iOS 8.1 feels OK so far.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iolinux333, Oct 20, 2014.

1. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I just thought I'd drop in a thread to discuss 8.1 on the iPodT5.

It feels slightly less laggy.

iMessage sync is working so far.

No app crashes yet, though I'm sure that's coming.

No obvious glaring bugs discovered so far, no minor ones discovered either.

Overall in about an hour's usage, I give it thumbs up.

2. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

Thanks for posting. I think the same happened with iOS 7 with 7.1 being a major improvement to speed and battery. Numbers is my most used app (go figure) and it is slightly slow to load- mostly works well in iOS 7. I am very reluctant to upgrade without a path to better hardware if the thing slows to a crawl.

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

iPod Touch 5 working well so far on iOS 8.1 No crashes, yet. Handoff with my iMac works great now. Will test the car connection when wife gets back.
    Most of the other stuff worked ok before the update.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Thank you, who have so boldly gone before me!

Still haven't updated, mostly because I always use iTunes and my computer, never OTA, and haven't had the time to babysit an update.

5. Homme macrumors member

can anyone who has a Touch tell me if you can make calls and send texts to an iPad or Mac

because Apple has updated their continuity support page

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6337

it says only iPhone can make the calls and send SMS Relay to iPad, iPod Touch (yes it says that) and Yosemite

... can anyone with an iPod Touch 5G go to settings, messages and see if you have text message forwarding...

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Was the latest IOS 7 much faster than IOS 8.1 on a Touch 5 (i.e. is it worth upgrading ?).

7. iolinux333 thread starter macrumors 68000

It looks like it will work, says "using your iPhone," and shows the regular iPhone calling screen complete with keypad, etc., but then says "Call Using iPhone Failed." I tried this with my AT&T iPhone5 and my T-Mobile iPhone 5s.

It can see the phones, because if I take them off the WiFi, the iPod tells me to turn WiFi on, on the iPhone.

So I think this is a bug. Hopefully they'll fix it with a future update, it would be nice to have.

It doesn't really matter to me much because I almost always just use Hangouts/GV for all calls as everyone knows me Google Voice number that I've had for years and years. Heck I don't even know what my cell phones' numbers are because it just doesn't matter - which is of course the greatest fear of the oligopoly telcos - their days are numbered.

8. Johnick macrumors member

8.0, 8.02 and 8.1 all ran/run fine on my 5th gen 32gb iPod touch, very surprised given how similar it is to the iPad 2 which apparently runs awful.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Is there a compelling reason to upgrade now to 8.1 on a Touch 5 ?

10. Johnick macrumors member

For me, no, I just guessed if 8.0 worked fine on it the later versions were unlikely to be worse.

11. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

does handoff work on ipod touch? Might buy it for gym usage since i don't want the 6 plus with me in there

12. saudor macrumors 6502

it did in the beta

13. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

Then I will get iPod touch tbh. It's just so typical Apple to never reduce the price regardless how old the product is :mad:

14. saudor macrumors 6502

they technically did by a bit this year but meh. luckily i only use this thing for music/working out/running so the A5 is good enough for me

15. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

Yeah that's what I would do too. The reason I asked about handoff is because I take notes during my workouts. If the touch has pages with handoff I won't have to edit the document on my computer at home as well.

16. Solver macrumors 6502a

Handoff works fine on my iPod Touch 5 (w/iOS 8.1)

17. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

Just what I wanted to hear! :D Will wait until christmas time before buying it though. There might be some sale!

18. iPadCary, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Absolutely! I do it all the time. Like someone here said: the telcos days are numbered! lol
    Of course, you can just use FaceTime & Skype to communicate for free,
    but you asked about phone calls, so here are the FREE phone apps that I use on my iPod Touch 5 ....

1] Just Download & Dial!: FreedomPop
    2] Gotta Sign Up Seperately From Your Google Account First: Google Voice
    3] Starts Off With 10 Free Credits Then It's $1/60: Talkatone

Enjoy! :)
    And by the way, to your question: iOS 8.1.0 runs perfectly [ZERO lags/hiccups] on my iPod Touch 5.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I guess I will keep using Skype since I refuse to sign up for a google account :D.