iOS 7 themes mockups of OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joejoejoe, Jul 16, 2013.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I think it's pretty safe to assume that OS X will soon undergo an overhaul to match the design direction of iOS 7.

Perhaps their waiting to refine iOS 7 more before bringing the elements to a notebook or desktop, and surely the OS X team was diluted to bring more muscle to finish iOS 7 in time. Once the full team is back things could start going into faster development.

Are there any mockups you all have seen of what an iOS 7 inspired OS X would look like?

There's always the possibility that Apple will abandon the OS X naming scheme after 10 iterations, and create a powerful iOS to run all their computing systems. iOS 8? iOS 9?

Regardless I'm curious to see what such a mockup would look like. I imagine it'd be pretty damn clean.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, the two will remain distinct. They said in the keynote they wanted to find a new naming scheme to last them another ten years (California places.) OS X will be around for a while.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced the iOS 7 look will ever come to OS X. We got an entirely new dock (the side one) in Mavericks, and it looks nothing like iOS 7's. I could see small things like the (bad) icons being unified. iOS has remained visually distinct from OS X since 1.0. But we'll see.

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Not entirely. The glass doc, all the skeumorphism (calendar, contacts app), the linen background in notification center.. everything was slowly becoming homogenous (which is a good thing).

Mavericks shows a backpedaling towards older iterations of OSX that didn't have skeumorphism, and some new design choices. Certain things will remain distinct of course, things have to look different when with one device your input is the tip pixel of an arrow, and in the other it's a finger. Screen size makes a huge difference as well, as does the ability to have multiple windows open on the same screen.

It might take some time before Apple makes the jump. I'm sure the big fear is alienating users before we're all accustomed to and love the new direction of iOS.

Of course, time will tell.