Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Software updates won't fix a hardware issue.

Hardware issue? There is no hardware issue at all, its all software, because the same spots that lag on the Plus, also lag on the 6 too. The GX6450 is beyond capable of running the UI smoothly at 60 fps at the resolutions both phones run at

I have Reduce Motion on and also Reduce Transparency and I very rarely experience lag on my Plus, I know some people wont do and turn those settings on but it works for me and I do prefer the Reduce Motion animation over the stock zoomy application

And I also prefer the nice dark black notification center that comes with Reduce Transparency

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Hardware issue? There is no hardware issue at all, its all software, because the same spots that lag on the Plus, also lag on the 6 too. The GX6450 is beyond capable of running the UI smoothly at 60 fps at the resolutions both phones run at

I have Reduce Motion on and also Reduce Transparency and I very rarely experience lag on my Plus, I know some people wont do and turn those settings on but it works for me and I do prefer the Reduce Motion animation over the stock zoomy application

And I also prefer the nice dark black notification center that comes with Reduce Transparency

My wife's 6 doesn't lag nearly as often as my 6+. I think there are numerous software issues even in iOS 8.1.1. I can see the OS do its final scaling when switching to some apps. This happens commonly in iMessage.

Also, it appears the scaling doesn't work quite right. Sometimes alignment is just a little bit off. This would be funny if I didn't own a 6+.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
My wife's 6 doesn't lag nearly as often as my 6+. I think there are numerous software issues even in iOS 8.1.1. I can see the OS do its final scaling when switching to some apps. This happens commonly in iMessage.

Also, it appears the scaling doesn't work quite right. Sometimes alignment is just a little bit off. This would be funny if I didn't own a 6+.

Rememeber alot of applications from the App Store still havent been updated and recompiled for iOS 8 and the new iPhones, so they could be taking up precious excess RAM/App not as efficient or stable as it should or can be etc...as a whole you will see more system wide performance improvements and less apps crashing and overall better system performance as apps start to get updated to iOS 8 and also the new iPhones (crash rate is down like now 35% of applications since iOS 8 came out, due to app updates starting to slowly come out now)

Me personally, with Reduce Motion on and Reduce Transparency, my Plus is buttery smooth 98% of the time, the only lag I may ever experience is maybe sometimes when im rotating my phone, some apps do have a little laggy stutter when rotating but thats really about it for me, and its really just a bunch of applications still not being updated for iOS 8 and the new iPhones so

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I also believe its a software issue coupled with unoptimized apps. The hardware is way superior to handle

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
The probable reason for the 6 not stuttering and the 6 Plus having "issues" is because while both have the same specs, the hardware is having to drive more pixels on a larger screen.

However, I still believe all the iOS 8 lag and stutter issues are down to bad coding and laziness on Apple's part. The A7 and A8 are more than adequate for running UI animations smoothly. Apple need to slow down, they're spreading themselves thin with annual iOS, OS X, iPad and iPhone updates.

By the time iOS 8 is solid it'll be time for iOS 9 and we'll start the whole cycle all over again.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
iPad that didn't stutter on iOS 7 stutters on iOS 8, doing the same animations. And then you often hear "But the CPU and GPU are busy doing new processes introduced with iOS 8 features" - on my homescreen? Really? When everything has been closed and nothing is running, the CPU and GPU are churning away, doing intensive background processes that leaves no juice for rotating the keyboard stutter-free? That explains everything.

It's simply bad coding. Not a hardware issue.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The probable reason for the 6 not stuttering and the 6 Plus having "issues" is because while both have the same specs, the hardware is having to drive more pixels on a larger screen.

So does that mean the new iPad air stutters/lags also? Because that device pushes even more pixels than the iphone 6+. Can anyone confirm?

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
So does that mean the new iPad air stutters/lags also? Because that device pushes even more pixels than the iphone 6+. Can anyone confirm?

iPad Air 2 has twice the RAM and an extra CPU core.

The videos put up of the 6 Plus with rotation lag with keyboard are the same as iPad Air 1. Thankfully my replacement Air came with iOS 7.1.2.

