad issues.

13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

After the iPad 3/4 releases being so close caused a mini uproar, why would Apple release two iPad Minis so close to each other? That would be a terrible idea and I don't see Apple doing it.

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

They could be wrong about the March/April release of the Retina mini. They're only analysts after all.

18. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

19. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

I did a clean install on an iPad 3 and it's jerky/lagging, been holding out for the next beta but if it does not arrive soon I'll have to go back to 6 to get my old iPad back.

20. Jab00 macrumors regular

So far I have b3 installed on my Mini but not my iPad 3 and well I must say I am really liking it.. haven't run into too many bugs or lags other than the lock screen. Overall though I would say iOS 7 is running pretty smoothly on the iPad Mini

21. johndallas macrumors newbie

johndallas

Does that mean i'll loose all my stuff and have to resync?

22. gglittle macrumors regular

It is a possibility.