iOS 8.1 - iPhone 5 battery problem

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by vfuto, Nov 6, 2014.

1. vfuto macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    I've got a problem with my iPhone 5.
    When I go to sleep, my phone has 100% of battery,
    but when I wake up, the phone only got around 30%-40%..
    Wifi/3G all that stuff were turned off..

Here is a screenshot from iBackupBot..

CycleCount: 33
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1500
    BatteryCurrentCapacity: 68
    BatteryIsCharging: true
    ExternalChargeCapable: true
    ExternalConnected: true
    FullyCharged: false
    GasGaugeCapability: true

Do I need a new battery?

2. saudor macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2011
    That battery looks pretty much new with only 33 cycles. Try a reset all settings it might fix the problem
  3. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    I bought it a few weeks ago, its used..
    It might be a non-original battery?
  4. pacorob macrumors 68000

Apr 8, 2010
    the Netherlands
    This seems as if an app keeps running in the background although you don't use it or allowed it to use it in the background.

Did you already check Battery usage to see which app you didn't use much (or not at all) but still causes a major use in battery? See also this article and this one on iMore.

I've had similar issues (with same usage and standby time) after i switched from iOS6 > iOS7. The problem was a local Dutch app (Scoupy) that caused the drain because it kept running in the background (iBeacon/GPS). I deleted the app and it resolved the battery drain. The app released an update (months later) which resolved the drain finally. It was however very hard in the previous iOS versions to find out the app which caused the drain. In iOS8 that is much easier now.

I've seen others who had background process off for e.g. Google Hangout and Skype but still had major battery usage since iOS8. I do have both those apps installed and don't have drain issues on my iPad mini2 on iOS8.1

Please look also into the apps who are allowed to use 'Background refresh', 'Location services' and 'Push Notifications' and decide which apps you really want to be using which feature this saves battery and you can find out which one (or more) are causing the drain.
    You can now in iOS8 even specify per app if you want it to be using GPS not just yes or no, but "Always", "When Using", and "Never".

Also check out these great tips.
  5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds like there's a replaced battery in there. It doesn't seem like there's an issue with it based on the numbers, but perhaps there's something with the phone itself since it's been opened and battery has been replaced. Hard to say.
  6. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    I did a full reset, but it didn't work..
    Here is the Battery Usage
  7. pacorob macrumors 68000

Apr 8, 2010
    the Netherlands
    That is a lot of battery percentage on your Home & Lockscreen.

A few questions:

1. After the full reset you no longer have any apps installed (except from the Apple pre-installed apps)?
    2. Did you recently install apps on your iPhone which are maybe causing the drain because they are not yet updated for iOS8 and contain a bug?
    3. Is you usage time the same as your stand-by time?
    4. Did you recently install iOS8 and have you seen battery drain since then?
    5. Any changes in mail fetching/pushing frequency and/or changes in type of receiving the e-mails
    6. Are apps allowed to run in the background (refresh)
    7. Are apps allowed to use GPS/location? Please look carefull in the apps you really want to allow to use GPS.
    8. Do you use a lot of widgets in your notification center?
    9. Have you read this article.
  8. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    2.After the reset,I was installed a 15 apps
    4.I bought the phone with iOS 8.1, the previous user said that it was all ok with iOS 8.0.2
    5.I didn't set up any email account yet, only icloud
    6.I've just disabled it..
    7.Only Twitter,and Messenger, and all of system services
    8.Nothing, basic iPhone notification center, after the reset.
  9. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    I realize, I made a mistake with installing everything again,after the reset..
    Tonight I will make another full reset,and earese everything.
  10. border terrier macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Your 61% home & lock screen figure is skewed due to the 100% battery % however I have big issues with battery life on a 5s running 8.1 and my home & lock screen is definitely a problem as it's almost always the highest or 2nd highest percentage. Phone has touch iD set and phone always locked immediately. I rarely visit the home screen for more than a few seconds at a time.

Currently home & lock screen is showing at 28% (2nd highest) and overall battery left is 74%. Actual usage is showing 1 hr 40 mins but half of that is whilst talking with applecare and running their checks etc. I've lost 20% in the past hour despite only talking to applecare this morning about the issue and running their tests. I can almost see the battery % dropping off. I restored the new phone as a 'new phone' and added back only half a dozen apps manually, no Facebook etc added this time. No background processes showing to any degree listed in battery drain stats.

This is a brand new replacement iPhone 5s I got yesterday from the apple store to replace a previous 11 month old phone that had the same issue with, since iOS 8.1 installed. This replacement is just as bad if not worse. Currently applecare has asked me to restore as new again and to not add any apps which I have done. I just turned off background refresh after the reset and set up iCloud including email. The phone is currently untouched on my desk but has lost 3% battery life in the past 25 mins despite not being used (other than this short check which took 2 secs).

Unfortunately as the phone now isn't fully charged the reset wiped all battery stats. What I have noticed is the first 5 or 6% of battery drain usage after a full charge can take 40 to 80 minutes but once below 94% the % drops quickly, almost in 'jump-steps' which can be 2% or 4% changes in 15 or 20 minutes, despite the phone remaining untouched.

This is a real problem!
  11. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
  12. border terrier macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2013
    In the end Apple supplied me with a replacement brand new 5s and the battery on this is fine running 8.1 and now 8.1.1, much better. Currently at 2hrs 24mins use for 20% drain. I've never ever managed more than 7 hrs battery for a full discharge and typically around 5.5 for 90% drain. Looks like this will be 10 hours+ at this rate of discharge. Happy days!
  13. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    Thats nice!
    So overall, this is a software or a hardware problem?
  14. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Jun 12, 2013
    Winnipeg, Canada
    u said the battery is "used", it probably wasnt done at the apple store..if this is the case, u really wonder why its so bad...?

take it to an apple store..
  15. vfuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2014
    my iPhone is used..

But yeah, I'll take it to an apple store..