iOS 7 Podcast App Replacement

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by britboyj, Jun 26, 2013.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Hey guys -

Currently running beta2 and it appears Apple still haven't fixed whatever bugs cause the bizarre behaviour in the Podcasts app (hanging, never allowing you to go back, etc.) and HAS created a Siri check to see if Podcasts is installed before it will play them.*

Since this is making driving home from work madening, does anyone have any podcast-playing App suggestions other that Stitcher? (Stitcher likes to eat up my data allowance)

Thanks in advance!

*It appears that podcasts are still kept in the ipod/music folder, as Soundhound sees them as a category, but also freaks out when trying to play them. In beta1, I could tell Siri to play a podcast and it would play without issue, without opening the Podcasts app.

2. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Apple is aware of the issue; hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update. I looked for a good half hour or so and tried Sticher and it was nice but didn't support everything I needed (and I refuse to spend any money on one for 2 weeks use). So I fell upon an app called "LineCast" which is free and plays podcasts (obviously what I care most about). It does lack a bunch of useful features though, like remembering your place or being controlled via ControlCenter. The official Podcasts app is definitely better but this will do for now. Just don't expect much out of the app, it's pretty lacking but that's my free recommendation from what I tried

If you find anything better please tell me. I'll consider buying one

3. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Since they took manual podcasts out of the Music app in 7.0 I had to find an alternative.

This board suggested iCatcher which I really enjoy for the most part.

The only thing I don't like about it is when I connect to my car's bluetooth to play podcasts over the stereo the "Album" category on the car display shows the timestamp of the Podcast. The whole display refreshes every 20 seconds or so, almost like I started playing a new file. I'm not sure if that is killing my battery in addition to being annoying, but it's the only downside I have found with it.

I used to sync my phone every morning to get the newest podcasts, but I have become a convert to just doing it all on the phone.

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Downcast is the best one I have owned and I have owned them all.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I second Downcast. Only thing I don't like about it is there is no desktop client, but I heard the dev is making one.

6. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

7. Msan macrumors newbie

+1

8. justblais macrumors member

another vote for downcast

I too have cycled through all the major podcast apps available and downcast has far and away been the best (was an instacast user for a long time as well)

honestly this is a better move in the long run for you....downcast (or any dedicated app from the app store really) is infinitely better than apple's Podcasts.app

consider Podcasts.app not working a blessing in disguise ;)

9. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

I'm going to give Downcast a shot at the same time as iCatcher.

A feature I see Downcast doesn't have is custom art for podcasts. 2 of my most listened to podcasts done come with art and I really like being able to add them in iCatcher.

I do like that Downcast has a volume boost, however.

10. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

I am using RSS radio, which is working well and bug free.

11. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Downcast is the best.

Also I'm sure you know this, but ios 7 is a beta. Apps aren't meant to work on it yet.

12. liamry macrumors member

i've just been downloading them on iTunes on my laptop, spotlight search the podcast name and it opens it in the music app fine

13. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

They should work, especially the Apple Apps :)

14. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

I like iCatcher because it lets me restrict it to downloading only on a specific wifi.

15. buldir macrumors newbie

buldir

Wow. Try Aural (http://aural.fm). It's $2.99, but trust me, it's good. Already designed to "fit in" with iOS 7 (i.e. colors and typography). Very simple interface using gestures, long-taps, etc. Streaming support for episodes, pause/resume download queue, and most-recent unplayed and all downloads playlists. It is not, however, a podcast power-users app. In other words, it has no settings that I can find.

16. Prabas, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas