Ios 7 underclock

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Tallan125, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Tallan125 macrumors newbie

Hey I know the ios 7 jailbreak just came out but I'm curious if you can under clock Iphone to receive more battery life out of the iPhone five or 5S is this possible?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm pretty sure the iPhone processor doesn't run at full speed at all times (If it did your phone would always be hot). It probably scales up and down automatically depending on cpu load to save battery. I wouldn't mess with it.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

Best to get a battery-case or one of those portable USB battery chargers.

I was surprised at how well some of the battery cases work and feel.

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Correct. The processor is almost never running at full speed. Only on the most intensive games and such. Idling it runs around 100MHz to save battery.

5. Tallan125 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured as much but the speed the processor has I don't think it needs to ramp up... My battery life is horrible and I was curios if an underclock would help preserve the battery life of the phone. ... Dang 5s lol

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try what we tell other users to do with bad battery life . Reset all settings, network settings. If that doesn't work restore the phone as NEW and reinstall all your apps. DONT restore from backup.

7. cynics macrumors G3

Battery life won't have too much if any impact by underclocking. Time to idle will be increased negating most of the savings. Basically you decrease power consumption but increase duration of run time.

Undervolting can save some battery however. Go as low as you can until the device loses stability then step it up a bit. A lot of processors come generically set at a certain voltage which is determined to be stable but leaves A LOT of margin for error as each chip will be slightly different then the next.

I've done that with Android devices with pretty good success (especially the Tegra line) however I never got into the JB community so I don't know if that's possible on an iOS device.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If your battery life is that bad, you might want to figure out why. My 5S battery lasts all day and then some consistently.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The iPhone 5S and mostly all phones are shipped under-clocked CPU that what the true potential. There is no way Jailbreak or no jailbreak to over-clock or under clock an iPhone's CPU. (trust me, i've tried). Android phones however have that ability. I have the Galaxy Note II, which on paper comes with a Quad-Core 1.6 GHz. I can root my phone and over clock it to Quad-Core 1.9Ghz. The batter will obviously drop significantly. Another key factor is that the battery on the iPhone is horrible to begin with. The iPhone 5S has a 1500mAh battery which speaks for itself. its 2014. All Smartphones have batteries at minimum 2500mAh to maximum as 4000mAh. I owned the iPhone 5 before getting the Note II and i would be charging my iPhone within hours.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

How is that the "horrible" battery in the 5S lasts as long if not longer than the larger batteries in the S4 and Note II? get your facts together please before you go bragging about Android phones.

Also, everyone is quite aware of setCPU that let's you tweak the cpu speed on Android phones ASSUMING the kernel you have running supports cpu governor types.