iOS 7 rotation lag (with keyboard on)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TommyA6, Sep 30, 2013.

1. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I'd just like to ask a few people here if they are experiencing slight lag while rotating screen, when keyboard is on.
    Ex. Go into messages app, and start writing a new message (just to put the keyboard on screen). When the keyboard is on, rotate your device to landscape. The rotation animation isn't super smooth on my iPhone 5. (It works for every app that uses keyboard).
    The important thing to notice is all the translucency must be turned ON, so turn off increase contrast and try it (+ post the device you're using) :)
    I just wanna know if it happens on 5s/5c as well.

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Performance on the 5c should be similar as it's got the same internals. I've got a 5 now, too, and while it's true that you can see individual frames during the rotation animation, I wouldn't say that it bothers me at all. But maybe Apple have intentionally opted for the lag, so people upgrade their phones :p

3. TommyA6 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's far from terrible, but yes, you can notice it. Hopefully someone with a 5s replies so we can see if it too suffers from the same "problem".
    When "increase contrast" is turned on, the animation is super smooth (the same goes for apps which use the old keyboard). :)

4. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

On the 5s the animation is not super smooth as well. I'd say normal UI is like 60fps but this is 20fps. Kind of disappointing but hey, it's just one animation that has such a problem.

5. TommyA6 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it will get ironed out as Apple releases iOS 7.x.x, but yeah not a big deal.

6. liteshow macrumors regular

Are you referring to lagging as a delay? I see both a lag (slight delay/pause) and also jerkiness/roughness (animations not smooth like a low fps video) on my 4s with translucency on.

With translucency off, rotation animation is super smooth. However, the time lag at the start of the rotation is still there. I believe Apple intentionally programmed the animation lag, just like all the other animations (e.g device waking up from sleep, zooming in/out of opening/closing apps, etc). That lag may add a nice touch but it slows us down and also gives some people motion sickness.

7. TommyA6 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was referring to dropped frame rate in the animation, which seem to be related to the iOS 7 itself, rather than hardware (CPU/GPU), because it affects both older and the newest iPhones (as far as I can see from a few posts here)

8. fardeenah macrumors regular

9. vcao macrumors regular

turn on "Increase Contrast" and the animation is smooth as butter. IMO is a nicer more flat minimal experience too. 2 cents

10. TommyA6 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know turning "increase contrast" on will give the buttery smooth frame rate, but I love the translucency in keyboard and throughout iOS 7 :D

11. Fission macrumors regular

Same here. Good to see the 5s has the issue as well. Means that Apple will be fixing it soon.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I really can't tell the difference with my 5S. Both look fine and smooth to me.

13. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

5S does lose frames there

14. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I tried different animationes (with IC and without, with keyboard and without), and only without IC and with keyboard stuttered a little. Here on my iPhone 5s.

15. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

a lot of iOS7 is unoptimized. That particular animation being one of the many. That's what you can expect from Apple going forward. Releasing beta versions of software with as much ****** swept under the rug as they can manage. I'm sure it might (or might not) get fixed in a future update.

16. The Highlander macrumors 6502

5S is extremely laggy here... if keyboard is out, rotation animation and going back to home screen animation lags always... or stutters.

17. fscarpin macrumors newbie

iOS 7.1 Beta 1

iOS 7.1 Beta 1 was launched and unfortunately the lag still there.
    PS: Using an iPhone 5.

18. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

That's strange. I read someone say that it was gone in the beta.

19. TommyA6 thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't found any videos so far, so hopefully it is improved in later betas. Nevertheless, iOS 7.1 does appear to be noticeably smoother than 7.0.4.:)

20. Igorfilanda macrumors newbie

I have installed iOS7.1 Beta on my 5S and I can confirm that rotation with translucent keyboard on is smooth now in messages, safari, notes etc. But I have notice something else with animation when close apps. There is minimum 1 frame frozen during animation (20% of animation time close to end) that this frame stay in position like frame before. This bug is also in iOS7.1 Beta. I have recorded this with my 420fps camera and prepare investigated video with detailed explanation so after i will put it on Youtube. I want to tell it to Apple to watch this video because I really want to solve this. I know rhus us detail but if everything is OK In iOS7 but this frozen frames are present my finally feeling from Apple is very BAD.

21. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

The fact that Apple improved the animation shows they care about it. I'll bet further betas continue to address these nasty animation bugs.

22. The Highlander macrumors 6502

It is one of the main reason I am an iPhone user and not android....

But iOS7 is really pushing me towards android unless a Jailbreak comes and I can get rid of a lot of things and make them back like iOS6. Specially BiteSMS.

23. Merkie macrumors 68020

iOS 7.1 fixes a lot of animations issues. Animations are faster (really, I compared 7.1 to 7.0.4 side by side) and smoother on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Other devices are untested, but I guess that in general, iOS 7.1 will give visual performance a huge boost.

24. The Highlander macrumors 6502

Iphone 5s gets EXTREMELY laggy when out of memory. Something that did not happen with the 5 and jailbreak....

25. The Highlander macrumors 6502

beta 2 is worse than 7.0.4. Beta 1 was best right now... those claiming beta 2 is faster are completely wrong.