iOS 8.1.2 update locked my 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Hankmac, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Hankmac, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

Hankmac macrumors member

Hankmac

After I updated my phone and turn it on it says "open camera button" announces the time, then turns off and says" screen locked". If I turn it on with the home button and try my fingerprint it asks me to "enter passcode" and says "passcode zero value" and "screen locked", then after I enter my passcode it announces the digits, doesn't take them and then turns off. On other attempts it doesn't accept my fingerprint and makes a muted ding after I try. When I try to reboot by holding the on/off button down it shows the icon "slide to power off" and says "slide or double tap" and then waits a while and turns off and says screen locked. Sometimes but not always when I try to reboot by holding the on/off button down for a while it shows the white bitten apple icon like it's acting normal for about 20 seconds and then double buzzes and turns off.
    I was on the phone with support and wasted over an hour and got no where and was told to reset, nothing else would be possible. This is a 128Gb 6+ and I have over 2 months of pictures and research files that would be a total disaster for me to lose. I had exceeded my free iCloud backup which is my oversight but who would have thunk this update would spell disaster. I told the tech I had to explore all avenues since the research files would be a trying and difficult redo and the photos impossible. I was given a trouble ticket number told to escalate to senior advisor. So far I haven't been able to get through.
    Oh, I for to mention that while I was on the phone with apple support a friend called and I was able see who it was but I couldn't answer because the screen wouldn't acknowledge my efforts to respond.
    Any ides or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hank

2. predation macrumors 6502a

Maybe upgrade your storage capacity via customer service and hope your pics upload to icloud while charging and acreen off?

You should be able to check on web icloud website to see if your upload size increased?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

It sounds like some sort of accessibility features might be enabled. I'd check there and disable whatever isn't needed or even just everything to see if makes a difference. Have you also tried backing up and then restoring the phone and not putting a backup back on?

4. April Knight Suspended

Sounds like you have VoiceOver turned on.

Easiest way to turn it off is to plug your iPhone into your computer, open iTunes, go to your device's Summary tab, and click "Configure Accessibility..." Then, set it to "None."

5. saudor macrumors 6502

Or hold down home button and tell siri to turn voice over off

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Have you plugged the phone into your computer to connect to iTunes or tried a utility like PhoneView? http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/
    It sounds like this phone may have a hardware problem that's independent of the OS update so even this may not work.

7. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

Here's what iTunes reports:
    iTunes could not connect to the iPhone “ iPhone 6+” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.
    It's similar for eccam.
    Trying Sir I get: Siri not available. Your passcode is required when iPhone restarts. then it says, "Screen locked."

So far it looks like I'm screwed...but I have to be an optimist albeit a pissed off one!
    Thanks for the suggestions, watching for more.
    Hank

8. April Knight Suspended

You can still unlock your phone.

Use three fingers to swipe and bring up the passcode screen. Then, input your passcode. To input each number while VoiceOver is enabled, first tap the number once to highlight it, then double-tap it to actually input it. Repeat that for each of the numbers (tap once, then double-tap to input) and then ask Siri to turn off VoiceOver.

9. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

Hey April Knight

We were travelling and I just got to try "tap and double tap" and everything worked like you said. What a relief and surprise to have my 6+ working again. Apple Care needs to better train it techs.
    Thanks for the help, what a relief it is.
    Merry Xmas
    Hank

10. April Knight, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  11. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I totally agree and I hope you can pass it on to the desk in Austin.
    And most of all I thank you for monitoring and responding.

Sure is nice to have it working like it should.
    Hank