----------

iPad that didn't stutter on iOS 7 stutters on iOS 8, doing the same animations. And then you often hear "But the CPU and GPU are busy doing new processes introduced with iOS 8 features" - on my homescreen? Really? When everything has been closed and nothing is running, the CPU and GPU are churning away, doing intensive background processes that leaves no juice for rotating the keyboard stutter-free? That explains everything.

It's simply bad coding. Not a hardware issue.

I'm back on iOS 7.1.2 on iPad Air after I took my Air to the Genius Bar to report slow wifi speeds on 8.1. I was offered a replacement out of goodwill but they had to order one in due to no stock. It arrived today and it came with iOS 7.1.2 and the difference is night and day. No keyboard delay/sluggishness when typing in Safari, no lag when bringing up the keyboard in Safari, far smoother UI animations, and rotation is far smoother with keyboard on screen.

On iPad Air on iOS 8.1 when you tapped the address bar and the current address went grey and slid to the left to reveal the full address (as well as the keyboard coming on screen) the sluggishness of the animation as the address slides to the left is horrendous. On iOS 7.1.2 it's smooth, but again this isn't due to demands on the hardware. iOS 8 is horrendously buggy and unoptimised and the thing will get stable about three months before iOS 9 is unveiled and we go again.

No thanks, I'll stay on 7.1.2.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
iPad Air 2 has twice the RAM and an extra CPU core.

The videos put up of the 6 Plus with rotation lag with keyboard are the same as iPad Air 1. Thankfully my replacement Air came with iOS 7.1.2.

----------

I'm back on iOS 7.1.2 on iPad Air after I took my Air to the Genius Bar to report slow wifi speeds on 8.1. I was offered a replacement out of goodwill but they had to order one in due to no stock. It arrived today and it came with iOS 7.1.2 and the difference is night and day. No keyboard delay/sluggishness when typing in Safari, no lag when bringing up the keyboard in Safari, far smoother UI animations, and rotation is far smoother with keyboard on screen.

On iPad Air on iOS 8.1 when you tapped the address bar and the current address went grey and slid to the left to reveal the full address (as well as the keyboard coming on screen) the sluggishness of the animation as the address slides to the left is horrendous. On iOS 7.1.2 it's smooth, but again this isn't due to demands on the hardware. iOS 8 is horrendously buggy and unoptimised and the thing will get stable about three months before iOS 9 is unveiled and we go again.

No thanks, I'll stay on 7.1.2.

Actually the safari keyboard lag is due to them now using the blur and transparency on the big drop down menu when you hit the address bar. I've read they turned that off in 8.1.1 and it's back to normal.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Actually the safari keyboard lag is due to them now using the blur and transparency on the big drop down menu when you hit the address bar. I've read they turned that off in 8.1.1 and it's back to normal.

Yeah but iOS 7.1.2 the entire page goes white and translucent when you tap the address bar and the favourites pop on screen.

It's not disabled on 8.1.1, I installed it on my Air the day before I took it in for replacement and it's still there. You can disable transparencies but when you see how well iOS 7.1.2 runs with the majority of those same effects enabled, it's galling.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
100% software problem. How is Apples quality control works for code? Problem since iOS 7 and iPad Air.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
When I updated my 5S to iOS 8 the scrolling animations got super jerky; I had assumed the hardware on the 6+ would fix it, but as you all know it doesn't.

I'm not 100% sure (of course) but I think it may have something to do with multitasking that's gotten less efficient. This is based on very unscientific observations.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Anyone with a Plus using the beta able to see any performance improvements?

PSB136

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
As above, does it fix?
If you mean the rotation lag when tilting the phone from portrait to landscape: yes, it's fixed it for both my iPhone 6 Pluses. The icons now rotate WITH the background image, instead of separately. Using 8.1.1 final. And no, it wasn't a placebo effect: I compared one phone with 8.1 against 8.1.1, with rotations. :)

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
If you mean the rotation lag when tilting the phone from portrait to landscape: yes, it's fixed it for both my iPhone 6 Pluses. The icons now rotate WITH the background image, instead of separately. Using 8.1.1 final. And no, it wasn't a placebo effect: I compared one phone with 8.1 against 8.1.1, with rotations. :)

Thanks for the update. Does 8.1.1 also fix the standard animations stutter?
(Stutter due to having to downscale and etc.?) Meaning are things more smooth on the Plus on 8.1.1?

Reason is because I do not have a Plus...just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.