iPhone iOS 8.0 or 8.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by atiffarooq, Oct 25, 2014.

1. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I was lucky enough to be able to reserve and collect and iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb last Sunday from my local Apple store. Since then I've been using iOS 8.0 as that's what the phone came with.

Is it worth updating to 8.1, or shall I wait until they've ironed out any issues with that version? 8.0 seems to be working well for me and I don't want to update if I might find issues, but understand that there may be some bug fixes that I may benefit from (although I haven't experienced any yet).

Just after a general consensus on the experiences of others out there.

TIA.

2. jayf macrumors member

It costs Apple big money to develop and distribute an update, so they don't do it just for fun. IMHO updates are developed to fix bugs and known issues and provide a better user experience.

3. LV426 macrumors 6502a

8.1 fixes a lot of issues with 8.0, and adds new features like SMS relay, as well as tightening up on security vulnerabilities.

It's worth the upgrade, in my opinion.

Apparently, 8.2 and 8.3 are being tested now!

4. atiffarooq thread starter macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I would have definitely have updated to 8.1 if it had fixed the bluetooth issues with the device connecting to my in car system (hopefully this will now be fixed in 8.2!).

I may update to 8.1 in the meantime then, especially if it tightens up any security issues.

5. newellj macrumors 601

8.0 ran great on my two iPhone 6s. I hesitated to update to 8.1 but it's working with no issues and the added functions are worth it.

6. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

If you spend a lot of time here, no wonder you're afraid to update. These are real issues that members post on here, but you have to go through the questions and see if they pertain to you.

From the posts on here, many problems are updates to an older phone. My new iPhone 6 4.7 128 GB needed this update. Photos wouldn't rotate and a few more were fixed with 8.1. Another thing, Apple's fix is to start from scratch and that's an easy way out for them. Look up questions and answers for your problems here.

There are many members on here that should work for Apple, because they are smarter than Apple's reps. I'm not in their league, though I learned a lot from them. Good luck.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

A big feature of the iPhone 6 is ApplePay which only works on 8.1.

8. atiffarooq thread starter macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

That doesn't appeal to me because I'm from the UK and it's not in operation here yet (and probably won't be until some point late next year).

The biggest appeal so far is the security patches.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Why don't you go look at the release notes of 8.1 then decide :)

I've been on 8.1 since release and it appears to be ok for me.

10. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

Is there anyone else with an iPhone 6 still on IOS 8.0.2?

If like, me you are and you've got the red notification badge on your settings icon, look at it closely for about 20 seconds, does anyone else's badge change from a red 1 to "Update....... you know you want to....."

11. newellj macrumors 601

New here but I've been using iOS devices since iOS 1 so my hesitation had nothing to do with posts here or anywhere else on the Internet. :rolleyes: