iOS 7 sharing vs Android

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by shadowlawless, Sep 18, 2013.

1. shadowlawless macrumors newbie

Last year i changed from ios to android just to chek out the s3. long story short feeling like jumping back to ios for various reasons.

been trying to figure out which features i'd really miss from android and the only one that would really irk me if its not on ios is "Sharing to any app"

As far as i know on ios 6 you could only share to a handful of apps like twitter facebook email and thats about it. on android i can share pictures webpages screenshots whatever to whatsapp dropbox bitdroid ect

Does anyone know if this is possible in ios 7?

2. 1member1 macrumors 6502

3. shadowlawless thread starter macrumors newbie

Its underatandable if it hasnt been implementd on any apps yet as its just been released. But have any developerS commented that its possible, or are there any developers here that know if its now possible

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I don't believe there's a unified framework/APIs for this, no.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is the major reason why there's no consistent and system wide ability to share data across various apps in iOS.

Its too bad, because it would be a great feature.

6. LeonKnight12 macrumors newbie

There an Apple app called "Bump" allows you to transfer pictures..

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a series of disparate apps that allow similar functionality, but nothing system wide or consistently.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think Bump has just been bought by Google too. Not sure if we'll see it phased out though.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I'm feel confident it will come eventually... they really need to add this in iOS 8 I think. The 'Open With' feature was promising - but that's been around for 3 years now.

10. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Isn't Bump similar to Air Drop?

11. shadowlawless, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

shadowlawless thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a real shame. As its literally the only thing I might miss. It seems apple takes issue with file handling period. In os x all this full screen stuff more or less disables drag and drop and the icloud initiative prevents or heavily restricts how and where you save files. Which is especially annoying if you work on projects which use many different programs and file types where saving them in a project folder cam be helpfil.. If they could only open their grasp just slightly for convenience over concept. They already have share to Facebook and Twitter, how hard would it be to let developers access that?

12. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I guess you are staying with Android then…...

13. shadowlawless thread starter macrumors newbie

Possibly, havent decided yet. when I get the chance ill download io7 on my ipad and my girls iphone and see how it works. The main thing I miss from the iphone is reliability speed compatibility and consistency. The s3 is good and all but it slows down very often, has hiccups and apps arent always supprted on it. And even if they are sometimes they dont run how they should.

Whats preventing me from going back to my iPhone is mainly itunes and the sharing issue. Till this date iTunes is persistent about deleting everything on my new ipad simply because it's new. "You to add audio book? Must delete entire library" , "you want to take off pictures? Must delete music videos and pictures". You want to organise your apps? Here's an interface that gives you no advantage what's so ever over doing it on your ipad and Also would you like to delete all your apps?

Soooo annoying

14. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

So…. the issues that annoy you on Android - is there also a forum where users of Android/Samsung slate the samsung phone and Android OS as much as iOS gets slated here???

Do you also see users creating thread after thread of how hopeless Android is and how they have made the users 'suicidal' or 'murderous'….

It would be interesting to know what goes on the other side…….

15. shadowlawless, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

shadowlawless thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm slightly confused? I enquired about a feature on ios 7 in the ios forum because I'm thinking of upgrading. After a couple answers someone asked if I was sticking with android then.

I replied by saying possibly, and then elaborated on the dilemma by poinying out flaws on my s3 and flaws on my iPhone (I actually stated more faults about my Android than my iPhone ). Did I do something wrong? You almost make it sound like I did?

But to reply me directly, I have no idea I don't visit any Android forums :/

16. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

You got me completely wrong…. I didn't mean in anyway to make you feel you have done something wrong..

I would be very happy if you used the iOS and equally happy if you used Android - whatever rocks you boat, mate !!

I was simply wondering, if there is an equivalent of MACRUMORS forum for ANDROID/SAMSUNG users - and if the users in that forum were slating samsung/android - same as Apple users slate the iOS on Macrumors…

I totally understand if you want to use Android and/or iOS7, and my post to you was in no way intended to make you feel anything….

Apologies my dear Sir, if I have offended you, but I promise it was totally unintentional….

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

So as far as sharing to various apps, I think its been stated that a UNIVERSAL API does not exist and this is true.

HOWEVER

Many apps DO allow you to share to and from them, and in some cases its more intuitive. Dropbox for example has all the functionality on iOS that it does on Android (including background uploading). The share sheet in iOS 7 is also significantly larger than in iOS 6.

Moral of the story - even if you can't share the SAME way as on Android, you CAN share. Just might take learning a new method is all. If that's not worth it to you, don't switch.

Personally, I don't have any problem on either my GS4 or on my iPhone sharing. And because most of my family and friends have iPhones, its actually a lot easier to share via my iPhone because of Photo Streams, iMessage and now AirDrop.

18. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I am not sure I understand the problem. I have seen ever app options pop up when I try to open up a file. I get evernote, dropbox, ibooks, etc. Whatever app is capable of opening that file.

http://www.fyimobileware.com/faq/wp-content/uploads/ios-6-pdf-open-in1.png

or

http://ipadinsight.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iOS-6-Open-In.jpg

19. shadowlawless thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Not really a problem as such. I know you can share files on ios, it's just Android has a universal share button that allows you to share to/via any app really. Where as on io6 if you wanted to share a photo it was only via email Facebook or Twitter I think.

More of a convenience thing. Depending on how the z1 turns out I'll probably still switch back

----------

Oh right :/ my bad. I apologise and accept yours :)

What a civil forum