iPad iOS 8.02 Doesn't Apple test their iOS before releasing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by loby, Sep 28, 2014.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Why does Apple state that a new iOS works on a product that is older, when it runs slower after upgrading? When I upgraded my iPad 3 to the latest iOS upgrade 8.02, the iPad runs slower, especially using Safari.

I compared it with my other iPad 3 that I did not upgrade and the older iOS works great and faster.

Why doesn't Apple say this so we don't upgrade? The only reason why I upgraded is so I can use the family plan option and the iCloud.

There was nothing wrong with my iPad 3. The step-child or Bas@@d child in the line-up still worked fine with a decent screen viewing and decent battery life.

What happen to "the best" for our customers....

:(:apple:

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Lesson to be learned..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My iPad 3 is still on iOS 5 for several reasons and it's super quick. My iPad 2 was upgraded to iOS 7 and lesson learned. My Air is still on iOS 7 as well as i'm not pleased with some of the Safari choices that were implemented in iOS 8 as well as bugs and performance issues.

3. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I purposely skip iOS 8.0.1 thinking that they would fix more issues when iOS 8.0.2 came out. I waited when iOS 8.0 came out thinking that it would of course be slow. I gambled and lost...

When iOS 7 came out, I did the same thing and waited for two releases and my iPad 3 seemed to work well. Since the iPad 3 was not "technically" the bottom of the totem poll, I thought upgrading would be ok...

I thought wrong of course and should not trust Apple anymore....

What happen to Apple...they were not like this always....

Making you upgrade after they say that it works, but not...... :(:apple:

4. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i had same issues and promptly downgraded back to 7.1.2 but now its no longer signed so you are SOL on that..

this being said, some people on another thread have said that they did a clean install of ios8 on ipad3 and for them it runs well...

if i were in your situation, i'd look into doing a clean install... though it may be a PITA, it may be less of a PITA than using your iPad as it is...

in either case, my sympathies mate.

5. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Because it technically can support that version. And if it supports it poorly, it's more likely to frustrate you into buying a newer hardware. Both ways are a win for Apple, so they do not care at all about putting any effort into optimizing for old hardware.

6. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try doing a fresh install and see if it improves performance.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Please report back.

Thanks.

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

It's a lot more simple than this conspiracy theory that people keep throwing out there.

The iPad 3 is older hardware, and it was already pretty taxed when it came out due to the Retina display. It had the exact same CPU as the iPad 2, with a GPU that was twice as powerful. Which sounds good, until you realize that the Retina display has four times the amount of pixels as the iPad 2 has. So the GPU is half as powerful as it needed be. iOS is a GPU-heavy OS, so it's slow on the iPad 3.

So why did they release iOS 8 for it? Imagine the complaining when the iPad 2 got iOS 8 and the iPad 3 didn't. The exact same people that are complaining about iOS 8 being slow would be complaining about their iPad not getting the update.

I just don't think it would be possible for the iPad 3 to run iOS 8 well without a significant re-engineering of iOS. Which would take resources away from things like fixing bugs.

The iPad 3, even though it's the third iPad, was really a first generation device. Apple did the best they could with the GPU at the time, but it still wasn't enough. That's why the iPad 4 came out later in the same year- the hardware to drive the device well was finally there.

9. redheffer macrumors newbie

I'm on a 3 as well and a fresh install has always been the way to go. Even when iOS 7 was released my iPad slowed down quite a bit after doing an OTA update. Once I did a fresh install, performance was exponentially better. I basically had the same experience with iOS 8. 8.0 was actually still slightly sluggish after a clean install, but for me the update to 8.0.2 has helped quite a bit. I definitely noticed Safari was performing better.

10. Jayson A macrumors 68000

People would be pissed if they couldn't install iOS 8 on a year-old device (yes, my iPad mini 1 is only a year old) and then again, people are pissed that it runs slowly... well, it's not exactly a fast device anymore.

You know what's funny... my iPhone 4 ran just as fast as my iPhone 6 when it first came out.

Each iPhone, when it's new, runs just as fast as the previous iPhones (when they're new)... the changing factor here is that OS gets beefier and beefier and requires better hardware to keep it going smoothly, but the older hardware just can't keep up.

11. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

iOS 5 is very broke, it's missing several years of critical security updates. Use at your own risk.

12. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

Did the clean install help? 8.02 is driving me crazy on my 3.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Safari on iPad Air stops functioning and is slow, I switch to my dolphin browser and it works perfectly and fast...

