Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
It used to be, you had pictures in your Camera Roll and they sync'd to your Photostream. Once in your Photostream you could then safely delete them out of your Camera Roll. Well, after installing iOS 8.1 the Camera Roll comes back as well as Photostream. Now, if you delete photos out of your Camera Roll, they also delete out of your Photostream. This is unexpected.

seanb61

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
I just deleted a photo in my camera roll that was also present in photostream, and it DID NOT delete from my photostream.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Just discovered the same thing. Annoying. I used to like being able to delete all the crap from my phone, then download to Aperture when I had time and delete from photo stream from there.

I hate stupid change.

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Oh I kind of like that concept. It allows you to share photos from two devices, yet if you want to delete a photo you don't have to delete it twice.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
So whats the point of having both a camera roll and a stream if once you delete a photo in either or its deleted?

Khakimzhan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Actually it is not strange, you just have iCloud Photo Lubrary (Beta) turned ON. If you will turn it off, there will be a camera roll. Still "all photo" behaves the very same way

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I'm on 8.1. I don't have a camera roll. Mine just says "All Photos". Very strange.

Thats because you have iCloud Photo Library enabled. Either way though, if you delete a photo from All photos or camera roll, it will delete from all devices..not too happy about it.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
I like this since it doesn't duplicate pics on my phone. I actually liked Recently Added, but this works too. It will be a little confusing for people at first.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Actually it is not strange, you just have iCloud Photo Lubrary (Beta) turned ON. If you will turn it off, there will be a camera roll. Still "all photo" behaves the very same way

Thanks. Was a confusing description by Apple. I'm glad. I like it the way it is now.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Did it beak the facebook photo upload for anyone else? It was showing the last 3 photos now it is sorted with all the videos first.

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
If I use the iCloud Photo Library, do I still need to use or have Photostream turned on?

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
To differentiate where a photo originated, perhaps, and the fact that the stream is a turn on/off feature unlike the camera roll.

oh ok i gotcha. i am just so use to how it was before ios8.

its was easy keep the stuff i want on the cloud and delete from the roll so its not in two different places.

i tend to screen shot and keep alot of crap i find off twitter or the internet. lolz

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada

Ahhhh I was going to ask about it too now another question
My photo stream vs iCloud photo library(beta) both option stores photos in iCloud...so why do we have two options?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.