iOS 7 subsidy unlock without restore?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by VTECaddict, Oct 21, 2013.

1. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

My contract just ended so I requested for my 4S to be unlocked from AT&T, which was just approved.

Normally when you put in the wrong SIM in a locked iPhone it says "Invalid SIM", and in order for the unlock to take place you have to erase and restore the phone.

I popped in a T-Mobile SIM without restoring first just to see what would happen. It said "Searching..." in the upper left for a bit, then it showed the Apple boot screen and restarted. After that it showed "T-Mobile 4G".

Maybe with iOS 7 they let the phone get unlocked without restoring first? If so that's great since the whole erasing and restoring was a major pain in the butt, especially for people who are just switching carriers and not giving/selling the phone.

Anyone else confirm? I don't think this was mentioned anywhere.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

When I previously unlocked a phone I didn't have to restore it. Where did you get that from?

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Restoring to attach an IMEI unlock has not been necessary for some time.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It was some bizarre requirement when AT&T started offering official unlocks for their iPhones.

In other countries, it wasn't ever needed.

5. benguild macrumors 6502a

I usually just put a foreign SIM card in and it prompts + activates the unlocked status over Wi-Fi.