iOS 8.1 on the 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ipooed, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I know there are numerous threads on this topic, but I want to know honestly if it is worth updating from 7.1.2, I am very "OCD" when it comes to little flaws ex: lag, respring etc are there a lot of these in iOS 8.1? Battery life? I am currently getting about 6hrs on 7.1.2 before the need to charge.

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat.
    Currently running 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5S (jailbroken). With today's official release of iOS 8-8.1 Jailbreak I am attempted to upgrade and as you may know, there's no come back to 7.1.2.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm very happy of iOS 8.1 on both my iPad air and my iPhone 5S

4. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

My battery life was great on my 5S when on iOS 7, now since iOS 8 it's got gradually worse since 8.0, it's terrible at the moment on 8.1. I could get a full day out of the battery, now I need to charge by 4pm after taking off at 6/7am

Even my wife is moaning about it and she rarely moans anything to do with her phone, if she's moaning then it's bad...but that's just our case, it might be different for you.

5. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

The main problem is that Apple does not allow us to roll back to prior versions of iOS #.
    Our option, so, is to try. If it works all goood, ok, otherwise we must stick with it #

6. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Same behavior here. While yesterday I woke up at 4am and by 8am I was down to 68%, I had to plug it in at noon, or won't make it to the afternoon, today has been totally different. I woke much later, 7am, and is 6:16pm and I still got 29%. Not stellar, like when 7.1.2, but definitively better than yesterday.

The thing that bugs me more is the inconsistencies. One day is good, the other day is bad. I'm very sad with 8.1 battery performance. I love it, but I'm truly looking forward to start testing 8.2, and see if this gets fixed in the new release.

7. cplush macrumors member

dont. i regret it. i had phenomenal battery life on my 5s, updated to iOS8 and have since had to upgrade to a 6 to get my battery life back. i was at 6.5 hrs of usage per battery charge on a 7 month old 5s with location off, background app off etc when i got rid of it.

8. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

Thanks for the heads up this 5s is only about 2 months old, upgraded from a 5c (with awesome battery life 8+ hours of usage 7.1) to a 5s with a little over 5 hrs usage (7.1.2) I honestly believe apple doesn't give to *****s anymore..... They wanna see how long they can get away with doing things half a$$ed while we keep lining their pocketbooks!

9. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

Try a few of these tricks:
    Try limiting Background App Refresh to things that you feel are important.
    Under System Services, shut off all but the first two.
    Under Location Services, only keep them on for stuff that is important to you. For instance, Sports Center App doesn't really needs to know where you are.

Your battery usage should lessen. I've tweaked these settings since iPhone 4.

10. WK95 macrumors newbie

update IOS 8.1

i already have a iOS 8.1.ipsw file,can i upgrade my iPhone 5s without internet?

11. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

not possible.

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yes, it's worth it. I didn't have any regrets running 8.1.

13. MacinAppleTosh macrumors member

8.1 has noticeably decreased the battery life on my 5s as well.
    I do feel it runs quicker overall and enjoy the new features.
    You basically need to decide if the new additions are worth less battery life.

Personally I think the latest version of iOS 7 ran great on the 5s and unless there's something that you really want that is included in iOS 8, I would hold off on updating.

14. Strange Famous macrumors member

I had to update to 8.1 on my iPhone 5c for test flight. 8.1 works just fine for me, no noticeable slowdowns. I haven't paid much attention to battery life, its always been crappy...

15. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

16. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I found that my 5s was fairly busy shortly after the upgrade to iOS 8, and battery life was shortened for a few days.

Now, battery life is every bit as good as it was on iOS 7. I don't regret upgrading at all.

17. liteshow macrumors regular

I say unless you really need the new ios 8 features, stay with ios 7. You cannot gurantee if the upgrade will mess up your phone as their is no turning back. My 5s has some intermittent LTE issues (slower download speeds) on all releases of ios 8, even after doing an itunes restore and setting up as new. Lots of other 5s users I have asked on this forum do not have this problem, so go figure why my phone is affected.

Exactly - that is why we have so many of us so unsure about updating the the ios because you can't revert back, and it seems the updates affect differently for different phones.

There is a security risks if we were allowed to revert back to just any release/unpatched version of ios, but Apple should let us revert back to the latest major (security patched) release that the phone came with. In the case of the OP, allowing us to go back to 7.1.2 if our device has issues with an 8.x.x. 11 months from now, when ios 9 is released, 5s owners should still be allowed to revert back to 7.1.2 or 8.x.x (latest patched release).

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I've been experiencing tons of bugs...I'd say it's a toss up. If you want the new features, go for it, but in my opinion it's still too buggy. :confused:

19. Cablekevin macrumors member

Agreed! WiFi still sucks 5S @ 8.1.

20. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

Thanks for the replies! I am gonna hold off and stay on 7.1.2 I would really like to try out the new keyboards :( but I'd rather stability than features