iOS 8.1+ Battery drainage problem.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Amethyst, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

I have found a problem with my iPhone 5s. It seem to be drain faster than iOS 7 era.
    Even standby, after it full charge on night. i unplugged it and go to sleep.
    After that i wake up, and found my battery has only 66%. as you clearly seen on picture 1-4.

What i have try :
    1 I have full restore, setup as new phone, full restore in dfu mode, full restore with other mac etc. <- no change.
    2 I disable all feature such as background app refresh, location service, push mail. <- no change
    3 After seen "Phone Low Signal". I try to put my iPhone in airplane mode, but the drainage hasn't stop.

Please help me fix this problem.

First night : Full charge at 2:54
    [​IMG]

8 hour later, after i wake up. please notice it show "Phone Low Signal" but in my situation my iPhone got full of signal (RSSI~77);
    [​IMG]

Second Night :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Have you always had a low signal for the phone? That appears to be draining your battery. Are you placing it in an area where the signal is weakest? Try a different placement.

3. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

He's got a -77dBm signal which is very strong. The signal shouldn't be the problem regardless of what the usage screen says.

4. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

At where i place my iPhone last night. I go into Field test mode and got this.

[​IMG]

5. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Vasilioskn

Try turning off Touch ID except for purchases

6. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

all picture you see above. include touchid disable.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

8. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

I do nothing with my carrier setting.

Thanks.

9. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Vasilioskn

Strange maybe a faulty battery? I'd back up and try to get a replacement phone

10. JackieNookah macrumors newbie

Same here on my 4S. After update to 8.1.1 the battery is a disaster. 'Usage time' equals 'standby time' with Phone app draining the most (over 50%) and showing 'low signal' (which is not true, since signal in my place is very strong). I had no problems with 8.1 and my battery is only 3 months old - it would last the whole day easily before updating to 8.1.1 and now it drains in 3 hrs.

11. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

If the usage time is equal to the standby time this could be caused by a rogue (bug) app which doesn't support the latest app and keeps running in the background (although you sometimes don't see this indicated in usage battary percentages per app in settings.

This seems as if an app keeps running in the background although you don't use it or allowed it to use it in the background.

Did you already check Battery usage to see which app you didn't use much (or not at all) but still causes a major use in battery? See also this article and this one on iMore.

I've had similar issues (with same usage and standby time) after i switched from iOS6 > iOS7. The problem was a local Dutch app (Scoupy) that caused the drain because it kept running in the background (iBeacon/GPS). I deleted the app and it resolved the battery drain. The app released an update (months later) which resolved the drain finally. It was however very hard in the previous iOS versions to find out the app which caused the drain. In iOS8 that is much easier now.

I've seen others who had background process off for e.g. Google Hangout and Skype but still had major battery usage since iOS8. I do have both those apps installed and don't have drain issues on my iPad mini2 on iOS8.1

Please look also into the apps who are allowed to use 'Background refresh', 'Location services' and 'Push Notifications' and decide which apps you really want to be using which feature this saves battery and you can find out which one (or more) are causing the drain.
    You can now in iOS8 even specify per app if you want it to be using GPS not just yes or no, but "Always", "When Using", and "Never" (if the app has been updated for iOS8 and supports adjusting this setting).

Also check out these great tips.

12. JackieNookah macrumors newbie

It seems I have found a solution in my case. I noticed some problems with my Exchange mail account recently - not being able to delete messages, lack of refreshing, logouts etc. So I deleted the account replacing it with standard GMail account and it appears my battery problems were fixed instantly. Today two hours of use and still over 90% battery!

13. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Yep another known source of the symptom you reported. Dates back to iOS5. Typically delete and re-add exchange acct or reset network settings would solve it.