iOS 8.0.2 and Time capsule

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by russ2m, Oct 14, 2014.

1. russ2m macrumors newbie

So, I'm pretty sure over the last x number of years this has been asked one way or another but I have sat here for a good few hours now and I can make this work

I want to access my Timecapsule (7.7.3) content from my 8.0.2 iPad mini via the internet.

I have downloaded the top rated apps, File browser etc, which work great when accessing the stuff at home, but wont connect remotely. I have set up back to mac on my macbook pro to see if that helps, but again no dice.

I have followed every tutorial going on how to set up the capsule and a stumbling block is when i hit 'Double Nats" and have no choice but to turn the time capsule into bridge mode as the capsule shows "amber" status otherwise

Im pulling my hair out and I didn't have much to start with - surely there has to be a simple way of achieving this? either accessing my mac remotely or the time capsule directly. Im not exactly what you would call technical so can anyone hold my hand though how to make this work?

Im in the UK, connected to Bt internet with a Bt router, the 2tb time capsule is then connected directly to that.

any bright ideas?? :)

2. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Firstly,
    You need to set up port forwarding to your Time Machine.
    Open port 548 (AFP) to the ip address of your time machine.

Once thats all set up, download ifiles on your iOS device.

http://www.ifilesapp.com

Add an AFP connection, giving it your Public IP Address, username and password you set up on your time machine.

Once you have that, connect up, and you have access to your users space on time machine.

3. russ2m thread starter macrumors newbie

small steps

ok, so a little bit of progress, worked out on the home hub how to add the port forwarding,

what this has done is actually made my time capsule show up on my macbook shared finder page when connected to a different network (which it didn't before), however if i try to connect it comes back with connection failed and tells me to check IP address etc

i then downloaded Ifiles onto my iPad, but this seem to only give access to local files?

I also (sounding thick) don't really understand the steps needed on which devices to

"Add an AFP connection, giving it your Public IP Address, username and password you set up on your time machine.

Once you have that, connect up, and you have access to your users space on time machine."