iPhone iOS 7 status bar flaw

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jonnyb098, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Just thought I'd pass along another potential issue another current designer/dev is saying about the iOS 7 status bar blending into the content area. Once again this echos the over feeling many in the developer community that the feel of the new OS is great but the look has much to be desired in areas. Quote below from designer of Vesper.

"iOS 7 unifies the status bar and navigation bar, with mixed results. There are no longer any lines or markings of any kind between the status bar (carrier, time, battery status), and an app’s navigation control buttons. This new area is a collection of unrelated items occupying a single space. A jumbled, confusing mess that will lead to third-party apps looking terrible and users wondering what the hell is going on."

"What makes this so infuriating is that the status bar was a solved problem. The black bar at the top is hardware at best, and OS information at worst. Now Apple has taken an OS-level design problem and made it an app-level design problem. As a designer, I now need to account for the visual weight of these items, and they’re completely beyond my control."

Link to the whole article. http://betterelevation.com/2013/07/22/current-status/

Please read and make thoughtful comments/arguments. Ill save all the "its a BETA" people the time by stating this is the time to discuss it, not after release to millions and its a potential mess. The BETA process is all about making things better.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

...through Apple's Developer website as a registered developer while using the developer forum that Apple has provided, not complaining on a 3rd party forum or blog from people who decided to download the beta from a torrent site who then only complain about UI dislikes while never actually contributing to the beta process.

Its cute though that you think your opinion matters to Apple here on the MacRumors forum, and its cute that you believe that things will dramatically change because a small amount of vocal people say so.

3. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Thank you for that, well put.

I personally love the new look of "no" status bar.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

First world problems, right? :rolleyes:

Any yahoo that wants to go back to the black status bar or old lock screen because they think the new way will be confusing for users needs to just get out of development. Seriously...I don't want to use anything that moron is pushing. What it tells me is that he thinks users, as a whole, are stupid and can't adapt to new things. That's not the type of person I want developing for the platform. Why? Because he has no sense of design, that's why.

Personally, I love the new lock screen and clear status bar. It's the way it should be, in my opinion. Clean, clear, and beautiful.

5. jonnyb098 thread starter macrumors 68020

Im just quoting the article. If you read the article thats exactly what this developer did. So yes he is making an impact through official methods. I find it cute you find me cute. :p

Context is very important.

6. ominx macrumors 6502

Agree!

Even in this rant the author says "I worry that we’re going to see third-party developers take one of two paths: Lazily carry over their colored navigation bars and look terrible, or fall back to Apple’s example of white navigation bars and end up looking generic."

So he's saying he wants Apple to make it easy for lazy Devs to be non-generic. :rolleyes:

7. AngerDanger, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Ahhh, romance is in the air here on MacRumors! [​IMG]

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Discussion forums wouldn't be very interesting if everyone conformed and had the same opinions. That article was articulate and expressed the thoughts and concerns of the developer deftly. So you don't agree...acting dismissive and elitist does nothing for anyone.

I find it cute that you think you can speak for everyone at Apple and MacRumors.

9. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Agreed, no wonder so many have left and stopped contributing here with people like that who berate anyone who doesn't just gush over iOS 7. You'd think the mods would stop this sort of thing.