Ios 8.0.2 on iPhone 5s...terrible...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by adammusic, Sep 30, 2014.

1. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

Ever since ios 8, my 5s has been super slow & glitchy. Both of wifi & att lte. I get errors on apps like "unable to connect to network" on lte. On wifi , everything takes long to load, freezes, and is generally slow. I have to close out apps to get them to work again. Ios 7 had no problems, my phone was essentially perfect. Should i go back to ios 7 in the meantime? I dont really want to wait another month for 8.1 when i cant be sure they address these issues, as they werent addressed in 8.0.2. Or anybody know any fixes?

2. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

You have no option to go back to 7.1.2 as Apple has stopped signing the restore firmwares.
    Your only option is to wait for bugs to be fixed in future updates.

3. FotoDirk macrumors member

My 5S works like a charm under 8.0.2.
    At this moment you cannot revert to iOS7 any longer.

So the best solution will be to couple your iPhone with iTunes and use the repair option there. The advantage from installing via iTunes is that the phone can be completely wiped clean. Of course you need to have a backup in iCloud or via iTunes to reinstall all your apps/settings...

Before reinstalling you can try a reboot of course. That is using the top power button to switch the phone off and on again. That might improve the situation as well.

4. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

Also Siri is 100x's worse than in ios 7. Basically useless and with the new real time dictation it completely lags and is always wrong. Anyone experience that?

5. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

6. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

So i should restore from backup?

----------

or restore iPhone then restore from backup?

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

After I put my 5s on the iOS 8 GM it was a bit flakey, so I reset the network settings (which also reboots the phone when it does this) and after that everything was fine. Its been since since and is now on 8.0.2

----------

If your data connection is crapping out then this will cause issues with Siri.

8. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

I reset network settings and siri never used to crap out this bad. I just restored my phone and it looks like there was a carrier update that I didn't get before. Maybe that will help. Either way i restored and hopefully it fixes some of the bugs.

----------

oh great. backup i just made was corrupt.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Restoring from backup is completely pointless because all that is doing is restoring all the junk and possibly corrupt files you already had on your device.

I restored my 5s and set it up as new on iOS 8 launch day and it has been running like a dream since.

10. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

I restored from icloud backup. I dont save messages so thats all i lost.

11. Act3 macrumors 65816

Its even more terrible when you upgrade to 8.0.2 and your year old 5s runs slower and buggier than the 3 other iPhone 5's that rest of the household still run on 7.1.2

I'm really regretting updating my iOS on my phone. Sticking with 7.1.2 on my iPad 4. I was looking forward to a new iPad this year but am going to hold off now until the bugs are ironed out with iOS 8

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Wifi random drops seem to have been fixed on my 5s. Will have to monitor the battery.

13. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. I've experienced none of those issues on my 5s. Only minor lagging on iOS 8.0 that 8.0.2 fixed.

Just as a general practice, I restore to factory settings before installing any major iOS upgrade and always do the minor interval updates using iTunes so that the full update package gets installed rather than just the delta update used OTA. After restoring to factory settings, I restore my files from backup. Always using a wired connection to iTunes, never OTA.

When you mention iOS 7 as "essentially perfect" I hope you're not referring to version 7.0. Look up "white screen of death" if you want a primer on that.

14. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

15. Jeepman88 macrumors member

Only problem I'm seeming to have 8.0.2 is my Mail doesn't seem to be working. Won't send or receive for some reason. Not sure what to do to fix it either. Any ideas anyone?