Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Haven't heard if this breaks TAIG yet, but for those of you who may be planning to jailbreak, may want to do it NOW.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Haven't heard if this breaks TAIG yet, but for those of you who may be planning to jailbreak, may want to do it NOW.

Latest news is this:

Well it seems that the kernel exploit used in TaiG for iOS 8.1.1 is not patched as the kernel version is the same on 8.1.2 as 8.1.1.

https://twitter.com/iadam1n/status/542389322435919875

As mention there, just because the kernel hasn't changed doesn't mean that one of the other vulnerabilities hasn't been patched. But so far it is good news.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Nice. Yeah, glad to see Apple still left the back door open.

Remember, each .x version affects tweaks. I held off going from 8.1 to 8.1.1 because Springtomize had to be updated to support the .1.1 version number.

Even if Taig still works, tweaks will still have to be updated.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Nice. Yeah, glad to see Apple still left the back door open.

Remember, each .x version affects tweaks. I held off going from 8.1 to 8.1.1 because Springtomize had to be updated to support the .1.1 version number.

Even if Taig still works, tweaks will still have to be updated.

I don't think many will need to be updated, if any. I'm not completely sure, but I thought Springtomize didnt really need an 'update'. He just had code in the tweak that stated the iOS version was not supported. I'd hope that that won't happen again, at least for 8.1.2 lol (if its Jailbreakable of course).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think many will need to be updated, if any. I'm not completely sure, but I thought Springtomize didnt really need an 'update'. He just had code in the tweak that stated the iOS version was not supported. I'd hope that that won't happen again, at least for 8.1.2 lol (if its Jailbreakable of course).

I would think it would. If you're trying to protect the software from screwing up an OS, you tell it "check for version x,x,x,x" and if none of the versions match, an update needs to be added for that version. Otherwise if you allow any, then you run the risk of being the cause for a crash.

But yeah, shouldn't be a big deal, springtomize was the one and only thing I had an issue with last time.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Any idea what else was patched? The small size of the update in OTA suggests this is more a patch to fix that ringtone issue and maybe a few other small things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.