iOS 7 Public Release Question

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by oklahoma258, Jul 2, 2013.

1. oklahoma258 macrumors member

I have the iOS 7 beta downloaded to my iPhone 4S and I was wondering when the true public release comes out in the fall will I be able to download it straight from the beta on my iPhone or will I have to downgrade back to iOS 6 and do it from there?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Northernist macrumors member

When the GM (basically the final consumer release) comes out, you will be able to use iTunes to update to it. It won't be OTA but you won't have to restore back to 6.x either.

3. saving107, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Even if possible, I wouldn't recommend updating from a beta to final release.

I am a big believer of doing a fresh install on major OS updates on both iOS and on the Mac (and PC).

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No one knows if the final release will be an OTA update from the final beta or not but you should remember that all betas expire so there's a very good chance that the beta you have now will expire long before the public release.
    In other words if you think you can just hang on to the beta you have now and wait for the public release you are probably mistaken.
    You'd better count on upgrading to every new beta until public release or else dropping back to iOS 6 and waiting.

5. 8a22a, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It was not. You had to either download the GM from the developers site or update through iTunes to go to the release version of iOs 6.

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Best way to go from any beta to final GM is to restore your iPhone with iTunes, it will install the GM for you but do not restore any previous backups, just set it up as a new handset. This way you get a nice clean install with no bugs etc from previous backups.

8. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

The actual public Release is OTA, for anyone on the public release of the previous iOS version..

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is correct, only not OTA if you are coming from an iOS 7 beta.

10. Frederico Luna macrumors member

For all of you who say we should do a clean/fresh install, how do you backup all your app data? Do you just lose it?

11. jpg macrumors regular

Before I just lost everything that wasn't synced with iCloud. This time around though I think I will try ifunbox or something similar. Does anybody have any experience with that?

12. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Yes. App data doesn't mean that much to me. If I'm playing a game, that I really like, I don't mind starting from scratch in the game.

I prefer having an OS installed, that performs at it's best without weird bugs and random issues.

13. jcdm macrumors member

It will be easier return to ios 6 and then install ios 7?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm sure they just lose it. Some apps have other means of syncing or backing up the data, though.

15. oklahoma258 thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate all the replies and suggestions. I was just wondering and I'll probably just do it through the Mac.

16. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Just checked my Twitter from last year and you're right. It had to be done the painful way. ;)