iOS 7 Signal Bars Origin!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chumawumba, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chumawumba, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

I was looking at an article about prototype iPhones, and I came across this. It's the iOS 7 signal bars Jony Ive has envisioned them YEARS before they came out! Maybe Steve didn't like them thats why they were never used until now.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

I see a little box with a question mark in it...:confused:

3. chumawumba thread starter macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Sorry

Attached Files:

4. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Should of gone no further then the prototype..

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Agreed.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Yes, maybe that's why they were never sued.

7. chumawumba thread starter macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Sorry, typo

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Agreed. I think they may be the worst part of iOS 7 for me (visually). There is an old jailbreak app that had the five dots but they were more compressed, kind of like the olympics logo. Much better. They just take up too much of the status bar as is.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

really the only part of iOS 7 that I dislike are the signal bars.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

No prob, I was just teasing.

I agree with the other posters. The signal bars take up to much of the status bar now.

11. Beelzbub macrumors regular

They remind me of a power meter. I know that there is a battery icon in the top right, but every time I see the signal status in iOS 7, I can't help but think power meter.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yea, I dislike the removal of bars.

Everyone talks about bars in regard to signal strength. Now we have dots. Grandmother types are going to be confused.

I just spend forever yesterday afternoon giving my 60 something yr old aunt a crash course on her new iPad.

Had to reset all her passwords for email, app store, facebook, because she can't keep any of them straight... She called me today, already had facebook password issues again...

I asked if she got my message about Flipboard app, and that she can respond to me using messages in the grene app. She said yes, she got it, but she couldn't figure out how to reply... in the Messages app...

These people I weep for when iOS7 comes out. She'll never find her photos app. omg... the phone calls I will have to suffer.

/rant

13. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain, all of my friends, family girlfriend and her whole family will be doing the same to me as well

14. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Talked to an apple repair guy (refuse to call them geniuses) and he saw my phone I was having a problem with was running iOS 7 and he said he is not looking forward to supporting it when it comes out. LOL I feel his pain though I think the OS looks great.

15. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't care what they look like, I just want a better signal.

17. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

I cant believe the signal bars/dots is an actual topic.. Lol, as long as they're full i dont care if they are 5 unicorns

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

SHHHHHHhhhh Don't give Sir Ive any ideas.

We've already seen what he's done with the color scheme.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Based on the extreme success of Apple when Steve Jobs returned, I think "Steve doesn't like something" should still be considered a good reason to avoid it.

The dots look horrible, IMO. There was nothing wrong with the bars. Why change for change sake?

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I remember the controversy behind the signal bars with the iphone and AT&T back in the day.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Shouldn't that be "Steve DIDN'T like something"?

I hope this doesn't come as a shock, but Steve is now in the past tense...so to speak.

I never cease to be amazed at what gets folks upset...dots vs bars!?:eek:

Really!?:rolleyes:

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How can dots look horrible? I don't see what the difference is between dots and bars other than everyone is used to bars.

As far as change for change sake, if the next iPhone comes out and aesthetically looks like the current iPhone I can guarantee you people will complain. Just like they complained that the 5 looked like the 4S which looked like the 4.

When Apple changes something and people don't like it, they complain about change for change sake, or change for purely aesthetic reasons. But yet when Apple doesn't change something then people complain that they're boring, not innovating, what have they been doing the past year, etc. :rolleyes:

24. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Now that I saw your post, I cannot help but see how closely it resembles the power "dots" on the side of my MacBook Pro... :rolleyes:

25. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how you can spend your time on a forum discussing a company whose success, at least in part, stems from obsessing over the tiniest design details all the while not comprehending why others would do the same.