iOS 7 - Why there are only two dynamic wallpapers

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

Apple has a long history of eliminating customization features within its operating systems:

1991 - Mac OS 7 (System 7) is released under Apple CEO John Sculley. The first Mac OS to support color, 7 allowed users to customize font highlight color, as well as window/scrollbar tint color. These features went largely unchanged through Systems 8 and 9.

1999 - Mac OS X (OS 10) is first major OS release under re-installed CEO and founder Steve Jobs. This time, no more window/scrollbar customization. All you get is cerulean blue or graphite. Jobs will no longer let a user's bad taste influence the perception of his products.

2007 - OS X Leopard eliminates the blue menubar Apple logo from the 'Blue' theme option. Graphite Apple-only now.

2013 - There is basically only one dynamic background pre-loaded into iOS 7. The bright one is meant for the lock screen, with no icons or UI elements to clash with. This is the ideal. Jony Ive intended it to scream "this is iOS 7!". The muted version is for the home screen, somewhat neutralized because it must actually function as a background. Although I strongly suspect Jony has the bright one on both screens.

2. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

personally i think we'll see a wallpapers section of the app store when iOS 7 launches

3. dejo, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

We never had dynamic wallpaper in iOS until 7. How is that "eliminating customization"?

P.S. I think your little history is picking-and-choosing quite heavily to make your point.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Lets hope so!

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Man, I would love that so much… imagine if they opened up the SDK to allow timer APIs, so developers could make wallpapers that respond to your local time. What if it could take advantage of push data and display high-res images conveying the current weather? I'm just so excited about this for some reason! :D

…Or what if Apple includes, like, two more wallpapers and that's it until iOS 8? Eh.

6. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

What I'm saying is, in the words of Henry Ford, regarding the Model T "you can have it in any color you like, as long as it's black". I think that's pretty obvious, though. Check this out:
    http://www.supercars.net/cars/3584.html

----------

Wallpapers or Dynamic Wallpapers? Dynamic Wallpapers in the app store would require an API, which Apple has not released. Note, we are on beta 5.

7. Appledict macrumors member

Appledict

I think Apple should add more dynamic's until final release. Only two in final? like a bad joke.:(

8. Fondaparinux macrumors member

Because its still in beta and wallpapers is not a pressing issue.

No need for the brief history of Apple's customization, though. :p

9. waa1futs macrumors 6502

That's way way WAY too much customization for users for Apple to allow.

10. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

This may be totally wishful thinking but I've been hoping that anyone (with the right skills of course) would be able to create and share their own dynamic wallpapers to use. It seems like everyone is of the opinion that that is not the case, which is very sad.

Fresh Pie...why'd you have to go and suggest something like that (opened up SDK/timer APIs)?!?!? Now you've fed my imagination more and I want that too!!!

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm assuming this is an old thread because in iOS 7 GM there are 7 dynamic wallpapers. It's all the same floating bubbles but they come in different colors to accommodate the iPhone 5C colors imo.