14. loby, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I did a "Reset" on the iPad 3 to see if it would help and it did, but Safari is still buggy and slow on load up. I compared it with my other iPad 3 and safari runs quicker on IOS 7.12.

It works better and I would suggest everyone who has decided to upgrade to IOS 8.02 (again with caution) to download it and install it, BUT afterwards do a complete reset of the system and download everything again fresh.

Be careful to backup your iPad first, for this was my wife's iPad and she would not let me wipe out the system because she had a years worth of "Candy Crush" levels to 100 on it and she did not want me to lose all of her levels. I had to convince her that i could save her levels and used "idisk" to get the data and copy it back in the app after downloading the app from the Apple Store.

Again, IF you are going to update to iOS 8.02, then do what i recommended above and it works well, except just a little lag with Safari.

FYI...I will take the advice from one of the members that wrote earlier on this thread discussing the iPad 3 as "old hardware" and WILL NOT update my other iPad 3 until maybe a few other future updates.

Currently, I will stick with iOS 7.12 for my other iPad 3 until future updates.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Weird, I have an iPad 2, using 8.02 and it works great. If anything it's just a little faster than before. I'm very happy with the upgrade. Your mileage may vary.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Mileage around here for this stuff varies a LOT. Anywhere from 1 mile per gallon to 50 miles per gallon depending on who you ask. :D

I'm just shocked at the different experiences so many different people have with this stuff. Doesn't make sense.

17. Ti Rider macrumors member

It is interesting reading different peoples experiences with iOS 8 and it's updates on older iPads. iOS 8 made my iPad 2 almost unusable. Extremely slow, glitchy, with frequent crashes. I struggled with it for a few days then rolled back to 7.1.2. This returned my 2's speed and stability. All the iOS 7 backups on my PC were gone after the update to 8 so it was like starting over but even with that it was worth it.

18. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'll add this data point. About a month before OS 8 came out, my iPad 2 was running pretty slow, apps were crashing and it was generally misbehaving. I restored "as new" and it was like having a brand new iPad. Noticeably faster and more stable in every way.

19. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

One factor is the user's perception. My iPhone 4S and iPad 3 runs fine in iOS 8.x. My wife thinks it slower (due to animation and transitions effects).

I can't deny that launching SOME Apps. is definitely slower, and Safari is much buggier than 7.x. Overall it works fine for me and I live on my iPad. I do expect it will get some performance enhancements with maturity, since iPad Air users have the same complaints, as do iPhone6 users. It's iOS that has the issue, not the hardware (IMO).

20. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

So, you don't want Apple to keep innovating by making better products? You will always find a performance hit on every older product with every upgraded software version. This is not an Apple problem. It's a technology problem. It's time to learn to accept evolution. If you don't want the speed hit, don't upgrade to the latest software version. If you want the new features and benefits, you'll learn to accept the speed hit. Problem solved!

----------

It's really all about attitude and perception.

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

22. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

That's exactly what you'd have to do.... imagine. Because I highly doubt anyone would genuinely complain about protecting the performance of their device.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

But that's not the way a lot of people around here see it. They're not going to view it from the perspective of, "Well, at least my device won't get any slower". It would be something more like, "I paid $700 for this piece of junk two years ago, and Crapple just wants me to throw it away and get a new one! My next tablet is definitely gonna be Android, thanks for nothing Jony Ive. This would have never happened if Steve Jobs were still alive!"

Which is basically a slightly more potent version of what people are already saying about iOS 8 on the iPad 3. The grass is always greener on the other side, I suppose.

24. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

There are always some generation of iOS devices that can't install the latest and greatest. How are those people handling the situation?

How many people are complaining that their iPhone 4 can't update to iOS 8?

The mythological disgruntled customer is the reason given to justify Apple's liberal upgrade window.

When the fact is raised that it is a one-way street and downgrading is not permitted, the response is then, "well it's too complicated for Apple to allow that" or "it would create confusion".

This situation is aggravated by security bug fixes that require users to upgrade to the latest version of iOS available for that device.... even when Apple has released fixes for previous versions of iOS.

For example: I've kept my iPhone 4 at iOS 5.1.1. Performance was stellar, battery life insane. When the SSL bug fix was released, there was an update for iOS 5, iOS6, and iOS7. Apple did not allow an iPhone 4 running iOS 5 to upgrade to the latest version of iOS 5 (the version with the fix)... upgrading to iOS 7 was the only option.

25. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's interesting because all the links I have pulled up shows iOS 5.1.1 did not have the SSL bug. :confused:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-ssl-security-bug-that-got-patched-on-ios-6-7