Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
I was looking at an article about prototype iPhones, and I came across this. It's the iOS 7 signal bars Jony Ive has envisioned them YEARS before they came out! Maybe Steve didn't like them thats why they were never used until now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ht_iphoneproto_5_kb_ss_120727_ssh.jpg
    ht_iphoneproto_5_kb_ss_120727_ssh.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,051
Last edited:

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I was looking at an article about prototype iPhones, and I came across this. It's the iOS 7 signal bars Jony Ive has envisioned them YEARS before they came out! Maybe Steve didn't like them thats why they were never sued until now.

I see a little box with a question mark in it...:confused:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I was looking at an article about prototype iPhones, and I came across this. It's the iOS 7 signal bars Jony Ive has envisioned them YEARS before they came out! Maybe Steve didn't like them thats why they were never sued until now.

Yes, maybe that's why they were never sued.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Agreed. I think they may be the worst part of iOS 7 for me (visually). There is an old jailbreak app that had the five dots but they were more compressed, kind of like the olympics logo. Much better. They just take up too much of the status bar as is.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
They remind me of a power meter. I know that there is a battery icon in the top right, but every time I see the signal status in iOS 7, I can't help but think power meter.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yea, I dislike the removal of bars.

Everyone talks about bars in regard to signal strength. Now we have dots. Grandmother types are going to be confused.

I just spend forever yesterday afternoon giving my 60 something yr old aunt a crash course on her new iPad.

Had to reset all her passwords for email, app store, facebook, because she can't keep any of them straight... She called me today, already had facebook password issues again...

I asked if she got my message about Flipboard app, and that she can respond to me using messages in the grene app. She said yes, she got it, but she couldn't figure out how to reply... in the Messages app...

These people I weep for when iOS7 comes out. She'll never find her photos app. omg... the phone calls I will have to suffer.

/rant

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Yea, I dislike the removal of bars.

Everyone talks about bars in regard to signal strength. Now we have dots. Grandmother types are going to be confused.

I just spend forever yesterday afternoon giving my 60 something yr old aunt a crash course on her new iPad.

Had to reset all her passwords for email, app store, facebook, because she can't keep any of them straight... She called me today, already had facebook password issues again...

I asked if she got my message about Flipboard app, and that she can respond to me using messages in the grene app. She said yes, she got it, but she couldn't figure out how to reply... in the Messages app...

These people I weep for when iOS7 comes out. She'll never find her photos app. omg... the phone calls I will have to suffer.

/rant

I feel your pain, all of my friends, family girlfriend and her whole family will be doing the same to me as well

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Talked to an apple repair guy (refuse to call them geniuses) and he saw my phone I was having a problem with was running iOS 7 and he said he is not looking forward to supporting it when it comes out. LOL I feel his pain though I think the OS looks great.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I cant believe the signal bars/dots is an actual topic.. Lol, as long as they're full i dont care if they are 5 unicorns

SHHHHHHhhhh Don't give Sir Ive any ideas.

We've already seen what he's done with the color scheme.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Based on the extreme success of Apple when Steve Jobs returned, I think "Steve doesn't like something" should still be considered a good reason to avoid it.

The dots look horrible, IMO. There was nothing wrong with the bars. Why change for change sake?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Based on the extreme success of Apple when Steve Jobs returned, I think "Steve doesn't like something" should still be considered a good reason to avoid it.

The dots look horrible, IMO. There was nothing wrong with the bars. Why change for change sake?

Shouldn't that be "Steve DIDN'T like something"?

I hope this doesn't come as a shock, but Steve is now in the past tense...so to speak.

I never cease to be amazed at what gets folks upset...dots vs bars!?:eek:

Really!?:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

How can dots look horrible? I don't see what the difference is between dots and bars other than everyone is used to bars.

As far as change for change sake, if the next iPhone comes out and aesthetically looks like the current iPhone I can guarantee you people will complain. Just like they complained that the 5 looked like the 4S which looked like the 4.

When Apple changes something and people don't like it, they complain about change for change sake, or change for purely aesthetic reasons. But yet when Apple doesn't change something then people complain that they're boring, not innovating, what have they been doing the past year, etc. :rolleyes:

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
They remind me of a power meter. I know that there is a battery icon in the top right, but every time I see the signal status in iOS 7, I can't help but think power meter.

Now that I saw your post, I cannot help but see how closely it resembles the power "dots" on the side of my MacBook Pro... :rolleyes:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Shouldn't that be "Steve DIDN'T like something"?

I hope this doesn't come as a shock, but Steve is now in the past tense...so to speak.

I never cease to be amazed at what gets folks upset...dots vs bars!?:eek:

Really!?:rolleyes:

I don't understand how you can spend your time on a forum discussing a company whose success, at least in part, stems from obsessing over the tiniest design details all the while not comprehending why others would do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.