ios 8.1 on ipad 4

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by deaglecat, Oct 20, 2014.

1. deaglecat macrumors 6502

2. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

My iPad 4 is close to unusable with 8.1... iOS6 on my old iPhone 3GS was faster! I've gone back to using my MBA a lot more as my iPad 4 is crazily frustrating to use... Constant tab reloading in Safari, all animation are choppy, photos or Facebook lag like hell and, most annoyingly, there's a ginormous keyboard lag issue. I am extremely disappointed with iOS8 so far...

3. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

It isn't too bad. But I hate the Safari effing tab reloads.

4. iOZZY macrumors member

Mine seems fine, iOS 8.1 has made mine a lot faster compared to iOS 8.0.2

The only stutter I get is rotation with the keyboard up. Safari seems pretty swift and stable.

Better battery life, 16hrs usage on last charge cycle.

Think this will be the last major iOS update i'll do to my ipad 4 though. Not prepared to spend a month using early slow buggy revisions again!

5. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

Ditto. I wont go to iOS 9 thats for sure. 3 iOS versions are the max any device can go before it turns into an usable brick.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My iPad4 is fine on iOS8.1 (of course it was a clean restore, never an upgrade - it can make all the difference in the world).

7. Act3 macrumors 65816

My iPad 4 will remain on 7.1.2, as safari seems faster on it than it does on my iPhone 6 running 8.1

8. jenre macrumors member

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Yup.
    Definitely slower not discounting other issues. I have seen significantly more RAM issues on my iPad 4.

I'm wondering if the OS was designed knowing that the Air2 will have double the RAM.

10. dhlizard, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So are you implying the software engineers disregarded the iPhone6 & 6+ when designing iOS8 and focused the update on just the new iPad hardware (because it surely seems that is what you are implying).

While the iPad part of Apple's market share is significant, the iPads for which Apple supplies firmware are dwarfed by the number of iPhones Apple supplies firmware for.