iPhone iOS 7 works with aftermarket head unit :)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iphonehype, Jun 11, 2013.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Good news!!

iOS 7 installed on my iPhone 5 works fine with my after market head unit. iTunes Match also works flawlessly unlike iOS 6!

Have a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit!

Hope this helps people out there!

2. Krevnik, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

In what way do you mean it works? You mean the normal integration iPods and iPhones have had for years? Siri integration? The MirrorLink/AppRadio like connection? Your statement is vague.

3. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Pictures Please :D

To me this was the most exciting feature

4. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

This also important to me. I have an Alpine CDE-HD149BT and have tested bluetooth, iTunes Radio and Pandora as well as iPod and all work perfect.
    I can even control iTunes radio via stereo control.

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I don't think it has anything to do with the new "iOS integration" feature which is similar to what AppRadio provides. Neither model listed in this thread supports anything like it.

From what I can tell:
    - Existing car integration is still what it is. Genius mixes are listed as playlists to cars with 'iPod integration'.
    - The new 'iOS integration' is a competitor to both what Pioneer uses for AppRadio and MirrorLink. My head unit (Sony XAV-701HD) supports MirrorLink, but can't talk to iOS 7... so I believe that this feature relies on proprietary protocols, meaning if you want that level of integration, nothing out there today will support this new stuff.

6. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I was thinking something like that too. But could it be possible that Apple simply pushes its own interface to the system? So if the system does support something like Mirroring, the iPhone pushes this 'car interface' instead of just a mirror?

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Pretty much. AppRadio works by having the device send a "display" over Video Out (which can be different than the device's display), and it sends touch events back over USB.

MirrorLink is a bit nicer as it does both the video and touch events over USB. But right now the only non-Symbian devices that support it are the Galaxy S3 and S4. It can be a mirrored display, but it doesn't have to.

Apple seems to be doing something similar to MirrorLink, but not MirrorLink. So it handles video and touch over USB, but it isn't using the same protocol as MirrorLink does. Which is a shame, as MirrorLink would mean that existing head units like mine would already be out there and ready to go.

8. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Sucks, I dont wanna wait till next year to see this happen. I personally think this concept is quiet neat. I am surprised they did not spend more time with it.

I guess what the above posters were referring to was the steering wheel controls working with the iphone?

9. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Wonder when we will see an Apple head unit for cars...I am sure they could figure out a way to modify AirPlay to allow the head unit to display what is on the iPhone as well as send feedback to the phone from the head unit. I have been waiting for a good iPhone head unit with a big touch screen for a while now, but haven't found anything I am 100% happy with.

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Which isn't terribly new either. 'iPod Out' was announced in 2005, prior to the iPhone. The iPhone added Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP support, but those have been around for years now too.

The good news here is that iOS 7 doesn't break existing car integration options. It doesn't seem to add anything new for existing head units either.

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

This was also the most exciting feature from iOS 7. Car integration. Now it's up to Pioneer/Alpine, etc to make a nice double din that works with it. I have the Pioneer AppRadio 2 installed and love it/hate it. I don't use the AppRadio App since all it does is use the Video Out feature on my iPhone. So if I launch iHeartRadio Car App and click on App icon it loads fine.

I've been waiting for a Headunit that basically takes over your iPhone and allows you to use it via the Headunit. I think MirrorLink and whatever Apple has done will do this. I think Apple will do it better once they have aftermarket support. Whether that support is factory integration as Apple suggested or true aftermarket support directly from Alpine, etc I just want my iPhone functionality on my car's display. Phone, Music/Video, Maps, Siri, etc.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

was wondering the exact same thing. I don't care so much what's COMING in new vehicles... I care about what I can retrofit into my OLD car(s)

13. robertbooth macrumors newbie

Yeah it does i was worried when I updated I thought I had to pull my Ipod classic out. But the Itunes match works like a charm. I am using an
    Avic-z140bh

14. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

Im talking iPod Music App integration from the iPhone. Previously with iOS 6, some users out there have major issues with this. With ios 6 release some headunits where simply not working with it.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It will take some time to get used to. I am also coming to the realization that we are moving away from the Jobs/Forstall era. It kind of sucks.

That said, most of my android friends seem to like the new iOS. One even said he was going to get an iPhone in July for his next upgrade because he liked the look of iOS 7 so much. Me, well, I am still adjusting..