iOS 8.1 on shipped iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by vegaapple, Oct 29, 2014.

1. vegaapple macrumors newbie

Quick question guys. What iOS was shipped on your iPhone 6's you received this week or last, iOS 8.1? My current iPhone 4s is at iOS 8.1 and wasn't sure if the unopened iPhone 6 I received this last week, has the newest OS on it. (I know... unopened right?!...crazy!)

Does it matter for restore from iCloud or iTunes, if your old phone has a newer OS than the new phone? Just curious...

2. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

Mine had iOS 8 or 8.0.2 and I got mine a week or two ago.

3. 66gonzo macrumors regular

I just got a replacement iPhone 6 plus at the apple store this past Saturday and it came with iOS 8.0.0

4. vegaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Since my old iPhone 4s has the newest iOS 8.1 on it, you guys see an issue with me restoring my iPhone 4s Backup onto a new iPhone 6 even thought the 6's iOS is older?

5. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I haven't. I restored froom the last date I backed up my old phone. After everything restored I updated 8.1.

6. vegaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. So, the restore backup worked from a newer iOS 8.1?

Then just update the new iPhone 6 to iOS 8.1? Sounds good. I won't worry then.

7. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

Yep, I had to borrow my sis-in-law's 4S because my 5 took a swim. I had no issues at all. Best of luck!

8. indefinitekarma macrumors member

9. vegaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my iPhone 6 upgrade tonight.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Same here. 8.0.something. I didn't really look. I hadn't set a phone up as new in a while so I figured this was as good a time to shake out any possible accumulated cobwebs. Shouldn't be any but by starting fresh I won't wonder "what if" should I have any issues.

To restore from backup instead, should be easy enough to set up as new, update iOS, then wipe phone and setup up again but from the iCloud or iTunes backup.

11. vegaapple, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

vegaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

See, I kinda like this setup you mention.

-Turn on the new iPhone 6
    -set up as new phone
    -update to latest iOS 8.1
    -erase phone completely
    -turn it back on and restore from your old iPhone's backup which was iOS 8.1

Seems the cleanest way, but I'm not sure if it's overkill. I may do it still

UPDATE:

Also for prepping my upgrade tonight. I just:

- reset the network setting on my old iPhone 4s running iOS 8.1
    - I then held down the home button and power button until the apple logo appeared, guess this flushes RAM that buggy settings and apps may have
    - I then did a itunes backup of the 4s running iOS 8.1
    - now I'll use this backup for restore on my new iPhone 6 tonight after I flush that phone and install iOS 8.1 on it

*maybe more overkill, but hoping for a bug free transition of phones

12. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

When I get my phone, is there a way to tell what version of iOS is on it before upgrading?

13. cplush macrumors member

i picked up a 6 at verizon that had just been delivered on saturday. it had 8.0.2.

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Got a 6+ from Apple and it came with 8.0.2. Not a 6, but this came from a recent shipment.

15. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Ok, so the question is, can we restore from a backup of our old phones that were on 8.1 to the 6/6Plus that is on an older version?

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My 6+ shipped with 8.0.2. updated it as soon as I took it out of the box

17. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

If you pick it up from the Apple store they should be able to tell you. If it's delivered to home you may have to turn it on and do the basics to get to the settings/about screen

No. The (new) device has to be the same or newer version iOS than the backup you want to restore onto it.

So your 8.1 backup cannot be restored to an 8.0.x device until the device is upgraded to 8.1.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simply update the new phone to the latest version of iOS and put the backup on that.

19. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

So I'd have to take it home and restore it first right before restoring from back up right?

20. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

Right. Apple Store could load the update for you but how long that takes, I don't know. Depends how busy they are.

I had 8.1 on an iPhone 6 that had a defect. The store replaced the iPhone 6 but the replacement was still on 8.0.2. They offered to update it at the store but it was a very busy night for them (and me) so I just took it home as is.

Once home I set up the phone just enough to get onto wifi. Upgraded to 8.1. Then did a restore from iCloud of my backup.

21. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Do you mean that you just went past the Wi-Fi set up screen and stopped? Or went through the whole thing and didn't really put in any information like Apple ID, etc?

22. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

I skipped through everything except I did enter the wifi info.

I think I skipped Apple ID. (Can't recall exactly: if it let me skip it I did)

Skipped use icloud, skipped passcode. Anything it let me skip to get it set up.

Then I went into settings to software update and updated to 8.1.

When that was over I did an erase all content and setting. Then started all over but chose restore from backup and entered all the necessary info.

23. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I'm getting my phone at the Verizon store, is there a way that they can check what iOS version is on the phone?

24. iPhil, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well my iPhone 6 is on 8.0.0 and my iCloud backup version is on 8.1 from iPhone 5 .. just upgraded today and I need to update to 8.1 before restore via iCloud .. I'm currently on hold wit apple tech support... :confused:

No iTunes 12 version on Mavericks or Yosemite will "see" the phone since its brand new phone ...

Edit: if your iCloud backup is 8.1 and iPhone 6 or 6+ is on 8.0.0 = setup as new phone then update to 8.1 then restore to your backup 8.1.. took me 45 mins on hold for 4 mins of info.. that i didn't know ..