Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
This is a first for me ... the iOS update just bricked my iPad.

I tried to install the 8.1.3 update from my iPad (was running 8.1.2). It downloaded the release, and then tried to verify it. After a while, it came back with "Verification failed" and asked if I wanted to try again. I tried again, and again it tried to verify, and while trying to verify, the machine spontaneously rebooted. I logged in, tried one more time, and this time it spontaneously rebooted and now will no longer boot up. I just see the white apple logo on a black background forever. I did a hard reset and still nothing.

Sigh!!!

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I tried to install the 8.1.3 update from my iPad (was running 8.1.2). It downloaded the release, and then tried to verify it. After a while, it came back with "Verification failed" and asked if I wanted to try again. I tried again, and again it tried to verify, and while trying to verify, the machine spontaneously rebooted. I logged in, tried one more time, and this time it spontaneously rebooted and now will no longer boot up. I just see the white apple logo on a black background forever. I did a hard reset and still nothing.

Sigh!!!

Restore from iTunes.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Sigh!!!

Were you jail broken on 8.12?

2stepbay

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
Hawaii Island, Hawaii
Same thing just happened to me via my iMac, except I was updating via iTunes (OS 10.10.1). Now in the same loop with only the Apple logo showing on the iPad Air 2. Glad I backed up the iPad to my computer before starting what may turn out to be a fiasco.:eek:

Now on the phone with Apple...will post back.

By contrast, updated my iPhone 6Plus with no issues.

Turns out the problem was with my USB 2.0 Hub. After connecting the iPad directly into the computer the restore continued. Now, the iPad is restoring the various apps from my computer backup. The bad part...touch iD has to be redone...and possibly my credit cards for Apple Pay need to be re-entered into my passbook. I won't know for sure until the backup restore is complete. The Apple tech said it's important to check "encrypt local backup" when backing up to the computer if I want to preserve settings such as Apple Pay etc. Of course...that's news to me. :(

Yes...had to reenter all credit cards for Apple Pay. Not a big deal...just time consuming. I wonder if the cards are retained if the "encrypt" option is checked? Anyone have the answer???

Last edited:

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
IOS 8.1.3 Bricked my iPad Mini

Never happened to me before. OTA upgrade bricked my 1st gen mini. Updating via rMBP and iTunes.

My iPad Air upgraded OTA with no issues.

Haven't done the 6Plus yet.

Luckily, I backed up with encryption to my rMBP before upgrading.

Be careful.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Sigh. Every update someone comes on here to say their phone is 'bricked'. You'd think by now everyone would know what 'bricked' means.

If your phone doesn't even turn on it is a brick aka 'bricked'. It is almost impossible to brick an iDevice via a software update these days.

4buckster

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
I thought the same Lloyd but it actually happened to my wife's new (bought on Xmas Eve) iPhone 6 128gb yesterday. (Non-Jailbroke) She was out, got home and said her wireless and bluetooth were greyed out. Did a soft and hard reset; still no wifi or Bluetooth .. Checked for an update; sure enough it said 8.1.3 which surprised me as it was set to update automatically. Started the download - froze up (black screen with Apple logo). Connected it to her MacBook Pro; said it couldn't complete the update. Put The phone in restore / DFU mode (per Apple's website) - nothing :eek: ... Tried 3 times on her MBP; then mine and nothing worked. received error's 4013 and 4005. Took it in to the Apple Store this afternoon, Genius Bar told her it 'may' have been a lemon - BUT when she asked about our 2 kids iPhone 6's that haven't been updated yet .. He recommended they wait for a bit ... Hmmmm lol I was as surprised as anyone. Just thought I'd share #
Cheers

ArielZusya

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Denver, CO
I had a similar issue updating from 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 though mine downloaded without issue and then verified without issue. When it finished the install I received the "Connect to iTunes" message on my screen. That sucks since I don't currently have a home computer. I just borrowed a friend's to perform iPad Recover Mode. WTF Apple!

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Sigh. Every update someone comes on here to say their phone is 'bricked'. You'd think by now everyone would know what 'bricked' means.

If your phone doesn't even turn on it is a brick aka 'bricked'. It is almost impossible to brick an iDevice via a software update these days.

One from 1 billion iOS devices :rolleyes:

But it is legitimate to ask such questions around here whether or not you use an appropiate discription...

warden607135

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
United Kingdom
Make that two. My iPad really is bricked. Won't turn on.

iPad 2 64GB 3G; upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.1.3, not jailbroken. I decided I'd upgrade because iCloud wouldn't let me log in (although I can log in to iCloud on my Windows PC) and was getting more and more insistent about signing in. It was becoming unusable with a prompt at intervals of under a minute to enter a password which wasn't recognised.

And now: it is unusable. :(

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008

Not so fast. I had an iPad mini that had to be replaced. Everything functioned fine until I attempted an OTA software update. The verification step failed. I then tried to restore (iTunes and DFU) from 3 different computers (Mac and Windows). Got stuck at the verification stage and then wouldn't boot. Tried the previous version and also wouldn't verify.

Genius bar tried a restore, no go. Verdict -- a hardware problem that didn't present itself until the upgrade process. Bricked iPad. $200 out of warranty replacement fee for an iPad that was working perfectly before the attempted software update.

It happens.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Not so fast. I had an iPad mini that had to be replaced. Everything functioned fine until I attempted an OTA software update. The verification step failed. I then tried to restore (iTunes and DFU) from 3 different computers (Mac and Windows). Got stuck at the verification stage and then wouldn't boot. Tried the previous version and also wouldn't verify.

Genius bar tried a restore, no go. Verdict -- a hardware problem that didn't present itself until the upgrade process. Bricked iPad. $200 out of warranty replacement fee for an iPad that was working perfectly before the attempted software update.

It happens.

Wait, you had to pay 200 dollars for a hardware problem that simply a defect? Wow, the consumer protection laws in Murica are just awful. Well, more like shameful.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Wait, you had to pay 200 dollars for a hardware problem that simply a defect? Wow, the consumer protection laws in Murica are just awful. Well, more like shameful.

It was out of warranty, a year and a half old.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
It was out of warranty, a year and a half old.

So do we, but you see in this case you did nothing that would ever affect the hardware. You didn't crack open the iPad and mess with the circuitry or drop the device which might have made it go berserk. No, what you got was a defect. A product that wasn't even working properly once it was sold.

In Europe we have consumer protection laws that protects us from that. If I can prove to Apple or any other company that there's an issue with a product that could not possibly have been inflicted by me as a user, then 99% of the time they will replace that product for a new one. It's a fairly easy process and they won't give you a hard time. That law is valid for three years by the time you've purchased your product.

I actually had an iPhone 5 which needed a new screen. For some reason it had a yellow "frame" around the screen. It simply had a faulty screen. Point being, my warranty had run out, but I as a user could point to the fact that my 5 was in great condition (honestly almost mint), so they replaced the entire front screen free of charge, no questions asked. That would've cost me 143 dollars in the USD.

I don't want to come across as arrogant or gloating, I'm just very grateful for the fact that we have laws here that won't let companies screw over the consumers. I honestly feel bad for the people in the US, where you have a government that favours the corporations (hyperbole, but you get my point), squeezing every dime you have in your pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.